Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Children's world

I remember childrens world,took the lad to have his photo took there...Adams in the shires was where we got all his clothes.Modern toys was where the roundabout is on the end of charles st,Zodiac toys was just inside the Haymarket(belgrave gate end)...loads of pocket money toys.There was a sports shop over the road from there think it was jb's or something like that.Got my Patrick rain coat and Nike football trainers from there (early 80's...when Nike wern't a really well known brand for footy stuff!There was a really good computer shop up from the co-op(where the shires is now)Spectrum i think it was called.Got Manic Miner from there on cassete for my c64.....life was much simpler then!

I remember childrens world,took the lad to have his photo took there...Adams in the shires was where we got all his clothes.Modern toys was where the roundabout is on the end of charles st,Zodiac toys was just inside the Haymarket(belgrave gate end)...loads of pocket money toys.There was a sports shop over the road from there think it was jb's or something like that.Got my Patrick rain coat and Nike football trainers from there (early 80's...when Nike wern't a really well known brand for footy stuff!There was a really good computer shop up from the co-op(where the shires is now)Spectrum i think it was called.Got Manic Miner from there on cassete for my c64.....life was much simpler then!

Was the computer shop called Bits and Bytes?? It was only a smallish shop sort of behind The Shires just off Churchgate .Cant remember what the road is called. Il kick myself when i hear it. Anyways my Dad used to take me there for my C64 games. The memories.

Good shout with Adams, but New Look is where Olympus Sports was.

I'm sure there used to be Habitat at Fosse Park but I'm not sure it was there at the beginning. Can't remember where exactly - somewhere in the far corner, near Next? :dunno:

I can only just remember the outside of children's world - nothing about the slide and ball pit etc.

What I do remember though (because I had a birthday party there) was the play area at Asda in Oadby called Dweazels. It was HUGE as easily the best one of those soft play areas I had ever been in! Close behind was discovery zone at Meridian.

Fosse Park was opened in 1989 my granddad sold his farm to the developers! I remember Toys R Us being there and i remember the day we went over and Toys R us had closed down and it said it was being replaced by BHS I was absolutely gutted!! Olympus sport was that in the corner where the food court is?!

• 4 months later...

I remember Children's World! Used to go there fairly often in the 80s and early 90s. I'm pretty sure there was a hairdressers and definitely a Start Rite shoes concession inside there. And yes, the carpet shop next door DID have a ball pit! Children's World basically had a "second" entrance which was accessed via the slide. All very 80s I remember.

What is it now? It looks like a Sainsbury's from Google Street View... surely not?!

Fosse Park definitely went up in 1989. Habitat gave way to Mothercare sometime in the mid-90s, which in turn was demolished for the Food Court which I think went up around 1999/2000.

From what I remember it was basically Toys R Us but it had a clothing section, a better videogame section and a slide. I vaguely remember a ball pit at one point, or am I imagining that? I loved it, kind of place you'd pester your parents all week to go to

Definitely a ball pit.

I remember Children's World well, but where in Leicester was it exactly?

Belgrave flyover stu

Is that different to Burley's flyover?

Can't remember the actual location though remember the big car park, the logo of childrens world, and that on walking in to the shop the play area waa on the right.

i wouldn't be at all suprised if my parents have photos of us off that play area. They're moving house soon so will ask them to look.

Haha yes! I didn't even grow up in Leicester but every time we drove to my grandparents I shat my pants in excitement going over the flyover. My parents used to bribe me with visits to Children's World to made sure I behaved with Geoff and Doris. What a place.

Brantano's had a ball pit as well.

But Children's World was slide mecca. I had my first kiss at Children's World. Never even got her name.

My first kiss is now a massively butch lesbian. Make of that what you will.

Always preferred Toys R Us to be honest.

That's because you're a dick.

I remember Children's World! Used to go there fairly often in the 80s and early 90s. I'm pretty sure there was a hairdressers and definitely a Start Rite shoes concession inside there. And yes, the carpet shop next door DID have a ball pit! Children's World basically had a "second" entrance which was accessed via the slide. All very 80s I remember.

What is it now? It looks like a Sainsbury's from Google Street View... surely not?!

Fosse Park definitely went up in 1989. Habitat gave way to Mothercare sometime in the mid-90s, which in turn was demolished for the Food Court which I think went up around 1999/2000.

Sainsbury's was always there. Children's Worls was the shop to the right of Ssinsbury's.

So what IS on the site of Children's World? It was a massive unit, there's no way it can be vacant surely?

I remember that mezzanine area and the lift in the middle well. The last time I remember going there must be 1996/1997. I'd certainly outgrown the slide before it shut. When did it close?

Archived