Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester Lass

De Laet and Matty James.

After reading a good number of posts about de Laet, James and Cole - I decided to create a user and reply. I am a United-fan and have seen practically every reserve and academy-game over the last 4-5 seasons so I think I am in a pretty decent position to explain the strengths and weaknesses of these 3 players.

De Laet - true he had a poor spell at Norwich - but it was a bit down to 1 horrible mistake in one of his first matches which saw him dropped and after that Norwich went on a really good run and he never reclaimed his place. De Laet is not just quick - he is lightning quick. Probably the quickest United-player after Valencia last season. He is very good as an attacking full-back but he can be sloppy defensively. He can however usually get out of his own mess due to his pace. He is more than decent in the air and a good tackler. His biggest asset in addition to his pace is the fact that he can play in a lot of positions. Central defender, left back (never seen him played right back - but he should probably do that just as well) and in the last matches at the reserves he played as a striker - and was brilliant as a striking partner to England U-21 Int, Will Keane. He timed his runs to perfection and ran defenders ragged. He is well worth the risk for you guys

Matt James - a player I really rated 2-3 years ago. He used to play in central midfield for the academy with Drinkwater and then later on, Corry Evans. Matt James is not a winger or a right midfielder as some claim. I am sure he can play there - but it's a bit like when United played Fletcher as a right midfielder. He can do the job - but he won't be a great player there. James is a central midfielder or a central defender where he also played at academy-level. His main problem is his pace - he is not quick. He is a above-average tall, fairly strong player with a superb long-pass. When Macheda made his breakthrough for United 3 years ago following some superb reserve-performances, quite a few of his goals were assisted by a Matt James pass over the defense. He will probably need some time after being out for 6 or so months with injury but what you will get is a young, determined footballer who is good in the air, who is a good tackler in midfield, with a good pass - but who is a bit slow!

Larnell Cole - if he should join Leicester in any capacity - you should start celebrating. This guy has a lot of potential. I read some guy on here claiming he wasn't worth having because he hadn't made his debut for United yet. Well - Larnell turned 19 about 2 months ago - but he and another young player we have called Jesse Lingard have both been late developers because they are a lot more skillfull than physically developed. But both of them have taken major steps in the last 18 months or so. Larnell Cole is so talented that I would be worried if we sold him. On loan - fine, but not as a sale! As a player he reminds me a lot about Ramires of Chelses. He is small, with lightning quick legs - he can play either in central midfield or out on the right. He is good at running at players - and he is slippery with players around him. He is not quick like de Laet is - but his legwork is so impressive that he can glide past most players. And now he can also deal with the more physical part of football better as he is a more muscular player than he was a year ago. This guy is talented - and can go really far if he develops correctly.

Excellent post! Looking forward to seeing these guys on the football pitch, hopefully they live up to your descriptions. City fans are quick to jump on the negative bandwagon so I hope people give them time, as I'm sure NP can get the best out of them.

Fergie is more often right in recognising that players are up to being Man U 1st teamers but many of the players he lets go do go on to be very good premier league players for their new clubs or the club after. These 2 guys are very good talents and will be outstanding additions to the team.

I have to confess, I am tad concerned with these two signings. Da Laet would be a good signing and provide cover at right-back or take the first team place from Peilter. However, we already have quite a few central midfielders and I can't see how we could fit James,Drinkwater,King,Danns and Wellens into two slots so I have a feeling either James or Drinkwater will be pushed out on the wing. I would prefer to see Nigel signing a winger.

James,Drinkwater,King,Danns and Wellens into two slots so I have a feeling either James or Drinkwater will be pushed out on the wing. I would prefer to see Nigel signing a winger.

As I mentioned elsewhere certain people slaughtered Pearson for not having more CM's on the books when we picked up some injuries and suspensions last season, so it seems he can't win either way.

Wellens is getting on a bit and is currently injured so it's likely he will be a bit part player, and King has been badly out of form for a long time.

Just remember,

Wellens is a flaming dog turd of a player.

Get rid man, get rid.

We may well have been planning on getting rid of him and Gally, with his injury and what's happened to Gally they might be around for a while even if long term their future isn't here.

IMO just the 'type' of player ( though I personally have no idea whether they are fantastic or not?) that Svennis should have signed.

Now, through in one or two good older heads and the squad will be looking much more healthy.

We still need another good goal maker and taker and a bit more pace in the team I believe.

PVA....Bruma? These WERE the type of signings Sven signed. And PVA and Bruma were much more highly rated than these two. Both had Champions League and Premiership experience.

Hindsight is wonderful though.

PVA....Bruma? These WERE the type of signings Sven signed. And PVA and Bruma were much more highly rated than these two. Both had Champions League and Premiership experience.

Hindsight is wonderful though.

? They were on loan..

And destined to leave us as soon as the season finished?

These are permanent signings...

Apparently it's pronounced Ritchie de LAT which is great news chants-wise.

"De Lat's the way, ah ha ah ha, I like it, ah ha ah ha."

Just thought I'd get that in there early.

For gods sake, keep this alive and in the memory. It's a keeper.

I'm quite optimistic about these pair after reading the United fan's view earlier in the thread.

It's not a bad place to be getting the young and hungry talent off the production line at Man U that isn't quite up to being in the top few sides in the premier. That's more than good enough for us.

I wish someone would at least use some different superlatives than young and hungry though .... it really is going to get boring if we don't have any different words for the typical NP player - and let's face it he's going to keep getting them from the same mould!

When De Laet was at Norwich I didn't get the impression that he was quite premiership standard. I remember him making a few bad judgement calls and I'm fairly sure I recall him making a poor back-pass to let in a striker in one match.

I'll give him time to prove me wrong before I start outright slating him mind. NP must see something in him and that's good enough for me for now.

When De Laet was at Norwich I didn't get the impression that he was quite premiership standard. I remember him making a few bad judgement calls and I'm fairly sure I recall him making a poor back-pass to let in a striker in one match.

I'll give him time to prove me wrong before I start outright slating him mind. NP must see something in him and that's good enough for me for now.

The next SSL then

Archived