Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Wellens back by Oct? Whitbread ready for Wolves?

Merc

Richie Wellens took a big step towards a first-team return when he made his first appearance since April in the Leicester City under-21 development squad's victory against Crewe on Monday night.

Wellens, who damaged knee ligaments in the home defeat to West Ham at the end of last season and had to undergo surgery, managed to get 30 minutes of pitch-time.

The 32-year-old midfielder has spent the summer in rehabilitation but could be back in the first team by the end of the month.

American central defender Zak Whitbread played a full 90 minutes as he continues to catch up for missing most of pre-season, and he could be in contention for City's trip to Wolves on September 16.

The 4-0 victory against Crewe came courtesy of an own-goal and strikes from Paul Gallagher, Matty James and Jacob Blyth.

Development squad manager Steve Beaglehole said: "It is great for Richie to get 30 minutes.

"It is a nice progression for him. Instead of being thrown straight into a Championship game, he went on in the latter stages of the game and that allowed him to get some pitch-time under his belt. It will be good to get him back.

"The fact you can play three over-age players (under league rules) is great for the boss (Nigel Pearson), because he might have players like Richie who need games, and this is a big part of his comeback.

"For the younger players, you can't buy that experience of playing with the senior players.

"Zak Whitbread was outstanding and his reading of the game at times was a big part of us keeping a clean sheet.

"Cian Bolger and Tom Parkes had a great partnership in the youth team but they have never played alongside a recognised senior centre-back.

"I thought Whitbread could give the players around him more than any coach can in one training session."

Good stuff. Could have done with Wellens ability to slot balls down the channels through to the frontmen in the final third to mix up our wing play. Although with him struggling for pace in the defensive side to his game it's going to be tough for him.

Would like to see Whitbread at full strength but it's imperative he's not even slightly rushed.

Richie Wellens was never as bad as people made out and, for me, still has a role to play. He lost form yes but so did Andy King and a few others. The guy is a talented player so he deserves a chance, his experience will be key also

It's not about whether he's good or bad it's whether he can compliment and fit into a fast moving game. If we want to get the ball from the back to the forwards via the midfield quickly, without hoofing it then Wellens isn't the player to do it, he simply takes far too long most of the time to decide what to do with the ball, we need quick thinkers and fast movers of the ball. I guess if we're winning by a couple of goals he'd be ok to bring on to slow the game down.

The only reason Welles had to put his foot on the ball and slow things down was because we just stood like statues last season, I've noticed we have started to use our wingers more effectively lately, that suits Welles down to a Tee, in fact he has obviously been giving Andy king tips, usually the first thing kingy does when he receives the ball is look for a pass out wide, which is what Welles does.

The only reason Welles had to put his foot on the ball and slow things down was because we just stood like statues last season, I've noticed we have started to use our wingers more effectively lately, that suits Welles down to a Tee, in fact he has obviously been giving Andy king tips, usually the first thing kingy does when he receives the ball is look for a pass out wide, which is what Welles does.

No the first thing Wellens does is put his foot on the ball and stops the game dead giving the opposition time to cover all the forward runs by our players.

Obviously good news.

Wellens isn't as bad as what some people make out. His legs are going now, yes, but his ability to hold the ball is second to none; he has been the best at that since signing. He's had one poor/inconsistent season (along with the rest of the squad), but other than that, he has been a good signing.

A lot of misconceptions about how Wellens plays when he plays well which is generally in the opposition half and even more so in the final third itself.

Whereas King & Drinkwater are playing well, they're totally relying on Marshall & Dyer to get the ball forward, neither of them played a single through ball practically all season. Nugent only scores when he's given the ball and runs at a defender more often than not using him to curl a ball around the keeper. This crossing game is wasted on Nugent.

What Wellens offers that's different is the ability to put a foot on the ball, switch wings or play it through.

Of course Wellens at his worst is a nightmare, slow in possession in the defensive third, getting caught & having to resort to Hollywood balls to get rid which invariably means another wave of opposition attacks.

Am I a Wellens fan? No more than anyone else in the team. Do I think he should play? No, not at the moment, certainly. Will he have a part to play? Yes, definitely. Just like last season when finally found a slither of form the midfield duo of Wellens & Danns briefly looked excellent before Danns stupidity in the red card.

A lot of misconceptions about how Wellens plays when he plays well which is generally in the opposition half and even more so in the final third itself.

Whereas King & Drinkwater are playing well, they're totally relying on Marshall & Dyer to get the ball forward, neither of them played a single through ball practically all season. Nugent only scores when he's given the ball and runs at a defender more often than not using him to curl a ball around the keeper. This crossing game is wasted on Nugent.

What Wellens offers that's different is the ability to put a foot on the ball, switch wings or play it through.

Of course Wellens at his worst is a nightmare, slow in possession in the defensive third, getting caught & having to resort to Hollywood balls to get rid which invariably means another wave of opposition attacks.

Am I a Wellens fan? No more than anyone else in the team. Do I think he should play? No, not at the moment, certainly. Will he have a part to play? Yes, definitely. Just like last season when finally found a slither of form the midfield duo of Wellens & Danns briefly looked excellent before Danns stupidity in the red card.

Nice post, agreed

:yesyes:

You probably know my views on Wellens so I am not going to repeat them here...... ;)

Your comments on our attacking style is right on the money, just one of the (several) reasons why our attacking play is so blunt and predictable.

Improving our attacking options requires a substantial change to our set up and formation but while NFP continues to see 'promise' in our new attacking style, nothing will change.

You probably know my views on Wellens so I am not going to repeat them here...... ;)

Your comments on our attacking style is right on the money, just one of the (several) reasons why our attacking play is so blunt and predictable.

Improving our attacking options requires a substantial change to our set up and formation but while NFP continues to see 'promise' in our new attacking style, nothing will change.

If you take a peek at the table of 'assists' so far for this season Dave (yes its only four games in..) it kinda makes your point for you:

http://www.football-...4~20127,00.html

Last season was no better with Nuge and Drinkwater (some of which were for Barnsley) being the only real source of goals:

http://www.football-...4~20117,00.html

This does suggest that getting the ball out wide and delivering the crosses from the flanks has not yet proven fruitful.

And if people feel that Wellens is the answer to 'unlocking defences' (though I personally think he's a decent player), again last years stats don't back this up.

A strike force which is working very well at present, in terms of the strikers setting each other up to score goals, is at Leeds, with McCormack and Becchio.

Archived