Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Blackburn Pre-Match

It does amuse me when people moan about Pearson playing 4-4-2 before suggesting 4-2-3-1 as the alternative. The latter may be the 'fashionable' formation for the times but a well executed 4-4-2 becomes a 4-2-3-1 anyway. The wingers go advanced, a forward drops back, and there you have it.

There is a lot of talk about formations and most of it is rubbish. It doesn't matter a whole lot where players start on the pitch. A good set up won't be too rigid anyway; there should be a certain amount of freedom afforded to players, allowing them to take up a position relative to what's actually happening on the pitch.

If you put your best players where they're best equipped to play, you won't go far wrong.

It does amuse me when people moan about Pearson playing 4-4-2 before suggesting 4-2-3-1 as the alternative. The latter may be the 'fashionable' formation for the times but a well executed 4-4-2 becomes a 4-2-3-1 anyway. The wingers go advanced, a forward drops back, and there you have it.

There is a lot of talk about formations and most of it is rubbish. It doesn't matter a whole lot where players start on the pitch. A good set up won't be too rigid anyway; there should be a certain amount of freedom afforded to players, allowing them to take up a position relative to what's actually happening on the pitch.

If you put your best players where they're best equipped to play, you won't go far wrong.

Try telling that to Jose Mourinho... One of the best tactical managers I've ever seen..

:thumbup:

You are basically implying that tactical formations are not neccessary and that the standard of the players is totally key?

This is so far wrong I can't even begin to start...

Shoot me down, shout at me, do whatever you want, but hear me out. I think if we can keep a clean sheet and nick a goal we'll win it and I honestly believe that

Well yeah...score a goal and keep a clean sheet and you do tend to win.

In my experience anyway.

Shoot me down, shout at me, do whatever you want, but hear me out. I think if we can keep a clean sheet and nick a goal we'll win it and I honestly believe that

Crikey.. A post of yours with no sexual innuendo?

Youll not be in the book of FT characters if you keep on like this!

lol

Try telling that to Jose Mourinho... One of the best tactical managers I've ever seen..

You are basically implying that tactical formations are not neccessary and that the standard of the players is totally key?

No, I'm saying that far too much emphasis is placed on starting positions. People confuse formations with tactics and it's incorrect to do so. Formation is only a small part of it.

No, I'm saying that far too much emphasis is placed on starting positions. People confuse formations with tactics and it's incorrect to do so. Formation is only a small part of it.

What are 'tactical formations' then, if not a starting set up, equipped to maximise the tactics you wish to use?

You've lost me..

Of course, formations and tactics can change throughout a game. But using them well, and making sure the players know what they are doing is important to any success?

Perhaps. But I think the standard of player in your side does affect the extent to which intricate, non-standard formations actually make a difference.

We mucked about with the formation quite a bit last season and I don't think we looked any better when we weren't playing a standard 4-4-2. All too often it was clear that the players we had/have lack the skill and discipline to sustain a complicated role for the whole game anyway.

Sven's use of 'wing-backs' is a case in point. Great going forward, but our defence was dreadful because they couldn't defend at the same time.

Perhaps. But I think the standard of player in your side does affect the extent to which intricate, non-standard formations actually make a difference.

We mucked about with the formation quite a bit last season and I don't think we looked any better when we weren't playing a standard 4-4-2. All too often it was clear that the players we had/have lack the skill and discipline to sustain a complicated role for the whole game anyway.

Sven's use of 'wing-backs' is a case in point. Great going forward, but our defence was dreadful because they couldn't defend at the same time.

I completely agree. But that doesn't imply that the formation used isnt important. If anything it's more important because the manager needs to tailor his formation and the tactics used in a game to best fit the players he has at his disposal. As you rightly said, if you play the wrong formation with the wrong players you'll get your fingers burnt. As both Sousa and Sven found to their cost.

What are 'tactical formations' then, if not a starting set up, equipped to maximise the tactics you wish to use?

You've lost me..

Of course, formations and tactics can change throughout a game. But using them well, and making sure the players know what they are doing is important to any success?

Every formation is 'tactical' to an extent. It just isn't the be all and end all of a tactical approach, or even the main part of it. I was mocking the reaction of people who moan that we play 4-4-2 and suggest a new formation as though it will be some panacea for all our woes. The game is more subtle than that. You can have two sides playing the same formation but looking like completely different teams.

Regardless of formation a team can play at a particular pace, with different degrees of width, utilise a patient build up approach, or simply hoof it down the flanks. Clearly, particular formations make it easier to do some of things well, but a formation does not win a game on its own. No team ever wins a football match simply because its players kick off in a particular position.

The problem with Sven's misuse of wing backs is that he used them in a 4-4-2 diamond midfield to try and give us width. The result was full backs out of position and only 2 central defenders to cover. The proper use of wing backs is in a 5-3-2 like Little or a 3-5-2 like O'Neill. 3 central defenders and 3 central midfielders

Every formation is 'tactical' to an extent. It just isn't the be all and end all of a tactical approach, or even the main part of it. I was mocking the reaction of people who moan that we play 4-4-2 and suggest a new formation as though it will be some panacea for all our woes. The game is more subtle than that. You can have two sides playing the same formation but looking like completely different teams.

Regardless of formation a team can play at a particular pace, with different degrees of width, utilise a patient build up approach, or simply hoof it down the flanks. Clearly, particular formations make it easier to do some of things well, but a formation does not win a game on its own. No team ever wins a football match simply because its players kick off in a particular position.

Of course you can have two teams playing the same formation and looking like two different teams. They are different teams and one set of players will be better geared up to playing in a certain way than the others. Some players will just play well on the day.

But there's so many examples of teams who have beaten other teams comprising 'better players' because they have got their tactics and formation spot on for that particular match.

This is true to a cetain extent, and 4-2-3-1s when played defensively effectively become two banks of four and two forwards ahead of them but there should really be a difference. In a good team with intelligent players, say MUFC playing a 4-4-2 Rooney would drop deep between the lines and play like a no 10 in a 4-2-3-1, and the wide midfielders will be more attacking and play like wingers. The problem is with not so good teams, i.e most of the league, when Leicester play 4-4-2 neither striker drops between the lines, and frankly if they did they wouldn't be good enough to do much with the ball, hence setting out the formation to your players as a 4-2-3-1 emphasises to the no 10 (at the centre of the 3) that he should be deeper than the lone stiker as a default position (and why people want Marshal there i.e a player more likely to play smart passes). Its a subtle difference for a fluid 4-4-2 with intelligent players, in the championship these don't exist so there is a pretty massive difference between teams playing the formations.

Of course you can have two teams playing the same formation and looking like two different teams. They are different teams and one set of players will be better geared up to playing in a certain way than the others. Some players will just play well on the day.

But there's so many examples of teams who have beaten other teams comprising 'better players' because they have got their tactics and formation spot on for that particular match.

Absolutely. The argument I'm making is not that tactics aren't important. I'm just making the point that 'tactics' and 'formation' aren't interchangeable as concepts. A formation is only a small part of a more detailed 'tactic' or style of play. At no point have I suggested that if we put out better players than the opposition we are guaranteed a victory. Only that to argue that formation alone is enough to guarantee a result is too simplistic.

Absolutely. The argument I'm making is not that tactics aren't important. I'm just making the point that 'tactics' and 'formation' aren't interchangeable as concepts. A formation is only a small part of a mor detailed 'tactic' or style of play. At no point have I suggested that if we put out better players than the opposition we are guaranteed a victory. Only that to argue that formation alone is enough to guarantee a result is too simplistic.

I getcha..

Ian Stringerâ€@StringerSport

Schmeichel,de laet,morgan,moore,konchesky,marshall,drinkwater,king,dyer,nugent,vardy #lcfc

Ian Stringer â€@StringerSport

Schmeichel,de laet,morgan,moore,konchesky,marshall,drinkwater,king,dyer,nugent,vardy #lcfc

I didn't know whether to press post, because I thought someone would have beaten me to it and someone has.

Nice one lol

Archived