Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cc_star

Post-Match City 0 - 1 Cardiff

Surprised by the comments about De Laet, I think it was one of his strongest defensive performances today, he actually got stuck in and put some very good tackles in. One tackle when they hit us on the counter attack, in front of where I sit in the family stand, was a cracking tackle, judged it to perfection,

De Laet and Knockaert on the right side especially first half, was the only real good thing about the performance. However for some reason Pearson decided to swap Knockaert and Dyer, and put Dyer on the right with De Laet. From then on, De Laet began to struggle and mistakes started to creep in.

But I thought for the majority of today's game he was pretty good.

Same with King, people are still complaining about the midfield, but I didn't think we got overpowered today and got dominated by there midfield, Andy King won a lot of balls in midfield today, some of them were top class, which created 2 good chances for himself, one where he hit the bar and one he put just wide. King was much better today, it was the defence and the lack of precision and ideas in the final third which were the problems.

Part of the reason for that was the midfield. The defence resorted to hoofing it aimlessly because none of our midfielders were showing for the ball. At times there were 5 Cardiff players in a better position to intercept than any of our midfielders were to recieve the ball.

Numerous times we were on a break and it slowed down to nothing because our so called midfielders did not get forward quickly enough. King was a massive cluprit, he often just jogs half-heartedly, and some of these passages of play were crucial.

On the same subject, our strikers movement wasn't good enough. When we were getting into the final third we need to find a killer pass but it's extremely difficult if the players in front of the ball, both midfielders and strikers, aren't making a worthwhile run. I thought Nugent and Vardy struggled to get into the game at times, as did Waggy when he came on.

Surprised by the comments about De Laet, I think it was one of his strongest defensive performances today, he actually got stuck in and put some very good tackles in. One tackle when they hit us on the counter attack, in front of where I sit in the family stand, was a cracking tackle, judged it to perfection,

De Laet and Knockaert on the right side especially first half, was the only real good thing about the performance. However for some reason Pearson decided to swap Knockaert and Dyer, and put Dyer on the right with De Laet. From then on, De Laet began to struggle and mistakes started to creep in.

Same with King, people are still complaining about the midfield, but I didn't think we got overpowered today and got dominated by there midfield, Andy King won a lot of balls in midfield today, some of them were top class, which created 2 good chances for himself, one where he hit the bar and one he put just wide. King was much better today, it was the defence and the lack of precision and ideas in the final third which were the problems.

Tend to agree with you which worries me

:nono:

:blink::jawdrop:

Mate... I getcha but think about what you are saying? It's like saying 'if we had scored more conversions' in Rugby, or 'if we had finished more doubles' in Darts, or 'caught more fish' in Angling....

The point to football is scoring goals...

There's NO point in having possession against better sides, making chances and then not converting them. It's happened too often all season hasn't it...

And then we've conceded a sucker punch of a goal scored by the opposition from near the edge of the area. THAT'S happened too often too.

Agreed.

I'm also not sure why having a lot of possession equates to playing well to some people.

There were some positives I thought today, I though Knocky and Dirnky I thought had a great game and for the first half an hour we were destroying them it was fantastic to see.

But this is the second team in a week to put 5 across the midfield and when we don't score in the first half an hour or when they go one up we seem just to run out of ideas. It was to easy for Cardiff in the second half.

Personally I think we need to change from the rigid 4-4-2, even when Lingard came on we were still 4 across the middle. Where was Schlupp I thought it was crying out to go 4-3-3

On the subject of strength, it is an issue, but I think a much bigger issue today was the bypassing of the midfield, which is what people were saying about the Millwall game. In the second half especially we couldn't play it through the middle, nobody seemed to want the ball enough, and even if they did, they seemed reluctant to try and make something happen. So we went long which was never going to work, certainly not with the forward players we had on the pitch.

So what you're saying is, it's unfair to judge a manager based on 11 games. Good, I agree with you.

I think what I was alluding to is that, a lot like mentioning the Nazi's in an internet debate, that if you have to invoke Martin O'Neill in order to justify giving a manager more time then you've already lost the argument.

I really don't know to be fair. He gave away the penalty against Bolton down to his inexperience. If we could get an experienced left back who was good at attacking and defending it would be great but sadly there aren't many who would come to Leicester.

It was against Leeds, and you can't say it cost us the game as we had 89 mins left to put it right. It was harsh to drop him immediately, and we've paid for it since with the poor performances of Konch. Schlupp, in spite of his tender years, is a better defender than Konch. He also adds so much more to the attack, with a crisp & accurate pass and speed to make the occasional dangerous runs. Someone pointed out in an earlier thread that he adds more to Dyer's performance working in tandem with him. Lloyd's performances have tailed off over the last few weeks, whereas he was outstanding before - coincidence??

Mate... I getcha but think about what you are saying? It's like saying 'if we had scored more conversions' in Rugby, or 'if we had finished more doubles' in Darts, or 'caught more fish' in Angling....

The point to football is scoring goals...

There's NO point in having possession against better sides, making chances and then not converting them. It's happened too often all season hasn't it...

And then we've conceded a sucker punch of a goal scored by the opposition from near the edge of the area. THAT'S happened too often too.

Hey mate,I'm saying, with clinical finishing or a bit more luck the game could have taken the shape of the Ipswich and Derby games. Trying to highlight the deficiencies without the usual Foxes Talk overreaction.We are a second clinical striker and midfield general away from being a very good side IMO

I think what I was alluding to is that, a lot like mentioning the Nazi's in an internet debate, that if you have to invoke Martin O'Neill in order to justify giving a manager more time then you've already lost the argument.

Really?

Because O'Neill doing badly in 11 games and Taylor doing brilliantly in 11, sounds like a great argument for not judging a manager on 11 games to me.

Part of the reason for that was the midfield. The defence resorted to hoofing it aimlessly because none of our midfielders were showing for the ball. At times there were 5 Cardiff players in a better position to intercept than any of our midfielders were to recieve the ball.

Numerous times we were on a break and it slowed down to nothing because our so called midfielders did not get forward quickly enough. King was a massive cluprit, he often just jogs half-heartedly, and some of these passages of play were crucial.

On the same subject, our strikers movement wasn't good enough. When we were getting into the final third we need to find a killer pass but it's extremely difficult if the players in front of the ball, both midfielders and strikers, aren't making a worthwhile run. I thought Nugent and Vardy struggled to get into the game at times, as did Waggy when he came on.

King and Drinkwater didn't get outplayed though, something which has happened in recent weeks against teams like Millwall. King didn't do too bad in my opinion, you wanted someone to win balls in the midfield, and King did that often today. He created two good chances for himself, by winning the ball in midfield. Him and Knockaert combined well in parts as well. I just thought he did better today, than in recent games.

I don't understand why people have been complaining about King either today. Some of his runs with the ball were brilliant, and some of his runs off the ball were even better.

My only concern about De Laet is he needs to be simpler sometimes, a few times today he nearly lost it needlessly. Thought he had a decent game as well though. In fact I thought most of the players did, now I've had time to reflect. No way did we deserve to lose it, Cardiff weren't anything special but I guess that's the mark of a good side, win without playing too well.

I don't understand why people have been complaining about King either today. Some of his runs with the ball were brilliant, and some of his runs off the ball were even better.

Plus a bit of crucial defensive work at the end.

Plus a bit of crucial defensive work at the end.

Yeah I thought that was game, set, match before he stepped in. He seemed well up for it today, may have something to do with him playing for Wales. I think he's one of our most unappreciated players at times.

Marshall has been awful this season, does nothing when he comes on.

Vardy again looked out of his depth and got lost in the game.

De Laet was one of the stand out players for me. I don't think we were watching the same game.

Marshall hasn't been the force we hoped he would be, but it's going over the top to say he does nothinbg when he comes on. He had an effective appearence at Sheff W, where he scored, and he created a much-needed goal when he came on against Derby, to name the first two that spring to mind.

King and Drinkwater didn't get outplayed though, something which has happened in recent weeks against teams like Millwall. King didn't do too bad in my opinion, you wanted someone to win balls in the midfield, and King did that often today. He created two good chances for himself, by winning the ball in midfield. Him and Knockaert combined well in parts as well. I just thought he did better today, than in recent games.

I haven't seen him in recent games so I don't if he was any better.

I don't think he did enough though, he did some good things, but most of them were in possession (though even his curling shot that went wide should have been on target IMO) When our other players have got the ball he was doing his disappearing act a lot of the time and he rarely never seems to have a real desire to win tackles.

We really needed some movement and options off the ball, the fact we went long so often said it all. So many times when our defenders or midfielders were looking forward there was nothing on for them because our other midfielders were nowhere to be seen. I thought he showed a lack of effort when he really should have been busting a gut on some occassions.

I don't think King's consistently effective enough to be guaranteed a starting place.

My only concern about De Laet is he needs to be simpler sometimes, a few times today he nearly lost it needlessly. Thought he had a decent game as well though. In fact I thought most of the players did, now I've had time to reflect. No way did we deserve to lose it, Cardiff weren't anything special but I guess that's the mark of a good side, win without playing too well.

Yep to me I have seen King play a lot worse. Today he played well, and actually won balls in midfield, something people wanted, yet they are still moaning.

I don't rate De Laet, but I thought he played well today, defensively he was much better, and him and Knockaert looked dangerous in the first half, second half as I said Knocky and Dyer swapped sides, and De Laet didn't have the same understanding and fluency as he had with Knocky.

Archived