Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester Lass

De Laet and Matty James.

When De Laet was at Norwich I didn't get the impression that he was quite premiership standard. I remember him making a few bad judgement calls and I'm fairly sure I recall him making a poor back-pass to let in a striker in one match.

I'll give him time to prove me wrong before I start outright slating him mind. NP must see something in him and that's good enough for me for now.

It was to Di Santo, so at the time he probably quite rightly thought no harm would be done.

Merc

New Leicester City signing Ritchie De Laet says City are a perfect fit for him.

The 23-year-old Belgium international said the main reason he chose to join City from Manchester United was because the club matched his own ambition.

De Laet joined United in 2009 and has enjoyed loan spells at Sheffield United, Preston North End, Portsmouth and Norwich City.

He said that he couldn't wait to get into action for his new club after his move, which also included the arrival of midfielder Matty James from United.

"I spoke with the manager (Nigel Pearson) and he is looking forward to the new season as much as I am," said defender De Laet.

"He said they want to go places and want to be at the same place I want to be, so it is a perfect match.

"It was time to move on. I wanted security for the family as well.

"I want to settle down somewhere. I have been out on loan a lot over the past few seasons and I think I have been everywhere in England.

"I just want to settle down, find my feet and, hopefully, achieve good things."

De Laet is used to the best working environment from his time with United, but said that he was impressed with the facilities on offer at City.

"I went to see the stadium a few days ago and it is very impressive," he said.

"I have seen the training ground and I have been really impressed with all the facilities.

"Having come from United, and being at Norwich as well, you come here and realise that it is a really good standard.

"I am really looking forward to being here every day and trying to do well for Leicester City."

De Laet has had a taste of the Championship with Pompey, where he was a team-mate of City striker David Nugent.

The new recruit admitted that the division could be even tougher next season.

"With the teams coming down, there will be some big teams in there, and there are still big teams in it from last year. It will be a really hard league," he said.

"But I am looking forward to playing in it with Leicester and hopefully doing some great things.

"I know a few of the lads. I know Danny Drinkwater from United and Nugent from being on loan at Portsmouth.

"I am looking forward to joining up with the group and, hopefully, it won't make it that hard to get to the know the other lads as I know some already."

Midfielder Matty James said he feels his career is just about to start now he has completed his move to Leicester City.

The 20-year-old joined in a permanent move from Manchester United, a deal which included the arrival of Belgium defender Ritchie De Laet, on Tuesday night.

He said he is ready to make the step up from playing reserve football to help City's promotion push next season.

The England under-20 international said he had a fantastic schooling at United, but said the time was right to move on and play regular first-team football, and he believes City match his ambition.

"I definitely feel my career is about to start," said James, whose only previous first-team experience was a loan spell with Preston North End.

"It was hard to leave United because that was all I had known.

"The loan move to Preston was good for me as it put me in to the real world. I wasn't in the bubble of Manchester United, I was playing real man's football.

"I think going back to play for United reserves was hard because I had already had a taste of first-team football.

"There comes a time when you have to say you are ready to go and prove yourself.

"When this opportunity popped up, I was over the moon. The history of the club, the fact it was a Premier League club, the fanbase is good and now they have the ambition to get back there.

"They want to improve and move forward. They want to go up. Some clubs are just happy where they are but Leicester City are moving in the right direction. You can sense the ambition straight away."

James, who was born in Bacup, Lancashire, said he feels his best position is central midfield but knows he has fierce competition to establish himself in Nigel Pearson's engine room.

"My best position is central midfield, definitely," he said.

"I am a box-to-box midfield player. I like to get the ball down and pass it and I will try and get on the score sheet as much as possible.

"I know the competition will be fierce. If the team is going for promotion, we need that competition. We need that strength in depth.

"If a player knows he is playing every week then sometimes he could let his standards slip, but every day you have to train well and impress the manager. That makes everyone play well.

"The competition for places is good and that is one thing you must have at a club."

Wolves have missed out on a new left-back signing after ex-Manchester United starlet Ritchie De Laet chose Leicester City instead.

The 23-year-old Belgian had been watched regularly by Wolves assistant and then interim boss Terry Connor at the back end of last season after he returned from a six-month loan at Norwich City.

But De Laet, who was snapped up by Sir Alex Ferguson after being released by Stoke City, has opted to join one of Wolves' anticipated promotion rivals on a three-year deal.

The backroom staff at Molineux were attracted by his ability to play left-back and centre-back, but so was Foxes boss Nigel Pearson and his friendship with United reserve team boss Warren Joyce may have helped persuade De Laet to choose Leicester instead.

Wolves have missed out on a new left-back signing after ex-Manchester United starlet Ritchie De Laet chose Leicester City instead.

The 23-year-old Belgian had been watched regularly by Wolves assistant and then interim boss Terry Connor at the back end of last season after he returned from a six-month loan at Norwich City.

But De Laet, who was snapped up by Sir Alex Ferguson after being released by Stoke City, has opted to join one of Wolves' anticipated promotion rivals on a three-year deal.

The backroom staff at Molineux were attracted by his ability to play left-back and centre-back, but so was Foxes boss Nigel Pearson and his friendship with United reserve team boss Warren Joyce may have helped persuade De Laet to choose Leicester instead.

Let's just hope this signing is better than the last signing that chose Leicester over Wolves.....

Promising that we are beating our promotion rivals to signings. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

After reading a good number of posts about de Laet, James and Cole - I decided to create a user and reply. I am a United-fan and have seen practically every reserve and academy-game over the last 4-5 seasons so I think I am in a pretty decent position to explain the strengths and weaknesses of these 3 players.

De Laet - true he had a poor spell at Norwich - but it was a bit down to 1 horrible mistake in one of his first matches which saw him dropped and after that Norwich went on a really good run and he never reclaimed his place. De Laet is not just quick - he is lightning quick. Probably the quickest United-player after Valencia last season. He is very good as an attacking full-back but he can be sloppy defensively. He can however usually get out of his own mess due to his pace. He is more than decent in the air and a good tackler. His biggest asset in addition to his pace is the fact that he can play in a lot of positions. Central defender, left back (never seen him played right back - but he should probably do that just as well) and in the last matches at the reserves he played as a striker - and was brilliant as a striking partner to England U-21 Int, Will Keane. He timed his runs to perfection and ran defenders ragged. He is well worth the risk for you guys

Matt James - a player I really rated 2-3 years ago. He used to play in central midfield for the academy with Drinkwater and then later on, Corry Evans. Matt James is not a winger or a right midfielder as some claim. I am sure he can play there - but it's a bit like when United played Fletcher as a right midfielder. He can do the job - but he won't be a great player there. James is a central midfielder or a central defender where he also played at academy-level. His main problem is his pace - he is not quick. He is a above-average tall, fairly strong player with a superb long-pass. When Macheda made his breakthrough for United 3 years ago following some superb reserve-performances, quite a few of his goals were assisted by a Matt James pass over the defense. He will probably need some time after being out for 6 or so months with injury but what you will get is a young, determined footballer who is good in the air, who is a good tackler in midfield, with a good pass - but who is a bit slow!

After reading many posts about where De Laet and James can play and what their strengths and weaknesses are this post above is the best guide imo if anybody missed it.

• 3 weeks later...

Havent had a chance to see any training or pre-season matches but was wondering how does Matty James look?

Better than Drinky? more skilful?

I only saw the Shrewsbury game and he wasn't that involved (Although not many players were). But the United fans seemed to rate him as a real prospect before his injuries, with most seemingly a lot more disappointed with his departure than De Laet's. I think I'm more excited about James than any of our other new signings personally, does seem like he's been forgotten already by most of our fans who are instantly jumping to the conclusion we need another new CM before they've seen him play. Will hopefully do well for us.

Enjoy.

I only saw the Shrewsbury game and he wasn't that involved (Although not many players were). But the United fans seemed to rate him as a real prospect before his injuries, with most seemingly a lot more disappointed with his departure than De Laet's. I think I'm more excited about James than any of our other new signings personally, does seem like he's been forgotten already by most of our fans who are instantly jumping to the conclusion we need another new CM before they've seen him play. Will hopefully do well for us.

Enjoy.

I think he seems forgotten because I can't see him being ahead of the likes of Danns, Drinkwater and King. He seems to be a cover for these players but we will have to wait and see. Also no-one had heard of him when we signed him which doesn't help if there from the UK, unlike the other signings.

Archived