Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Get off the back of Wood!

Read so much nonsense on here lately about Wood.

'He's a donkey', 'his link up play is terrible.....'he is only a finisher'.

He is 21 years of age, and has scored 9 goals in 3 months, averaging almost a goal a week'.

Were we expecting some kind of 'miracle' product, already at it's peak 7 years before the average age to peak?

Jesus....i'm glad we don't start schlupp, if he played more often and didn't score 20 a season he would be deemed as 'not good enough'.

Some of you guys on here need to take a long hard luck at some of the more senior members of our squad, inexperienced wood has scored more than half the amount of goals which nuge has, in less than half the amount of games. I haven't seen Nuge string more than 2 passes together in a game since jan/feb, and can barely remember too many shots.

It's the expeirenced professionals like konch, wes, nuge and even kingy which need to be looked at and take responsibility first, not some of the younger lads.

I cannot remember Schlupp getting hounded like this so much, and he is only a year younger than wood. In fact, he has probably played more games for us over the last 2 seasons combined than wood has, but i bet his goal to game ratio is lower.

Agreed.

He holds the ball up well but nobody seems to support him, an example of that could be seen at Barnsley - he held the ball up but nobody ran onto the ball (which players like Lampard and Gerrard do every week).

And I'd be frustrated if I was him, with our pointless long ball. He is never going to beat players like Shittu in the air.

... You make a good point about the older/experienced professionals as well.

He's one of the players putting in gash performances and when I've seen him recently his effort has been lacking.

He's got talent but that makes his recent displays all the more unacceptable.

There's a man's job at stake here and certain people aren't so quick to get off his back.

So all in all, I'm happy for him to take a share of the stick.

He's one of the players putting in gash performances and when I've seen him recently his effort has been lacking.

He's got talent but that makes his recent displays all the more unacceptable.

There's a man's job at stake here and certain people aren't so quick to get off his back.

So all in all, I'm happy for him to take a share of the stick.

yet no one blames nugent, one of the most expeirenced players we have who has looked like a sunday league player the last few months.

Wood has been one of the better players. At 0-0 at Derby and at barnsley he cushioned two beautiful headers to the edge of the box for his striker partner who was absolutely nowhere.

There is no point in him trying, Nuge doesn't have the ability to anticipate what he is gonna do.

Agreed.

He holds the ball up well but nobody seems to support him, an example of that could be seen at Barnsley - he held the ball up but nobody ran onto the ball (which players like Lampard and Gerrard do every week).

And I'd be frustrated if I was him, with our pointless long ball. He is never going to beat players like Shittu in the air.

... You make a good point about the older/experienced professionals as well.

He doesn't hold the ball well. He's got the touch of a donkey!

Not his game though. The bloke is a finisher and the supply to him has been well and truly lacking in recent weeks!

yet no one blames nugent, one of the most expeirenced players we have who has looked like a sunday league player the last few months.

Wood has been one of the better players. At 0-0 at Derby and at barnsley he cushioned two beautiful headers to the edge of the box for his striker partner who was absolutely nowhere.

Agree with both of those points, especially the last one... And adding to the last point myself, Wood also connected with a header against Millwall, sent it back across the six yard box and no Leicester City player was there to tap it in (hence it got cleared).

Konchesky is another experienced player that has been poor... Against Barnsley on Monday, he was just playing balls anywhere without thinking.

He holds the ball up well? Did you see how easily shittu dealt with him.....

Shittu would deal with any striker in this division.

I've never written anything negative about him before (except maybe in a player ratings thread) but the fact is he's not been good lately (in fact in some games I've seen recently he's offered nothing and his first touch has been poor) and if people were to criticise him; I think they've got a valid point (depending on the what the exact criticism was). Not saying he's a bad player, but recently he has been.

You can't just ignore poor performances because a player is young. But on the flipside shouldn't be too overly critical either.

I think the difference between Schlupp and Wood is when Schlupp's not scoring he contributes in other ways so not sure thats a good comparison. Plus he's not going to be scoring much from left-back which is where he spends most of his time at the min.

The Nugent one is fairer and they've both been just as bad as each other recently.

not been funny but have you seen his record from everyother club hes been at it is dreadful he doesn't go up for headers which is what a tall bloke like him is meant to do he backs into them like he wants their dick in his arse , I wouldn't of had him as someone on the shortlist to buy in January but his form is poor yes but then again hes only come good for pretty much half a season

not been funny but have you seen his record from everyother club hes been at it is dreadful he doesn't go up for headers which is what a tall bloke like him is meant to do he backs into them like he wants their dick in his arse , I wouldn't of had him as someone on the shortlist to buy in January but his form is poor yes but then again hes only come good for pretty much half a season

i don't care about a players record at other clubs, his record here so far is more than acceptable.

As me and fox 92 have pointed out, he has won 3 key headers in the last 3 games, but no one has been there to convert.

Give the lad a break, without his goals we would've drifted away from the playoffs a long time ago. He does look like he needs a rest but we have so little other options it doesn't really make that viable. Also our creativity has been poor of late and I struggle to think of any striker in this league that would get many goals in this side at the moment

yeah 3 wow would be good if he could do it more often the way I see it he isn't any better than steve howard , all he ever does is back into the player and then concede a free kick and wonder why? pearson got him to score goals which fair play he did and his forms ran away but we have no ariel threat what so ever

Guest bss9401

Let's face it:- Wood, Waghorn, Futacs, Vardy, Kane, Beckford, and Schlupp (as a striker) are all front men who struggle to score and have lost confidence while playing for our Nige. Big problem.

Give the lad a break, without his goals we would've drifted away from the playoffs a long time ago. He does look like he needs a rest but we have so little other options it doesn't really make that viable. Also our creativity has been poor of late and I struggle to think of any striker in this league that would get many goals in this side at the moment

agree.

I think it helped at milwall that he got rotated with keogh and henderson.

Here he is number one since nuge has been terrible.

yeah 3 wow would be good if he could do it more often the way I see it he isn't any better than steve howard , all he ever does is back into the player and then concede a free kick and wonder why? pearson got him to score goals which fair play he did and his forms ran away but we have no ariel threat what so ever

why are you comparing him to steve howard??

Wood is not a target man.

He is a goalscorer, at the age of 21, a rarity in this league.

You might aswell compare schlupp to wood, as height has nothing to do with being a target man.

Archived