Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scow

Style of Play

One thing that has surprised me this season is the more attacking and fluid style of play adopted by Pearson. In previous seasons, with both Hull and us, he’s favoured a more rigid, defensive and direct approach. The reason for this change is not clear, but he’s either altered his footballing philosophy and/or had the resources to mould the team to his own liking.

Pearson is no fool and knows there is pressure on him to mount a strong challenge this season. Maybe he feels that a more attacking approach is likely to accumulate more points than simply being hard to beat and reactive to the opposition? However, this approach worked well in the play-off season with arguably a weaker squad of players, perhaps dictated by financial constraints.

Nevertheless, the new style has been effective so far with five wins out of eight. It probably also explains why limited players like Danns (erratic distribution) and Beckford (appalling first touch) have been left out by Pearson. I’m sure both players can be very effective in the right team, but they simply don’t have the ability for a team that now places emphasis on keeping the ball.

Thoughts?

he was probably told by the owners that they wanted a certain style, which is their right, the Swansea board have this right, hire a manager that suits the style of players you have & style of football you want so you don't have to gut the squad every time as well

I think he was always harshly given that tag. With us, when Howard didnt play we often played some good stuff and I remember Hull fans sayin on their phone in at the start of last season that they were playing good football. I never expected rigid hoofball and our play at the moment is pretty good

I think he was always harshly given that tag. With us, when Howard didnt play we often played some good stuff and I remember Hull fans sayin on their phone in at the start of last season that they were playing good football. I never expected rigid hoofball and our play at the moment is pretty good

I'm not suggesting he was those things - I was describing his approach relative to our current style of play.

I think it was dictated by finances. Mandaric didn't want to spend money so Pearson did the best he could with what he had. Not being able to get the players he thought we needed was the cause of their eventual falling out. His remit at Hull was to massively cut the wage bill but try and build a competitive squad which he did to great effect. But again the style was limited to the players he was able to get in. Here again, it's slightly different, although the finances are limited by FFP, he had his style in mind, a good nucleus of players and he's bought players to fit into his style. We're now seeing what we can actually expect from a proper Pearson team although I think he'd have better players in certain positions if he could. It'll have to be a gradual process though

I think it was dictated by finances. Mandaric didn't want to spend money so Pearson did the best he could with what he had. Not being able to get the players he thought we needed was the cause of their eventual falling out. His remit at Hull was to massively cut the wage bill but try and build a competitive squad which he did to great effect. But again the style was limited to the players he was able to get in. Here again, it's slightly different, although the finances are limited by FFP, he had his style in mind, a good nucleus of players and he's bought players to fit into his style. We're now seeing what we can actually expect from a proper Pearson team although I think he'd have better players in certain positions if he could. It'll have to be a gradual process though

Exactly!! So glad someone else can see this point.

Yes, we have started the season very well, but we have to be realistic. In our division we probably have one of the strongest and hard working first 11, however we only really have a mid-table squad.

When you look at the likes of wolves and Forest, it is clear they have a much larger squad with more quality.

The gradual process you describe is the best way to put it. NP is slowly putting together a small, young and tight knit squad, and then during the transfer windows if he spots a player he wants to add to the squad, who will buy into the hard working ethic of the team, he will sign him.

All football fans want immediate success, but we need to be realistic and patient. We probably have the best young talent in our division (moore, drinky, james, king, marshall to name a few), so lets watch them progress and add to it when we need to.

Everyone is looking forward to the game tomorrow, with many predictions of 'easy/comfortable wins', lets not get ahead of ourselves. The main objective this season for fans like myself is not promotion, but progress.

We are no longer a side full of 30 year old premier league rejects who are only here for one last pay cheque, instead a group of young players wanting to make a name for themselves. The likes of James, Drinkwater and De Laet could have sat in the United reserves for their entire careers and earned the same amount they are now, so to leave and buy into what we are trying to achieve shows we must be doing the right thing.

With regards to the style of play, NP has always had the same style. That is to play to your strengths. Take recently for example, NP has realised that Knocky is probably our most creative player, and as a result he has put him in a position which allows him to get more involved in the game. He has also realised that Nugent alongside vardy results in each other getting in the others way, and has moved vardy out wider.

NP is no mug. He got rid of beckford and mills because they didnt want to be here.

His football was never nearly as bad as people made it out to be. There were shit games and it was often quite defence focused but to be fair we were hardly a complete bore.

We had the strongest squad in League One - did we hoof it? No, we made the most and ripped teams to shreds.

When I saw the kind of signings he'd been making I sort of guessed he'd be changing his style. James is a passer, Whitbread's a passer, Knockaert's perfect for a tea that plays this style and De Laet's far more of an attacking full-back than the type he'd have gone for previously.

Hull fans fvcking rile me when it comes to Pearson. I simply cannot get my head round how people label us the arrogant ones, their fans are a fvcking joke.

I agree the football wasn't that bad before but I also think the current style is more pleasing on the eye and has put some of the 'fun' in functionality. Long may it continue and I'm pleased that Pearson hasn't been fazed by a couple of disappointing defeats on the road and given up on the new philosophy and retreated to a more defensive, scared of losing, type of football.

Still a work in progress of course but encouraging, very encouraging.

Oh aye it's definitely an improvement but I really don't think it was as bad as people made out it was in the first place.

I used to be quite on the side of winning at all costs but the more I think about it the more I think the genuinely successful clubs who do it long-term always have a plan and stick to it. If we stick to playing attractive football we will reap the rewards anyway - the wins will look after themselves.

Look at how authentic Swansea City are, they're an absolute example to follow and I'm glad we're (very slightly) heading in that kind of direction.

When you look at the likes of wolves and Forest, it is clear they have a much larger squad with more quality.

Whilst you made a very good post, I disagree with this massively.

Take Cox and Sharp out of Forest, there's very little there that I'd be licking my lips at should we get them in.

They have a decent side but I honestly think ours is better. They don't have a player fit to clean Knockaert's boots and I swear if anyone says McGugan I will shoot my laptop.

Take Cox and Sharp out of Forest, there's very little there that I'd be licking my lips at should we get them in.

They have a decent side but I honestly think ours is better. They don't have a player fit to clean Knockaert's boots and I swear if anyone says McGugan I will shoot my laptop.

I've always thought Andy Reid was a cracking little player he just needs to stop eating all the pies

Unquestionably an improvement on the previous spell and full credit to NP. He has a side capable of playing football properly and he is clearly encouraging it. Our away results have deserved better and if we continue with the game plan we have, i expect we will see some great results.

I just hope that NP and the club/owners/fans are able to stand by the style even when we have some flat patches that are sure to come.

Quite a few people mention Cox as 'one that got away' but his goalscoring record is not as good as some other strikers we were linked with in the summer that we're tagged with 'no better than what we have' or similar. The temptation with Forests signings are to throw your hands in the air and say, '****s sake. He's qualiteh. Why didnt we sign him?' When the truth of it is, people like Cox, Lansbury, Halford etc are no better signings than when we signed Nugent, Danns and Peltier.

Forest will finish mid table as they just aren't that good. Our squad is small but rest assured, when its needed, a loan player you've never heard of will come in and be a success.

I think Pearson was hamstrung by finances before - if you look at some of the attacking players he's brought in, he always tried to get quality attacking footballers (Cleverley, Davies) but we had to get them on loan because we couldn't afford them permanently. Apparently we could have had both of those permanently if we could have found the cash. Imagine them in this team...

Completely agree with this! Every club would like to play football like Barca an Swansea etc but without that type of personnel you have to adapt a new system. Pearson has bought players to specifically play fluid, attacking and ball retaining football. Maybe now though he's looking to get a bit of the grittiness into the away games.

Tough game tonight but if we turn up with the right game plan it's very winnable

I think Pearson's philosophy might be changing too. He had a lot of success with us and his reputation grew. Him leaving us was a surprise but he tried to replicate what he did with us at Hull and it had mixed success. Since coming back to us, you can tell he's going for a slightly different approach and up until recently it was hard to have confidence in it because we were still so inconsistent. His methods in the transfer market have always impressed me, I cannot fault him there. I am enjoying a lot of our play this season, but I still have one gripe with Pearson's teams and that's that they aren't 90 minute teams. The level of performance from one half to the next can be off the scale and this has happened so, so often. I know teams can't compete at the same intensity and level of quality for 90 minutes every match, but successful teams can and do do this on a regular basis. I hope this will develop and happen with us, because if we only play for 45-60 minutes a match then we could easily see these 2-1 wins turn in to 2-1 defeats again like earlier in the season. It's a fine line.

What I do like, despite the results not being great, is that he's not resorting to lumping it forward to the big man up front when we are behind, we are still trying to carve out chances playing the way we had done in the game before.

We weren't dreadfully dull before, at times it was agricultural but we had players like Davies and Cleverley who were very influential, would they have been that way if the ball was constantly going over their heads?

I think we mixed it up a fair bit, away from home it wasn't pretty, whereas this season we've been accused of being too open. Pearson just needs to find the balance between being attacking and not reckless.

What I do like, despite the results not being great, is that he's not resorting to lumping it forward to the big man up front when we are behind, we are still trying to carve out chances playing the way we had done in the game before.

We weren't dreadfully dull before, at times it was agricultural but we had players like Davies and Cleverley who were very influential, would they have been that way if the ball was constantly going over their heads?

I think we mixed it up a fair bit, away from home it wasn't pretty, whereas this season we've been accused of being too open. Pearson just needs to find the balance between being attacking and not reckless.

I believe NP is finding this balance with the 4-2-3-1.

Whether it be drinky, james or king sitting as the 2, they offer great protection to the back four and also allow the front 4 to push further forward. No longer will the likes of marshall (who does need a rest or a spark) be required to do as much defending as required in a 4-4-2, especially when at home.

The space which Knocky will have is the main single reason when going into any game we all have confidence we can get something out of it. If a team puts a man on him for 90 minutes, the space for the others to exploit would be a bonus.

All these positives, without mentioning the progress of our youngsters such as Moore, and forgetting about players yet to play such as Futacs, who I am sure will play his part this season.

I am intrigued to see how we will operate in January, as lets fact it, if we are still in a similar position then the season would begin to look extremely successful, and we would need to increase our squad size.

I think NP has always wanted to play this style of football - I felt we did it in League 1 as we had the personnel to do it and keep and move the ball.

Quite simply under NP in the championship we were not a strong enough squad so played a team to their strength and ability - now we have more ability and some of his own younger, faster and more skilful signings we can try to play like this in the Championship.

I believe NP is finding this balance with the 4-2-3-1.

Whether it be drinky, james or king sitting as the 2, they offer great protection to the back four and also allow the front 4 to push further forward. No longer will the likes of marshall (who does need a rest or a spark) be required to do as much defending as required in a 4-4-2, especially when at home.

The space which Knocky will have is the main single reason when going into any game we all have confidence we can get something out of it. If a team puts a man on him for 90 minutes, the space for the others to exploit would be a bonus.

All these positives, without mentioning the progress of our youngsters such as Moore, and forgetting about players yet to play such as Futacs, who I am sure will play his part this season.

I am intrigued to see how we will operate in January, as lets fact it, if we are still in a similar position then the season would begin to look extremely successful, and we would need to increase our squad size.

We are still some way from playing 4-2-3-1 effectively and consistently, often we end up playing a somewhat lopsided 4-4-2 with no one really on the right.

Knockeart is playing inside, operating in the space between our holding players and our strikers, space largely unoccupied in our early games and this has made all the difference.

With the central positions more or less sorted it is the wide and forward players that need work, Marshall is staying far too wide, he needs to operate more like a striker, one that attacks from wide positions. He looks less comfortable on the left too, I thought Vardy could play on the left, maybe this would be a better option with Marshall back on the right...... :dunno:

(Cleverley, Davies) but we had to get them on loan because we couldn't afford them permanently. Apparently we could have had both of those permanently if we could have found the cash. Imagine them in this team...

Davies was clearly available as he moved just after his loan with us, as for Cleverley I thought SAF always had him marked down as a future Man U player, sure you don't mean Spearing?

• 5 months later...

One thing that has surprised me this season is the more attacking and fluid style of play adopted by Pearson. In previous seasons, with both Hull and us, he’s favoured a more rigid, defensive and direct approach. The reason for this change is not clear, but he’s either altered his footballing philosophy and/or had the resources to mould the team to his own liking.

Pearson is no fool and knows there is pressure on him to mount a strong challenge this season. Maybe he feels that a more attacking approach is likely to accumulate more points than simply being hard to beat and reactive to the opposition? However, this approach worked well in the play-off season with arguably a weaker squad of players, perhaps dictated by financial constraints.

Nevertheless, the new style has been effective so far with five wins out of eight. It probably also explains why limited players like Danns (erratic distribution) and Beckford (appalling first touch) have been left out by Pearson. I’m sure both players can be very effective in the right team, but they simply don’t have the ability for a team that now places emphasis on keeping the ball.

Thoughts?

This seems like a million miles away. With the exception of Derby (4-1) and Huddersfield (6-1), we've played with little conviction since December - even during the second five game winning run.

Archived