Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ilkeston_Fox

Bolton Post Match

I've woken up this morning wondering if we actually practice corners in training???

we had 16 last night (unbelievable) and never looked like getting on the end of one of them did we! we've also had the most corners in the league and only scored from one! Watching Big Wes in the middle last night before a corner is taken, theres no movement or arm gestures or tactical finger pointing to suggest that we have an array of deliveries in our locker. In fact he looks more concerned as to whether or not Tony Knockers will get it past the 18 yard line.

i dont know what it is but i just dont get the same excitement when we get a corner now as i did in the 90's/2000's when we had Walsh, Tags, Elliott, Roberts etc etc. when you really got the feeling that we would always get a bonce in a blue shirt on the end of a set piece and 90% of the time if we did it would end up in the back of the net!

another quick one! just thought Nugent looked absolutley knackered last night. He needs some help! BIG TIME

I've woken up this morning wondering if we actually practice corners in training???

we had 16 last night (unbelievable) and never looked like getting on the end of one of them did we! we've also had the most corners in the league and only scored from one! Watching Big Wes in the middle last night before a corner is taken, theres no movement or arm gestures or tactical finger pointing to suggest that we have an array of deliveries in our locker. In fact he looks more concerned as to whether or not Tony Knockers will get it past the 18 yard line.

i dont know what it is but i just dont get the same excitement when we get a corner now as i did in the 90's/2000's when we had Walsh, Tags, Elliott, Roberts etc etc. when you really got the feeling that we would always get a bonce in a blue shirt on the end of a set piece and 90% of the time if we did it would end up in the back of the net!

another quick one! just thought Nugent looked absolutley knackered last night. He needs some help! BIG TIME

Spot on about Nugent and I actually thought there were acouple of occasions when the defender looked as if they deliberately put the ball out for a corner rather than a throw in due to our clear failre rate on corner kicks.

What did he say? Or should I say, what was the question?

Stringer made a comment along the lines of 'there were a few hard challenges going in on Matt Mills from some of the Leicester players...' - Waggy was a bit reluctant to respond, just gave a kind of non-committal 'mmmmm' and Stringer moved swiftly on - you got the impression that a few Leicester players were after a piece of Mills for whatever reason - must not have been popular with the players either!

I concur

I just don't buy this thin squad argument (Kennedy's departure aside), the competitive squad with no one moaning on the sidelines is a reason for an upturn in performance, the competitiveness is showing on the pitch.

The squad isn't particularly thin, perhaps one defender light, we just have quite a few players Pearson has not much faith in at the moment. Beckford, Danns, Gally and maybe even Wellens when fit might be nowhere near our team. That's a big drain on our resources if they aren't going to play for us. So If we can manage to get rid permanently of some of those players come the Jan window then it might open up the opportunity of getting in players he does have faith in and can utilise.

The squad isn't particularly thin, perhaps one defender light, we just have quite a few players Pearson has not much faith in at the moment. Beckford, Danns, Gally and maybe even Wellens when fit might be nowhere near our team. That's a big drain on our resources if they aren't going to play for us. So If we can manage to get rid permanently of some of those players come the Jan window then it might open up the opportunity of getting in players he does have faith in and can utilise.

There's also a lot to be said for doing these things gradually, rather than going bull at a gate and signing about 15 new players - see Allen and Sven. It's never ended well. Hopefully we'll move a couple of players on in January and add a couple of players who'll actually enhance the squad.

On paper a tough game.With their squad Bolton should be doing better.

We should be satisfied with a point from such games,it sounds like two points dropped and denied by Bogdan's blinder.

What is important is we put in a good display by all accounts.

We stopped the rot.

After witnessing the performance at Watford I was not optimistic.

Our next few fixtures look winnable.Onward and upward!

There's also a lot to be said for doing these things gradually, rather than going bull at a gate and signing about 15 new players - see Allen and Sven. It's never ended well. Hopefully we'll move a couple of players on in January and add a couple of players who'll actually enhance the squad.

Mickey Adams signed players en masse the last time we got promoted. 'Settling in' is overrated.

Good point. The squad is about the right size, but there are still a few players that need replacing. Hopefully, with a few tweaks in January, the squad will be about as good as the rational fans among us can hope for.

Wellens isn't finished yet! He has played well for Ipswich.

Wellens isn't finished yet! He has played well for Ipswich.

He won't get a chance here unless we have a central midfield crises, which is unlikely better off at Ipswich imo hopefully they will make it a permanent deal come January.

Good point and good to hear that Waggy is back. Could be an important player for us if on form.

Anyone know if Kevin Phillips is injured at Blackpool btw? I know he's not playing and he seems like the kind of type we could use. I imagine if he were fit that he'd be in the starting XI though.

Hopefully we have a squad of players up for the battle against Forest. Commitment rather than quality may be the difference on Saturday.

Mickey Adams signed players en masse the last time we got promoted. 'Settling in' is overrated.

I think you are getting confused with other seasons fella. We were under a transfer embargo for much of that season and signed only a couple of players.

There's also a lot to be said for doing these things gradually, rather than going bull at a gate and signing about 15 new players

Indeed. There is very much a sense of get success and get success now from a lot of people. Yes, ideally that's what we all want. But sometimes for instance you might not be able to get the natural finisher we need right away, whether it be down to someone not being available, or because the money isn't there at the moment, or because we need to move on a few before we can.

All I ask is we make forward steps, unfortunately for Pearson we took backwards steps after he went and he's picking up the pieces.

In a nutshell, it was a good point although yes, it was also frustrating that once again, we didn't secure all three.

We MUST endeavour to convert pressure into goals. This could have been yet another game where we went in at half-time with a deserved lead but it wasn't!

Although for me and the many other Foxes fans who dwell in the North West, it was a 'home' game for us, all credit is due to those fans who came up to Bolton on a wet, bitterly cold night and made their presence known at Manchester Piccadilly, on the train to Horwich and then most importantly, during the game.

Having watched Bolton v Cardiff on the TV last Saturday, I didn't really rate Bolton although I was quite releived when Ngog was shown red. In that match, their keeper seemed nervous and at times uncertain. Last night, he was superb.

Don't knock Keane. He is rated by United fans and was voted their Reserve player of the year last year. He was on the verge of featuring in United's first team.

And Lingard? Mark my words, you will like Lingard. He is fast, direct and tends to put the ball in the net rather than over the top or wide. He has already featured in United's first team in both Premier League and Champions League fixtures.

Last night's overall team performance was more in keeping with that I witnessed at Blackburn (I still don't know how we lost that match) and Huddersfield and it was a vast improvement on the way we played against Palace - but we could have drawn that in added time.!

If we could just get that ruthlessness in front of goal winning the league wouldn't be a hard proposition I certainly feel we have the quality to finish 2nd in the league playoffs are too risky for me. Going up automatically has to happen by no means it will be easy but that is the challenge and hopefully we can deliver a 1/3 of the season gone now and we within touching distance lets hope we maintain this form and even better.

I think you are getting confused with other seasons fella. We were under a transfer embargo for much of that season and signed only a couple of players.

My memory must be failing. I was sure he raided the retirement home and came out with at least seven or eight old boys who went on to scramble their way into 2nd.

My memory must be failing. I was sure he raided the retirement home and came out with at least seven or eight old boys who went on to scramble their way into 2nd.

Summerbee and Billy Mac were getting on a bit, but considering they played for free for a while as free agents they get a gold star. I don't think we signed anyone else at all, most were in the squad when we came down under him and Bassett (Deane, Dickov etc).

Didn't Adams go for the old men when we went up cuz money was still tight, We had Sir Les, was keown part of that season as well, but the runners up, promotion season, was based around muzzy staying after piper had to leave, Deane and Dickov wasn't it. They were already here.

Archived