Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Pre-Season Build Up

Merc

The majority of the Leicester City squad were back at Belvoir Drive yesterday for a pre-season training fitness test.

Manager Nigel Pearson had the players in to assess their fitness after a longer than usual summer break before they officially report back for pre-season training on July 9.

Goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel and defender Sean St Ledger were absent as they have been given extra time off after Euro 2012, while Richie Wellens is still recovering after undergoing knee surgery at the end of last season.

Jeff Schlupp, who also underwent knee surgery towards the end of the last campaign, was able to join in.

"Hardest fitness ever today! Felt good running outside again though," he tweeted.

Neil Danns also missed the end of last season because of a groin injury but he came through the fitness test.

"It was tough, expected nothing less, but done it," he tweeted.

I know very little about conditioning, but given thatplayers are on contracts and that fitness is a massive part of them being able to fufill their obligations to a club, I'm amazed that more clubs don't punctuate the long break from action by holding some sort of 'get together' for fitness purposes in the middle of the close-season ? I understand that players need to rest and recuperate, but, given that so few are involved in Internationals, surely nobody could argue that having a 5-day session somewhere in the middle of the break could be anything other than bemeficial to players overall fitness come kick-off day ?

I know very little about conditioning, but given thatplayers are on contracts and that fitness is a massive part of them being able to fufill their obligations to a club, I'm amazed that more clubs don't punctuate the long break from action by holding some sort of 'get together' for fitness purposes in the middle of the close-season ? I understand that players need to rest and recuperate, but, given that so few are involved in Internationals, surely nobody could argue that having a 5-day session somewhere in the middle of the break could be anything other than bemeficial to players overall fitness come kick-off day ?

I think one thing is always constant under Pearson. If we don't do well at the start of the season it won't be because the players are short of fitness, organisation and discipline.

This 'fitness deadline day' was set by Pearson at the end of last season and is taken very seriously at the club.

Doesn't surprise me - he's bang into his fitness and sports science. Even makes the players wear heart monitors to bed if this article in The Mail from a while back is to be believed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1224943/THE-MIDLANDER-Pity-poor-WAGs-Leicester-City--manager-Nigel-Pearson-makes-players-wear-heart-monitors-bed.html

One thing you can guarentee is that come the first game of the season, those lads will be as fit as NP can possibly get them.

Merc

The majority of the Leicester City squad were back at Belvoir Drive yesterday for a pre-season training fitness test.

Manager Nigel Pearson had the players in to assess their fitness after a longer than usual summer break before they officially report back for pre-season training on July 9.

Goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel and defender Sean St Ledger were absent as they have been given extra time off after Euro 2012, while Richie Wellens is still recovering after undergoing knee surgery at the end of last season.

Jeff Schlupp, who also underwent knee surgery towards the end of the last campaign, was able to join in.

"Hardest fitness ever today! Felt good running outside again though," he tweeted.

Neil Danns also missed the end of last season because of a groin injury but he came through the fitness test.

"It was tough, expected nothing less, but done it," he tweeted.

That's what I like to hear.

Get those players fit and in line, Nigel, as I know you will.

They do get training schedules and stuff that they're told to keep to over the break. I think the mental rest they get over the break is just as important as the physical break. Match fitness only comes from playing games anyway, there's only so much you can do during pre-season, you have to get the most out of your friendlies.

As said above players will be given schedules and expected to maintain their own levels of fitness, for most of them it will be drilled in to their lifestyle anyway. As for the 5 day session say in the middle of the break, it wouldn't really have any rewards unless you were to maintain that level of exercise throughout the rest of the break and into pre-season, otherwise you would return to where you were.

Some great responses above. Thanks. Interesting though. Lots of clubs say they go abroad for spells in warmer climates when more intensive attention can be paid to set plays and stuff without players standing around getting cold over here in middle of winter. Points above kind of answer the fitness thing, but i still wonder if our mild summers wouldnlt be a great time to begin to address some tactical issues. Obviously, not all squad come the opening match will be in place, but surely squads are always fairly fluid with relatively high attrition rates ???? Damn it, maybe I just want to know that they're doing something to be better the next season than they were the last !! 28th April to 9th July is a heck of a long time not to be heavily invovled in something you are a professional in !! Can't think of anything else, (off the top of my head), where such a huge gap is the norm ????

Can't think of anything else, (off the top of my head), where such a huge gap is the norm ????

It's a gruelling season in the championship, you play the best part of about 50 games, you're away from your family every other week... I think a couple of months off during the summer to rest up physically and mentally isn't too much to ask really. After a long hard season, the last thing you want is to be called in to work for sporadic training sessions during the break - I can understand that you want to see improvement from the squad and see them doing everything they can to better themselves as players, but rest is just as important as hard work. Everyone, in every walk of life, needs to get away from work for a while to recharge their batteries, if you didn't your performance would drop like a stone.

I think after about 9/10 months of playing football, a couple of months away from it all, where you can completely stop thinking about the game, would do you the world of good - there's a reason it's been like this for years and years - it's the best thing for the players, you come into pre-season training in July chomping at the bit, full of energy and enthusiasm. I wouldn't be surprised if the players who've played in the Euro's this season come back to their clubs a bit jaded.

It's a gruelling season in the championship, you play the best part of about 50 games, you're away from your family every other week... I think a couple of months off during the summer to rest up physically and mentally isn't too much to ask really. After a long hard season, the last thing you want is to be called in to work for sporadic training sessions during the break - I can understand that you want to see improvement from the squad and see them doing everything they can to better themselves as players, but rest is just as important as hard work. Everyone, in every walk of life, needs to get away from work for a while to recharge their batteries, if you didn't your performance would drop like a stone.

I think after about 9/10 months of playing football, a couple of months away from it all, where you can completely stop thinking about the game, would do you the world of good - there's a reason it's been like this for years and years - it's the best thing for the players, you come into pre-season training in July chomping at the bit, full of energy and enthusiasm. I wouldn't be surprised if the players who've played in the Euro's this season come back to their clubs a bit jaded.

Take your points, but not sure I agree ! Very few of our players are at the Euro's. Very few people are rewarded for working hard at their job for 9/10 months by being given 2 months off ! Are you ? I know I'm not ! I'd love to see my MD's face if I suggested that I should get 10 weeks off because I'd been working for 9 months and been away from my family for the odd evening !! I would guess 99% of people on here would kill to have such a "gruelling" job ! Most of us have to leave our family for the odd day each week - very few of us are so handsomely recompensed for doing so. Very few of us work such relatively small hours each day and are then able to be reunited with our families so early each day. I have no issue with players pay and conditions, (despite my contributions to this thread), but to say they need to be rested for 2 months because of the rigours of their work is just ludicrous. It happens because, as in most organisations, "the way we do stuff" just gets rolled from yesterday into tomorrow without anyone really questioning why. I totally get that pro sport is a brutal affair and takes its effects on the body and that those effects need to be managed. But there is no way that we wouldn't be better organised, (and possibly the body and mind better prepared), for next year if we had done something like 3 weeks rest and recuperation, two weeks of fitness / conditioning and tactical analysis, three weeks of rest and recuperation. There are thousands of people, even on this forum, who have physically demanding jobs and don't get a fraction of the recovery time being afforded to pro-footballers.

Take your points, but not sure I agree ! Very few of our players are at the Euro's. Very few people are rewarded for working hard at their job for 9/10 months by being given 2 months off ! Are you ? I know I'm not ! I'd love to see my MD's face if I suggested that I should get 10 weeks off because I'd been working for 9 months and been away from my family for the odd evening !! I would guess 99% of people on here would kill to have such a "gruelling" job ! Most of us have to leave our family for the odd day each week - very few of us are so handsomely recompensed for doing so. Very few of us work such relatively small hours each day and are then able to be reunited with our families so early each day. I have no issue with players pay and conditions, (despite my contributions to this thread), but to say they need to be rested for 2 months because of the rigours of their work is just ludicrous. It happens because, as in most organisations, "the way we do stuff" just gets rolled from yesterday into tomorrow without anyone really questioning why. I totally get that pro sport is a brutal affair and takes its effects on the body and that those effects need to be managed. But there is no way that we wouldn't be better organised, (and possibly the body and mind better prepared), for next year if we had done something like 3 weeks rest and recuperation, two weeks of fitness / conditioning and tactical analysis, three weeks of rest and recuperation. There are thousands of people, even on this forum, who have physically demanding jobs and don't get a fraction of the recovery time being afforded to pro-footballers.

I didn't claim it wasn't a cushy job, I know it's pretty much the best job in the world - that's a given. Professional players must wake up pinching themselves most days. However football is nothing like any other job in the world - you can't compare the holiday of an office worker, or a builder, or a teacher to that of a footballer. I'm not saying 'oh poor, poor footballers, they deserve a break' - I'm saying they need it.

My point is that for 10 months of the year its a very gruelling, physically demanding and high pressure job and you're training and playing games constantly, you need to give your body ample time to recover. I think not having such a lengthy break and getting players back in training quicker would be completely counterproductive, managers all around the world obviously think the lengthy break is necessary, or they'd have their players back in training earlier, but they don't - most even think a winter break would be beneficial in England to let the players recover more. In the top 2 leagues in European countries, you've not just got to be fit, you've got to be at your absolute physical peak to compete in every game. The stress and strain of playing football week in week out takes its toll and if you don't allow your body and mind adequate time to recuperate, you're going to suffer as a consequence. As I've already said, NP is a big advocate of sport science and he takes fitness very seriously, but he obviously thinks the current break is the right length. I just think with the amount of effort you have to put in over the season, the break doesn't seem much of a big deal to me? One of the perks of the job. As well, it's not like they're doing nothing - they still have to look after themselves and maintain a high level of fitness.

BTW, my point about the Euro's wasn't about our players, but just about players in general - didn't make that very clear.

I still don't see how having Gallagher and Wellens in the team is going to help our promotion chances, even Dyer should only be considered as an impact sub... hopefully our starting starting midfield will be..

Marshall Drinkwater Danns (new left winger)

Gallagher and Wellens should be replaced IMO.

Some great responses above. Thanks. Interesting though. Lots of clubs say they go abroad for spells in warmer climates when more intensive attention can be paid to set plays and stuff without players standing around getting cold over here in middle of winter. Points above kind of answer the fitness thing, but i still wonder if our mild summers wouldnlt be a great time to begin to address some tactical issues. Obviously, not all squad come the opening match will be in place, but surely squads are always fairly fluid with relatively high attrition rates ???? Damn it, maybe I just want to know that they're doing something to be better the next season than they were the last !! 28th April to 9th July is a heck of a long time not to be heavily invovled in something you are a professional in !! Can't think of anything else, (off the top of my head), where such a huge gap is the norm ????

Professional Santas, they get shed loads of holiday, And Zeppelin test pilots. Not as much as the doorman on the Cov City trophy room though!!

I didn't claim it wasn't a cushy job, I know it's pretty much the best job in the world - that's a given. Professional players must wake up pinching themselves most days. However football is nothing like any other job in the world - you can't compare the holiday of an office worker, or a builder, or a teacher to that of a footballer. I'm not saying 'oh poor, poor footballers, they deserve a break' - I'm saying they need it.

My point is that for 10 months of the year its a very gruelling, physically demanding and high pressure job and you're training and playing games constantly, you need to give your body ample time to recover. I think not having such a lengthy break and getting players back in training quicker would be completely counterproductive, managers all around the world obviously think the lengthy break is necessary, or they'd have their players back in training earlier, but they don't - most even think a winter break would be beneficial in England to let the players recover more. In the top 2 leagues in European countries, you've not just got to be fit, you've got to be at your absolute physical peak to compete in every game. The stress and strain of playing football week in week out takes its toll and if you don't allow your body and mind adequate time to recuperate, you're going to suffer as a consequence. As I've already said, NP is a big advocate of sport science and he takes fitness very seriously, but he obviously thinks the current break is the right length. I just think with the amount of effort you have to put in over the season, the break doesn't seem much of a big deal to me? One of the perks of the job. As well, it's not like they're doing nothing - they still have to look after themselves and maintain a high level of fitness.

BTW, my point about the Euro's wasn't about our players, but just about players in general - didn't make that very clear.

Excellent response - very clear and articulate. You're probably right - I'm far from convinced about my own points, but was enjoying thinking out loud on a slow day of working from home !

OS

It is a time of year that has been traditionally dreaded by footballers in the past.

But City midfielder Andy King says he is looking forward to starting pre-season training next week, as the Foxes begin their preparations for the 2012/13 campaign.

While the modern professional tends to keep himself in better shape during the summer months than perhaps was the case in years gone by, most would still testify to the shock to the system early-July brings.

After the best part of ten weeks' rest and recuperation following the exertions of 2011/12, the next five weeks will see Nigel Pearson's squad building the basis of the fitness reserves that will need to last them until next May.

That inevitably means some hard work is on the horizon, but King says the squad will be ready for whatever is thrown their way.

"You always know it's going to be tough, but that's how it has to be to make sure we're all in good shape for the start of the season," he told lcfc.com.

"They don't just make us run for the sake of it, it's all worked out in great detail by the sports science and medical staff so that we are where we need to be as we count down to the first game.

"If we put the hard work in early, the games will come round quickly enough. I'm sure everyone's looking forward to getting back playing again."

Due to an earlier finish to accommodate Euro 2012 and a later start to make way for the London Olympics, it has been a long summer for King and his team mates, who kick off the new npower Championship campaign at home to Peterborough United on Saturday 18 August.

And having underachieved in the division last season, King admits the squad will be eager to get started and make up for last term's disappointment.

"I'm looking forward to getting back," he said.

"It's been a long summer and I finished last season only just getting over an injury so it will be good to get back. I'm hoping for a better season, both for the team and from a personal point of view.

"Being injured last season was the first time I've spent a long period out since I've been playing for the Club, so hopefully that's a long way behind me and I can help us get promoted next season, which is what everyone wants."

That opening day visit of the Posh, plus the trip to Torquay United in the Capital One Cup a few days before, and the trip to Charlton in the league a few days after, will be the main focus for Pearson's squad now.

But King had a similar reaction to many supporters when he first saw City's fixtures for the new season.

"Forest away on the last day is obviously one that will stand out for the fans," he admitted.

"But that's nearly a year away and there's an incredible amount of hard work in store before we can even think about where we'll be then.

"Peterborough gave us two difficult games last season so that will be a difficult game to start, then we go to Charlton and you always know a promoted club will be a challenge to play against so early in the season.

"At the end of the day, you've got to play everyone twice and every game in the Championship is a hard one, so the order of the games shouldn't make too much difference."

OS

Casting his eye over a squad already showing several changes from last season, City manager Nigel Pearson declared himself happy with the business the Club had managed to do by the opening day of pre-season training.

But with five weeks still to go before the 2012/13 season gets under way, the Foxes boss admits there could yet be more alterations, as he moulds his squad for an assault on promotion to the Premier League.

Pearson has adopted a selective approach in the transfer market this summer, bringing in defender Ritchie De Laet, midfielder Matty James and striker Jamie Vardy to bolster a squad trimmed considerably from last term - defenders Matt Mills and Sol Bamba among the latest to depart.

And having watched his new recruits settling comfortably into their new surroundings this week, Pearson reflected on an astute close-season.

0,,10274~11031172,00.jpg

Pearson with new recruits (left to right) Jamie Vardy, Matty James and Ritchie De Laet.

"I think it's always important to get some fresh faces in and we've had a number of players leaving us as well during the summer," Pearson told Foxes Player.

"The blend will be a bit different this year, but I'm pleased with the business we have done so far and we may add at points throughout the pre-season period. The squad is shaping up nicely.

"It's good to be back; it's going to be a big season for us this year."

The three players acquired to date should give the Blue Army plenty of cause for optimism as they count down to the start of the new campaign, though the differences between them are intriguing.

While De Laet, 23, and James, 20, learned their trade - from childhood in James' case - with Premier League giants Manchester United, the emergence of Vardy is more of an underdog tale.

Released by his beloved Sheffield Wednesday as a teenager, he stepped down into non-league football and climbed his way back up the pyramid, plundering goals at a prolific rate. By the time he led Fleetwood Town to the Conference title with 34 strikes last season, the queue for his signature was halfway to Blackpool Tower.

But whatever road has led them to King Power Stadium, Pearson says all three players share the mutual qualities he has been looking for.

"The strengths that these players have are that they are young, they have the desire and they want to play for us," he said.

"The last one sounds like something you can take for granted, but I think it's really important for us that these players have made that decision to come here and further their careers.

"Ritchie is a player who has decided he needs to progress his career and, when you've been out on loan a number of times, it's difficult to do that in a way you would like. I'm delighted we've secured his signature because he's a versatile player that brings a lot of quality.

0,,10274~11031186,00.jpg

Pearson watches his squad take on pre-season training.

"Matty has less league experience, but he has the drive and desire to be a success. We've signed players that want to do that here and I think that's important for us.

"We've been keeping an eye on Jamie for quite some time now. He started at Stocksbridge, went to Halifax and then Fleetwood so we know all about him.

"It's great to get him because there was quite a bit of competition, but he'll give us an awful lot of energy and hopefully a lot of goals as well."

As was the case last season, City are likely to be installed among the leading contenders for promotion before a ball is kicked.

It was a billing they struggled to live up to last term, but Pearson insists the players need to be the masters of their own destiny.

"We're in a position where we need a good season; we aspire to get promotion this year," he said.

"People have already put lots of added expectation on us from the outside, which is always a compliment, but we need to get out there and produce it for ourselves."

The City squad will head to Austria for a pre-season training camp next week, before returning to begin their friendly schedule, which kicks off at Hinckley United on Tuesday 24 July.

OS

City new boy Matty James admits the first week of pre-season was like the first week at a new school, as he settles into life at King Power Stadium.

Midfielder James was among three new signings that reported for training last week, having completed a move from Manchester United early in the summer.

But he says the welcoming environment generated by Nigel Pearson's squad has helped him, along with fellow new recruits Ritchie De Laet and Jamie Vardy, quickly adjust to life at a new Club ahead of the important weeks building up to the 2012/13 campaign.

"It's like being at a new school - meeting new players, meeting new people and introducing yourself, but it makes you stronger as a person," James told Foxes Player.

"This is my first proper move, so it's a bit different for me, but I'm relishing the challenge.

"There are some new lads, but some of the older lads have been in this position before so they know how to make it easier for you.

"I know a few of the lads as well, which always helps, and it's a great bunch to be part of."

0,,10274~11044723,00.jpg

James and team-mates prepare for pre-season training.

Pearson's squad departed for their training camp in Austria on Sunday after a challenging first week back for the Foxes, who were predictably pushed to the limit after an extended summer break.

But James, 20, said the demands of the opening days helped to quickly strengthen the team spirit in the group.

"It's always hard work, but everyone got the job done and we're all happier when the ball's out," James admitted.

"Different people are good at different things - some people are better at long distance running and some are better at the high-impact stuff - but we're all in it together, pulling each other along.

"I'm sure some of the lads here will have had some horrific pre-seasons, but times have changed a bit.

"I've only had two or three as a pro and you know you're going to have some running to do and some tough sessions, but it's all part and parcel of it.

"The feeling when you finish it is a good one."

Archived