Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Burnley sign Luke O'Neill

Fellow Championship team, Burnley have signed ex-City player Luke O'Neill from Mansfield, for an undisclosed fee. Didn't we let him go recently for free - I hope there was a sell-on clause ?! In the one game I saw him for City he looked pretty good and a mate who supports Tranmere (where he was on loan), really raved about him. A right back as well - just what we need now ! An England Youth International - and still only 20. Must have done well for Mansfield, if Burnley have signed him so soon after leaving us. A decent player lost to City, I'm thinking.

Dropped down to non league, looked decent and has moved to a fellow Championship side. I'll only say he is a 'decent player lost' if he lookes good for Burnley, I mean, he was released for a reason.

Ah well

For all we know Levi Porter could still turn into the greatest player on earth

Good on Burnley for investing in English youth, but really dont feel we lost much

Wish Luke all the best in his career still

Ex Leicester nd all

I wish him well and hope he turns into a very good player in the future.

I admire players like this who get released by clubs, drop down the leagues but keep their chip up, work hard and get another chance to shine. Fair play to the lad. :thumbup:

Luke was a brilliant player, but with Peltier, Pantsil and Moore and even St Ledger available on right back, it was not so strange that he was released, but he is an England youth international and knows his football, good luck at Burnley

Maybe he didn't care massivley about our academy lads because we're rich. :/

which would be why he gave another contract to Parkes Bolger and pro terms to Schlupp & Moore allowing all out on loan to develop during his time here and instead of sending Schlupp on loan for all of last season, which would of been the "safe" option kept him here and gave him his debut. Did you ever consider that Luke O'Neill just wasn't that good when he was here and a full season playing in the Conference means has helped him develop Burnley now see him as being good enough to be their BACK UP right back?

which would be why he gave another contract to Parkes Bolger and pro terms to Schlupp & Moore allowing all out on loan to develop during his time here and instead of sending Schlupp on loan for all of last season, which would of been the "safe" option kept him here and gave him his debut. Did you ever consider that Luke O'Neill just wasn't that good when he was here and a full season playing in the Conference means has helped him develop Burnley now see him as being good enough to be their BACK UP right back?

Sort of makes you think we should of kept him and loaned him out to a BSP side doesn't it?

Sort of makes you think we should of kept him and loaned him out to a BSP side doesn't it?

no it doesn't! He looked out of his depth and we didn't have a reserve team so we can only keep so many younfger pros, you can't manage with hindsight, he didn't look like he wou8ld make the grade and frankly we still don't know he will, Kieran Trippier will be their 1st choice and O'Neill will be playing cup games unless he gets injured. We already have Liam Moore who is a little younger and played well at Bradford and has looked better for US when playing at a higher level then O'Neill ever did.

NP, for all his faith in younger players has used King & Mattock as regulars, Gradel & Schlupp as semi regulars with cameos for Hopper & Panayiotou, O'Neill didn't get a chance under Pearson either

Always thought his release was silly,looked to have bags of potential when on loan at Kettering,the same with Theo Brown who was released this year form the academy.Both bad calls form the academy team!!!!

I don't think his release was silly, and I fully agree with Jimmy's posts in this thread. Just because O'Neill is playing for a Championship team now, people seem to think we've lost something. I don't, he did look out of place against Sheffield United, but maybe that was understandable. He looked good for Mansfield (non-league), and as above, "he looked to have bags of potential when on loan at Kettering"... But to be fair, there is a massive difference between non-league and Championship.

Good luck to him. He has worked hard from Mansfield to Burnley, but there is a reason we released him and not other players around his age. Lets see how he is at Burnley, that's if he does play.

Guest parky0607

Ah well

For all we know Levi Porter could still turn into the greatest player on earth

Dont be daft! Not whilst Leon Crncic is around...

21.06..2012 - TCF NEWS EXTRA

Released by Sven, back at Burnley

Luke O'Neill was described as a great talent when at the club, but last season Svennis decided to let the player leave on a free. Luke O'Neill has now been rewarded with a new chance at Burnley, after a great season with Mansfield in the Conference.

Luke O'Neill was not offered a chance by Sven, but Eriksson described O'Neill as a promising player, too see him now joining Burnley for a relatively high fee, is also a new example of what went on when the Swede was at the club.

Short term ambitions made Sven and his team overlook a number of the younger players who could do a job.

O'Neill was capped at England Youth Level, and last season playing some great games for Mansfield Town. He played 43 league games and scored 3 goals during his short spell at the Conference club.

We wish Luke O'Neill all the best at Burnley, and believes that he can go on and become a great player at the highest level if given a proper chance.

Still only 20 years of age and the future in front, who knows were this can end.

He might not have a been regular first team choice for the time being, but when you think about players like Moussa and Pantsil given a chance, then it might have been wise to keep O'Neill, loaned him out to Mansfield and taken him back to be part of a promtion push at Leicester.

Archived