Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Children's world

A bit of nostalgia for all you 20+ something's and maybe a few older remember taking kids here.

Children's world in belgrave, it had a slide. Was it the only shop with a slide or did all children's worlds have this feature?

And what did this slide haven even sell? I imagined it was like toys r us but I was just a wee nipper I cannot remember what they even sold.

Bit of nostalgia to get us going today

From what I remember it was basically Toys R Us but it had a clothing section, a better videogame section and a slide. I vaguely remember a ball pit at one point, or am I imagining that? I loved it, kind of place you'd pester your parents all week to go to

It was fvcking brilliant! It was like Toys R Us (sold toys and computer games), but it sold kid's clothes as well, and there was a big mezzanine first floor with a lift at the back for baby stuff, iirc. They put in an entrance for kids next to the normal doors that had a slide, a tunnel, (a ball pit?), etc. I think it had a cafe and a hairdressers, as well.

One lad at school thought it was an orphanage!

Okay, one for the even older folks... what was the toy shop opposite the old Cannon/ABC cinema? It was huge and had working Scalextrix and Hornby layouts. Kiddy bliss!

EDIT: was it called Modern Toys or something like that?

Okay, one for the even older folks... what was the toy shop opposite the old Cannon/ABC cinema? It was huge and had working Scalextrix and Hornby layouts. Kiddy bliss!

EDIT: was it called Modern Toys or something like that?

There was a Modern Toys almost opposite the ABC it's a Nepalese restaurant now.

Brantano's had a ball pit as well.

But Children's World was slide mecca. I had my first kiss at Children's World. Never even got her name.

Were you ever an innocent child?! lol

They were owned by boots, 52 shops nationwide and i think the first one to open was on fosse park in 1987!

what year was fosse park built??? i dont remember a childrens world there.

and the childrens at belgrave flyover was there before that. i know as i actually got lost in there once!!!!

and the childrens at belgrave flyover was there before that. i know as i actually got lost in there once!!!!

Fosse Park was built in 1989. I can't remember a Children's World there, either.

It had a lift inside. Rumour has it, some people went in there once under the influence of LSD and after three or four hours were asked to leave having spent way too much time in the lift and being with toys.

I'm sure Fosse Park was built in the seventies

Definitely no Children's World in Fosse park. Original shops (according to my young (then) brain):

Toy 'R' Us

M&S

Olympus Sports

Do I All

Next

Maccy D's

Ooh need help:

For between Toys 'R' Us and Next, and Next and Do It All

Edit: Comet was next to Toys 'R' Us!

This is driving me and the Mrs. mad!

Definitely no Children's World in Fosse park. Original shops (according to my young (then) brain):

Toy 'R' Us

M&S

Olympus Sports

Do I All

Next

Maccy D's

Ooh need help:

For between Toys 'R' Us and Next, and Next and Do It All

Edit: Comet was next to Toys 'R' Us!

This is driving me and the Mrs. mad!

BHS

Archived