Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Next season's Championship & Betting Odds

I don't want Huddersfield up. They have one of the hottest properties outside of the Premier League in Jordan Rhodes and financially they will be the most competitive out of the League 1 teams that are in the playoffs. Grayson is a good manager too and he knows the Championship well. Stevenage and Sheffield United if promoted will probably have the smallest budgets in the division. The Blades debts are huge and they will be slashing their wage bill even if they go up. Both of them will struggle. I would happily see United promoted for that reason but obviously my preference is Stevenage. I'm ruling out MK after their loss at home to Huddersfield. I hope West Ham go up too out of the playoffs because they will undoubtedly be a strong side next year if they are still in the Championship.

I fancy us to have a good season but I think talk of promotion is off the mark. Southampton had spent a lot more money than us in League 1 and next seasons division will be much tougher than when they went up. The promoted teams (Wednesday and Charlton) are much stronger than the rubbish that got relegated to League 1 this time. Top half is achievable for us I think, and if we sign well then maybe we will have a shout of making the playoffs. We have momentum, a good Championship manager in Dave Jones, no money worries, one of, if not the best home and away support in the division, and a top young striker who is the real deal in Gary Madine. We have a lot going in our favour.

I expect Leicester to be top 6 minimum.

I'd quite like Huddersfield to go up, I went to uni there, could do with an excuse to go back!

Knowing my luck the away game will be on a Monday/Tuesday/Wedesday night anyway though!

I'd like to see Huddersfield get promoted. They are a big club, they take a good following wherever and I do have a bit of a soft spot for them. Although I love West Ham away, I'd like they to get promoted, leaving Blackpool in our division.

Will be a tough division again. There will be some decent games as well. And some good derbies will be played as well; Blackburn & Burnley, Bolton & Burnley, Bolton & Blackburn, Forest & Derby, Palace & Brighton, Palace & Charlton, West Ham & Millwall maybe, Wednesday & Barnsley, Birmingham & Wolves etc

Sky will be spoilt for choice re broadacastable derby games....regardless of respective league positions at the time.

Guest BlueBrett

Am I the only one who thinks the championship will be a lot easier next season?

I think you probably are.

Bolton 10/1 second favourites lol. I'm gna lay the shit out of that

Am I the only one who thinks the championship will be a lot easier next season?

Charlton-shef w and any of the teams coming up are a million miles better than cov-donny and pompy.

West ham might end up in the league again :0- Instant favourites for the title and rivals for our transfer targets again,

Blackburn- Bolton and wolves all have the potential to go up and unless Blackburns owners dont see sense are likely to use parachute payments to get them out the division at the first time of asking.

Bolton for me will do a similar thing to Brum,,,,, sell the majority of the squad and replace them with decent championship players, keeping one or 2 premiership standard players that make them a good side in the division.

Early rankings from me - 1- West ham 2-Bolton 3- Charlton 4- Blackburn 5-Us 6-Brighton 7-Wolves 8-Cardiff 9- sheff weds - 10-Brighton 11 Leeds 12- forest 13-Ipswich

And for me any of those teams could make the top 6 (as well as huds if they come up) The rest of the division doesnt scare me. If I was offered this finish now I would probably take it.

I say we will finish 8th, will be very tough next season and depends on who we sign, we could have a promoting winning season or a woeful mid table season.

God knows how we have been installed as favourites.

I say we will finish 8th, will be very tough next season and depends on who we sign, we could have a promoting winning season or a woeful mid table season.

God knows how we have been installed as favourites.

Cos they think we'll splash the cash again probably

Cos they think we'll splash the cash again probably

Exactly right, see how teams progress in the transfer window and go from there.

Think it will be very tough for us next season, think the likes of Brighton will get stronger, Charlton should be dangerous, Leeds with a fresh new season under Warnock could be up there. Blackburn, Bolton and Wolves should all still be strong despite relegation, Bolton and Wolves more than Blackburn though.

West Ham or Blackpool will still be in this league aswell, gotta fancy one of them again to maybe get automatic promotion.

Tough very tough season ahead.

Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves will not be strong next season.

Wolves and Blackburn are in crisis and Bolton are in SERIOUS debt. I am much more concerned by Wednesday and Charlton.

I honestly think despite the more competitive league, we'll be in the top 6.

I'm a Bolton fan, surprised to see you are favourites, think you will do Ok but play offs at best.

Would worry about West Ham if they stay down.

Don't underestimate Bolton. Not as many are leaving as you may think. A forward line of N'Gog and Sordell should be prolific at that level plus midfield of Chung Lee, Holden, Mark Davies, Petrov, Pratley, Eagles is a very strong midfield in championship.

We deserved to go down as got less points than 17 other teams but were crippled by injuries to our best two players all season. With decent luck next season we should win that league.

Anyway best of luck to your lot for next season, looking forward to two good games and a nice trip to Leicester!

I'm a Bolton fan, surprised to see you are favourites, think you will do Ok but play offs at best.

Would worry about West Ham if they stay down.

Don't underestimate Bolton. Not as many are leaving as you may think. A forward line of N'Gog and Sordell should be prolific at that level plus midfield of Chung Lee, Holden, Mark Davies, Petrov, Pratley, Eagles is a very strong midfield in championship.

We deserved to go down as got less points than 17 other teams but were crippled by injuries to our best two players all season. With decent luck next season we should win that league.

Anyway best of luck to your lot for next season, looking forward to two good games and a nice trip to Leicester!

So if your going to keep all these players how are you going to half your wage bill like your chairman says you have to??? Your dreaming if you think you will keep all them players!

Bolton will lose a few, that's a given. They will however retain a strong squad, they're in a large amount of debt but they're hardly Pompey. They'll be around about the top six but I don't see them as an automatic promotion bet.

Blackburn look an absolute mess. Clueless owners who want to get rid, big debts and a mass exodus around the corner. Mid-table beckons.

Wolves are always strong at this level but I'm not convinced by their managerial appointment, Mick McCarthy was a bloody good manager at this level whereas Stale Solbakken has never managed in England and will take time to adjust. They do however have a squad that knows what it takes to succeed at this level and reasonably healthy finances, key ingredients to bounce back. Top six again.

Charlton stormed League One and have, in my view, a future England manager in Chris Powell. They signed well to get out of League One last summer and will have momentum on their side after amassing over 100 points this season. However, we let players like Dany N'Guessan and Yann Kermorgant go for a reason so they'll need to strengthen if they want to emulate the achievements of Southampton and Norwich. Top half and flirting with the play-offs.

Sheffield Wednesday have an experienced Championship manager in Dave Jones and huge support with some decent players. Are they going to mount a promotion challenge with the likes of Miguel Llera and Chris O'Grady though? It looks doubtful without strengthening, and that might not come from an insane chairman who may well strip Wednesday of their biggest asset if they don't hit the ground running. They should have enough to avoid getting dragged into the wrong end of the division though. Mid-table.

We released Paul Robinson, Robbie Blake and Sean Davies. Ivan Klasnic gone. Nigel Reo Coker, Jussi Jaskellinen, Gretar Steinsson and Zat Knight also gonna go. With a number of younger fringe players also being released that takes care of a large chunk of wage bill. A lot of players who are staying are on reduced salaries for championship as part of their contracts.

Bolton will lose a few, that's a given. They will however retain a strong squad, they're in a large amount of debt but they're hardly Pompey. They'll be around about the top six but I don't see them as an automatic promotion bet.

Blackburn look an absolute mess. Clueless owners who want to get rid, big debts and a mass exodus around the corner. Mid-table beckons.

Wolves are always strong at this level but I'm not convinced by their managerial appointment, Mick McCarthy was a bloody good manager at this level whereas Stale Solbakken has never managed in England and will take time to adjust. They do however have a squad that knows what it takes to succeed at this level and reasonably healthy finances, key ingredients to bounce back. Top six again.

Charlton stormed League One and have, in my view, a future England manager in Chris Powell. They signed well to get out of League One last summer and will have momentum on their side after amassing over 100 points this season. However, we let players like Dany N'Guessan and Yann Kermorgant go for a reason so they'll need to strengthen if they want to emulate the achievements of Southampton and Norwich. Top half and flirting with the play-offs.

Sheffield Wednesday have an experienced Championship manager in Dave Jones and huge support with some decent players. Are they going to mount a promotion challenge with the likes of Miguel Llera and Chris O'Grady though? It looks doubtful without strengthening, and that might not come from an insane chairman who may well strip Wednesday of their biggest asset if they don't hit the ground running. They should have enough to avoid getting dragged into the wrong end of the division though. Mid-table.

To add a bit of balance Chris O'Grady hasn't started for us for months. He will in all likelihood be moved on and Barnsley are the club he is being linked with.

We have a fair bit of strengthening to do to be competitive but if any club has momentum going into next season it is us. Charlton were faltering a bit towards the end of the season whereas we won 10 and drew 2 of our 12 games under Dave Jones. I agree mid-table is probably where we will end up but write us off at your peril. I think we'll finish above Charlton.

We have a fair bit of strengthening to do to be competitive but if any club has momentum going into next season it is us. Charlton were faltering a bit towards the end of the season whereas we won 10 and drew 2 of our 12 games under Dave Jones. I agree mid-table is probably where we will end up but write us off at your peril. I think we'll finish above Charlton.

Got to admire your optimism, but Charlton won 6 and drew 1 of their last 7 - hardly stumbling over the line. We did finish like a train though - similar to Southampton in 10/11 - hopefully we can carry some of that momentum forward. If we make a decent start then we should be able to get 27k+ through the turnstiles on a regular basis and upwards of 30k for the teams with bigger followings (Leeds/Forest/Leicester/Dorbeh etc). As you say though, strengthening is key, and it should be a bit easier than in previous seasons. It's refreshing being linked with some decent players for a change.

Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves will not be strong next season.

Wolves and Blackburn are in crisis and Bolton are in SERIOUS debt. I am much more concerned by Wednesday and Charlton.

I honestly think despite the more competitive league, we'll be in the top 6.

West Ham have serious debts and Birmingham's owner has been locked up for embezzlement this has not stopped them finishing

in the top 6 with Blackpool. Make no mistake the 3 teams coming down from the Prem will be the ones to beat.

Got to admire your optimism, but Charlton won 6 and drew 1 of their last 7 - hardly stumbling over the line. We did finish like a train though - similar to Southampton in 10/11 - hopefully we can carry some of that momentum forward. If we make a decent start then we should be able to get 27k+ through the turnstiles on a regular basis and upwards of 30k for the teams with bigger followings (Leeds/Forest/Leicester/Dorbeh etc). As you say though, strengthening is key, and it should be a bit easier than in previous seasons. It's refreshing being linked with some decent players for a change.

Well going by last year, they'll disappoint you massively.

lol no

hmmm. TBH if West Ham win tomorrow I can't see any clear favourite for the title. I just never fancy the smaller clubs that come down from the Premiership like Bolton and Blackburn, their crowds drop and they often have to offload all their best players. They just don't seem to have the bounce-back-ability that the likes of us and West Brom have had at various times in our history (and yes I know we've not been back in 8 years)

A lot depends on what managers they get. If Bolton keep Coyle and Blackburn keep Kean I can't see them doing well.

It's going to be wide open I think, we've as much chance as anyone, we've just got to do our business right and go into the season with a positive mentality

i think we have the best manager in the league. and everythings in place! to add to 2 league cups,league 1 title and 2 play off wins. I realistically want the championship title and the fa cup to complete the collection. I have faith we can win the league next season. and the FA cup sometime in my lifetime
:)

Archived