Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MattGamble92

Do you wish the Thais never arrived?

At times do you wish they never purchased us and we got a more modest local owner who just came in without any hassle and supported Nigel where he could?

A year ago, i'd have laughed if it had been suggested. These men were heroes to me. They were investing all this money and signing real quality with a World renowned manager at the helm. Then the results started going sour. And so did the information about what was really going on at the club.

The first time i really started to worry was when the Dispatches Documentary aired on Channel 4. This was the first time that our owners had been mentioned in a negative light and since that moment i have only heard more and more worrying news regarding our Asian friends.The fact they are loaning money to us with an interest rate is very alarming to me. Suddenly these saviours of our club were not saviours. They were not heroes. They were Thai bankers.

Even when i consider it from a purely footballing perspective. Having Pearson, Walsh and Shakespeare having to duck and dive in the loan market and build a squad of hungry, young lads playing for the shirt is much more appealing than the "big" names that turned up last season and delivered so little.

I realise this is easy to say now after 2 years of frustration. But are all the big name signings, the big name manager and huge debt really worth it for a win or bust last season go at the big time? Or would you rather be seeing a side slowly grow under the radar with Nigel and none of the turbulence and fiascos of the last 2 or 3 years?

At this point what exactly have the owners done wrong?

Yes they made a mistake in their dealing with Sven (i wont bother to haggle over whether it was appointing him in the first place or sacking him too quickly) but other than that, they have done us no apparent harm, yes theyve "lent" the club money.. but perhaps have a look at the Glazers to determine if that's a bad ploy?

They have.... supported the manager in buying players... arranged a solid sponsorship of the ground, relayed the pitch, provided some terrific family days and the Real Madrid game etc etc.

I dont see what they have done wrong.

Oh and as for preferring having young lads playing for the shirt, thats all very well and good, but if that is all we have, then you can enjoy watching them playing for the shirt in the 3rd division again. The Championship is a tough quality league and requires quality players...emotion and heart isnt enough.

The Championship is a tough quality league and requires quality players...emotion and heart isnt enough.

I would HATE to see us in the EPL then.

The Thai's are 50/50. They do a lot of good but at the same time a lot of bads.

I don't think the money invested is bad, but more the way we released Pearson and made him walk away. We had a strong squad pushing for promotion (we did reach the play off SF). Sousa came in and everything just went to hell. I love seeing players who play for the shirt. Then again signing players expensive GOOD players is never bad either. Remember Yak? gave us 20% and scored 10 goals in 20games or something. Yes, he never wanted to play for us, but who cares if we win matches because of it?

Overall we're in a lot of debt now due to wages, transfers ETC (all needs to be balanced out). Look to be in this league for another season after this one i'd say, unless EVERYTHING does go beautifully right on the pitch. I hope that we go up this season and will back our team anyway possible, but i am a realistic thinker.

At times do you wish they never purchased us and we got a more modest local owner who just came in without any hassle and supported Nigel where he could?

A year ago, i'd have laughed if it had been suggested. These men were heroes to me. They were investing all this money and signing real quality with a World renowned manager at the helm. Then the results started going sour. And so did the information about what was really going on at the club.

The first time i really started to worry was when the Dispatches Documentary aired on Channel 4. This was the first time that our owners had been mentioned in a negative light and since that moment i have only heard more and more worrying news regarding our Asian friends.The fact they are loaning money to us with an interest rate is very alarming to me. Suddenly these saviours of our club were not saviours. They were not heroes. They were Thai bankers.

Even when i consider it from a purely footballing perspective. Having Pearson, Walsh and Shakespeare having to duck and dive in the loan market and build a squad of hungry, young lads playing for the shirt is much more appealing than the "big" names that turned up last season and delivered so little.

I realise this is easy to say now after 2 years of frustration. But are all the big name signings, the big name manager and huge debt really worth it for a win or bust last season go at the big time? Or would you rather be seeing a side slowly grow under the radar with Nigel and none of the turbulence and fiascos of the last 2 or 3 years?

Good post.

It just shows that being bank rolled isn't the be all and end all. I genuinely believe had the players we had last year been playing together for some other team, they'd have been promoted. Its just not the way Leicester do things. Even when we win a game we tend to do it the hard way, nevermind winning a season. Its good that the fans posting about us winning the league at a stroll last time have had a reality check.

I think most fans would prefer to have a local owner (not just leicester, but every fan of their team.) Just look at two of out rivals. Forest til recentley were owned locally, and putting last seasons disaster aside they were building a decent team who made it to two playoff semis in a row. It was only personality clashes with Davies and the board that started their downfall.

Though I dont know nor care who owns Derby they go about their business quietly, spend half the amount we do yet are on a par with us. Same as Boro and Steve Gibson.

It may have been nice reading about Leicester in every newspaper everyday this time last year, but it didn't do us any good. The fans started to believe there was going to be one winner.

The Thai's haven't done anything too much wrong yet, I just hope they're learning that us buying the league will not happen overnight if at all

I would HATE to see us in the EPL then.

The Thai's are 50/50. They do a lot of good but at the same time a lot of bads.

I don't think the money invested is bad, but more the way we released Pearson and made him walk away. We had a strong squad pushing for promotion (we did reach the play off SF). Sousa came in and everything just went to hell. I love seeing players who play for the shirt. Then again signing players expensive GOOD players is never bad either. Remember Yak? gave us 20% and scored 10 goals in 20games or something. Yes, he never wanted to play for us, but who cares if we win matches because of it?

Overall we're in a lot of debt now due to wages, transfers ETC (all needs to be balanced out). Look to be in this league for another season after this one i'd say, unless EVERYTHING does go beautifully right on the pitch. I hope that we go up this season and will back our team anyway possible, but i am a realistic thinker.

as far as I am aware, and I may be wrong, the Thais weren't in charge when Pearson left?

The owners have come to leicester on a buisness level and fun level. Yes they are using us for their company but I think they do adore football and want some success at Leicester, the only thing they did wrong was sacking Sven which was way too soon and should have been given till at least christmas. Also in going in a backward step appointing Pearson, I think there good guys not like other owners look at the owners at Cardiff that's a typical using the club to show off there business name. These guys are hell of lot better than Mandaric the amount managers he sacked were terrible, I think he relegated 2007-08 not the team. Martin Allen I think would have got us in the premier league if we stuck with him!

In my heart of hearts I have always felt uneasy with the 'sugar daddy' approach to running our (or any other) football club. I always wonder what the motivation is for someone who parachutes in to invest their money. Is it an altruistic desire to make that club as good as it can possibly be, or, more likely, an opportunity to play at football with as little risk to yourself and with the possibility of making big bucks if it goes well. I suspect the second of these scenarios applied (applies) to both Mandaric and now the Thais.

What would have happened post administration without Mandaric and the investments that he made? He certainly got us out of a hole which was of our own making, but I guess it may well have been from the frying pan and into the fire.

Who knows how the next few seasons will pan out, we may be basking in glory in 12 months time, or on the other hand........

I couldn't answer this question without knowing the politics behind Nigel leaving last time around. My ideal scenario would have been having NP as manager for the last two years because I honestly believe we would be inthe Premier League by now. That said if Nigel was going to leave anyway then I'm glad we had the owners coming in, and that they've now seen sense and put him back in charge. The fact that we've got Nigel back with the money and some players who I'm a big fan of that we couldn't possibly have got last time (Kasper, Waggy, Konchesky etc.) makes me think they have overall had a positive effect, and I would hope that the modifications to the stadium, training facilities etc. can only have a positive effect in the long run. But I'd rather we'd have had two years of Nigel Pearson. I guess it'll be easier for me to have an opinion on this one by December.

I don't I feel very grateful to them for the money they are willing to spend on the club they have a good business plan of making us a household name in Thailand giving us a long term income and stability we would of struggled to have found in another investor. Milan came in and spent a lot of money on us at a time we had no future but he could of never increased our fan base in a way the Thais plan to do. These things don't just change overnight I wish some supporters would just support the club instead of expecting instant success

I think a they came in with not a little nievity and were not well advised. They thought that spending on names would be enough. I think the message must have got home now that its how you knit the constituent parts together that brings success. I am not unhappy that they are onboard, just disappointed that we have pissed two seasons down the drain whilst the penny dropped.

As a matter of principle, I am not a big fan of ownership by billionaire oligarks or other cash rich businessmen. Their loyalty may be limited to the return on investment, but until the bubble bursts (and it will) we have to live with it. A more level playing field that see's clubs survive without crippling debt is what we need, but where that comes from I have no idea at the moment.

Short answer, No.

We are in a better position than we were 2 years ago, and there is no point looking back thinking about what could have been, the worst decision was made before they arrived, sacking Nigel and bringing in PS, that is something I wish didn't happen.

I just wish the PL had never arrived at least football resembled a sport then rather than the business it's become.

Do you wish the Thais never arrived? No.

I just wish the PL had never arrived at least football resembled a sport then rather than the business it's become.

This.

It's more about Sky TV though Dave isn't it?

We've always had a 'Premier League' just under a different name. Isn't it Sky that's made it into the business you are referring to?

For me, its always been about the instant success mentality since the Mandaric era. The Thai's have come in with high investment and a high profile manager, changed everything and brought in big names in the playing department. When we finally sit down and look at the teams who have gone up to the Premiership they have had roughly the same squad for 2-3 seasons, gotten to know each other and devised a system that suits their team and have gone forward as a result.

What frustrates me about this club and some fan's is that we are constantly counting the years we've been out of the top flight and as a result we resort to signing 6-9 new players a season instead of buying in quality not quantity and topping up the side sensibly throughout and after the season. We need to keep this group together and allow NP the time to gain the momentum to get us to the promised land, until then the thai's will have to be patient, he's the fans choice and their choice so lets stick by him.

Archived