Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cc_star

Post-Match City 0 - 1 Cardiff

Cracking game, but disappointing as hell too, not just disappointing, but anger-inducing... just WTF?

Very unlucky to be on the wrong end of the scoreline. Cardiff did what every good side can do though, be pretty far off the boil & still win.

We had everything, all the play, possession in the final third, dominated possession, driving forward in numbers, quick passing, great off the ball movement but nothing to show for it other than hitting the woodwork 3 times and their keeper keeping them in it.

We seemed to go off the boil a bit when Vardy went off & Waggy came on though, as the game went away from us & fell into a bit of a pattern of us attacking then attacking again before they broke.

Konchesky's aimless hoof annoy the feck out of me though, real lack of attacking speed down that left side since he came back, Dyer did ok, particularly in the first half but 2nd half that left side (our most productive) petered out with Konch hoofing 200ft in the air to no one in particular.

Disappointing. Angry. Unlucky

---------------------------------------------

Halfway point of the season too, so...

We're not far away from being a great side in the division IMO.

Maybe one first teamer or two, whose able to make the difference in games like this, but if not we'll still be in the mix.

Not in a great run, but just to put some persepective on it, after 22 games we're 4 points above where Reading were this time last season, where they used the Jan transfer window to tweak what they had and went on a great second half of the season.

Position P W D L CS FtS F A GD Pt PPG

5 Leicester City 22 11 4 7 8 3 37 21 +16 37 1.68

7 Reading 22 9 6 7 8 7 27 22 +5 33 1.50

So, at the halfway stage - it's all to play for and there's a lot we've got right this time around with only a tweak or two needed

Happy Christmas

Halfway is 23 games. Reading had 36 points from 23 games. We have 37. Better, but not by much.

I haven't seen him in recent games so I don't if he was any better.

I don't think he did enough though, he did some good things, but most of them were in possession (though even his curling shot that went wide should have been on target IMO) When our other players have got the ball he was doing his disappearing act a lot of the time and he rarely never seems to have a real desire to win tackles.

We really needed some movement and options off the ball, the fact we went long so often said it all. So many times when our defenders or midfielders were looking forward there was nothing on for them because our other midfielders were nowhere to be seen. I thought he showed a lack of effort when he really should have been busting a gut on some occassions.

I don't think King's consistently effective enough to be guaranteed a starting place.

I just think King was much better today than in recent games, he won balls and created chances for himself. Yes the midfield ran out of ideas, but so did the defence by lumping it up all the time, Konchesky and Whitbread hoofed it too many times. King had the two best chances of the game for us as well, so I don't see what your getting at.

I have seen him play much worse this season, but today I thought he was decent and one of our better players. It was Drinkwater who seemed a bit lost out there and negative in his approach.

Or maybe I need to drink less

Good banter firm 7/10.

Agreed.

I'm also not sure why having a lot of possession equates to playing well to some people.

It's not the "having posession", but the number of chances we created which we couldn't have done had we not been playing well. You can't argue that we didn't play very well in those opening 20 mins; unfortunately, we didn't take the chances we created.

I just think King was much better today than in recent games, he won balls and created chances for himself. Yes the midfield ran out of ideas, but so did the defence by lumping it up all the time, Konchesky and Whitbread hoofed it too many times. King had the two best chances of the game for us as well, so I don't see what your getting at.

I have seen him play much worse this season, but today I thought he was decent and one of our better players. It was Drinkwater who seemed a bit lost out there and negative in his approach.

Good banter firm 7/10.

By best chances I assume you mean best efforts, I'd argue one was a very good effort, the other was a good run followed by a disappointing finish. Vardy had an equally good effort that hit the bar.

Regardless, A couple of decent moments doesn't define a 90 minutes (unless you do something match winning). I don't think he did enough today, I don't think he won that many balls, I don't think he supported attacks well in general and that's one of the reasons most of them came to nothing, I don't think he wanted/claimed possession enough or stamped his authority on the game, and I don't think he tracked back well enough (they broke far better than we did for a number of reasons). Other midfielders were guilty of similar things, Knocky did well on the ball but wasn't involved as much as I would have liked, Drinkwater didn't do enough, Dyer barely did anything. But I was particularly disappointed in King for his disappearing acts and lack of 100% effort.

He may well have improved on recent performances but he needs to improve more.

Sure, a few bullshit transfer rumours to give me some false hope in January wouldn't go amiss.

Boring hell, that's original.

Stick to thinking you're the top boy on here rather than trying to be funny.

We are going to do a Reading dream on.

Why not they made a marquee signing in Jason Roberts he was widely seen as the catalyst that transformed their season! Who says we can't do that?

Why not? they made a marquee signing in Jason Roberts he was widely seen as the catalyst that transformed their season! Who says we can't do that?

It's not the "having posession", but the number of chances we created which we couldn't have done had we not been playing well. You can't argue that we didn't play very well in those opening 20 mins; unfortunately, we didn't take the chances we created.

First half we did play well in general because we did create chances and tested the keeper.

The second half was a different story, we barely created any chances, but some people thought we played 'brilliant'.

I've heard it a number of times this season, people saying we were great when in fact all we did was had a lot of the ball and did nothing with it. I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone in particular.

Boring hell, that's original.

Stick to thinking you're the top boy on here rather than trying to be funny.

Well frankly accusing me of clutching at straws and thinking my own opinion is correct (what a crime), isn't that original either. Sorry for pointing out your failings, obviously only mine deserve to be brought to light.

Why not they made a marquee signing in Jason Roberts he was widely seen as the catalyst that transformed their season! Who says we can't do that?

It is just unlikely imo, they had the strength of character to do that because of the disappointment of losing at Wembley the previous season.

I agree, one or two quality additions in Jan and we can have a real go. If not, I fear we will be play offs at best.

Do you really think someone like Jason Roberts is the answer, or do we need more of a goalscorer.

I can see where your coming from, with experienced strikers and teams getting players like that in to help push them on towards promotion.

Cardiff have brought in Helguson this season, Reading brought in Roberts last season.

Suppose it's a possibility as he isn't been in the Reading side.

Well frankly accusing me of clutching at straws and thinking my own opinion is correct (what a crime), isn't that original either. Sorry for pointing out your failings, obviously only mine deserve to be brought to light.

Failings? Just to let you know. Only one time have I ever made up anything regarding transfers.

Being back the old schoolers who didn't take foxestalk like it was the most important thing in the world.

Do you really think someone like Jason Roberts is the answer, or do we need more of a goalscorer.

I can see where your coming from, with experienced strikers and teams getting players like that in to help push them on towards promotion.

Cardiff have brought in Helguson this season, Reading brought in Roberts last season.

I don't think that's what he's saying at all, he's just suggesting that one good signing can completely turn a clubs fortunes around, doesn't have to be exactly the same sort of player.

I wasn't saying sign him KF, was using the example of the difference he made to Reading last season!

I don't think that's what he's saying at all, he's just suggesting that one good signing can completely turn a clubs fortunes around, doesn't have to be exactly the same sort of player.

Might help with an experienced striker, has helped Cardiff and Reading in the last two seasons.

But I think we need someone out of favour from a Premier League side.

Failings? Just to let you know. Only one time have I ever made up anything regarding transfers.

Being back the old schoolers who didn't take foxestalk like it was the most important thing in the world.

No offense but I've seen you get uptight on countless occasions when people have questioned your information regarding transfer stories, so I wouldn't criticise people for acting like foxestalk is the most important thing in the world. Glass houses and all that.

Archived