Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Get off the back of Wood!

Personally, I feel that Wood as a player is not the problem, more the fact that our style of play has changed since he came in. The players have used Wood as an excuse to lump it long every time - which admittedly he struggles to hold up as he never jumps for headers/rarely wins them, is easily shrugged off by centre backs and always seems to play with his back to goal rather than looking to turn. When Wood is marked tight, he is easy to handle.

We looked a MUCH better side when Vardy was a team. Everybody slated me when I said this about a month ago but stats don't lie. Our best ATTACKING football came with Vardy up front, we scored goals when Vardy was in the side, he may not have contributed too much himself but his workrate and guile offered so much to the TEAM and we played out from the back, none of this hoofball into Wood from Konchesky and Keane (two biggest culprits).

Nugent's form has been similarly affected by the change in style of play but he improved by a ridiculous amount when he was partnered by Schlupp when Wood went off at Barnsley and between them had 5/6 good chances - all created from crossing positions or neat intricate passing in and around the box... spot the common denominator.

No doubt Wood and Nugent will start at Brighton though, which if they do is fvcking suicide. For fvcks sake, start Schlupp up front and make him our FIRST choice striker. He had a good run in the team around Christmas last season, displacing Beckford from the team and he gave us a whole new dimension until he got injured at Forest. Thankfully, he's come back strong from his injury and he looks so dangerous every time he gets the ball. He tore Derby one from the left side and grabbed a goal and looked a massive threat at Barnsley. We need to build the team around Schlupp.

He can control a ball when he's not scoring :surrender:

I wasn't comparing Wood to RVP I was making a point about form, confidence and dry spells.....it just happens sometimes and let's face it essex the whole team hasn't been basking in glory and confidence for the last 2 months!

I wasn't comparing Wood to RVP I was making a point about form, confidence and dry spells.....it just happens sometimes and let's face it essex the whole team hasn't been basking in glory and confidence for the last 2 months!

Spot on now how to get Wood firing on all cylinders again in partnership with Schlupp perhaps?

Okay, I know we've been god-awful but I'm yet to be convinced what Wood brings to the team when he's not scoring, hope he gets a few goals and then starts to prove me wrong.

Yeah and how fvckin sh*t is that willy puller Robin Van Persie too?

Exactly.

Given as an own goal on Saturday which means RVP has gone 8/9 (can't remember) games without scoring.

Sir Alex said on SSN that every striker in the World goes through these spells, we just have to hope it doesn't long.

This.

He hasn't scored in ages (unless you count Titus Bramble's own goal at the weekend).

Form is....

Form is......

Everything at this level. Because we need instant sucess and if they have any class. They wont be playing for us for long.

Give the lad a break, without his goals we would've drifted away from the playoffs a long time ago. He does look like he needs a rest but we have so little other options it doesn't really make that viable. Also our creativity has been poor of late and I struggle to think of any striker in this league that would get many goals in this side at the moment

Spot on!

Give the lad a break, without his goals we would've drifted away from the playoffs a long time ago. He does look like he needs a rest but we have so little other options it doesn't really make that viable. Also our creativity has been poor of late and I struggle to think of any striker in this league that would get many goals in this side at the moment

This.

Good post.

Just out of interest, does anyone know his injury status? To me he looks unfit and largely immobile, like he is carrying an injury (the mysterious knee problem perhaps?)........ :dunno:

I accept that the service to our frontmen has been woeful in recent times, but he does get a few opportunities but seems reluctant to commit fully to making the most of them. Hence my thoughts about him playing with a 'knock'.

This has been a collective meltdown. No individual player has cost us the games we have chucked away. With confidence as low as it seems in this team every error, mistake, misjudgement etc is polarised and simply adds to the weight of the failure. You can see it sitting on players backs like a fecking great monkey.

Just out of interest, does anyone know his injury status? To me he looks unfit and largely immobile, like he is carrying an injury (the mysterious knee problem perhaps?)........ :dunno:

I accept that the service to our frontmen has been woeful in recent times, but he does get a few opportunities but seems reluctant to commit fully to making the most of them. Hence my thoughts about him playing with a 'knock'.

Nothing's been mentioned from what I know, no news about an injury on his twitter. It's probably down to him being tired. The guys just recently came back from playing for New Zealand and then straight into the first team. More than likely jaded.

Nothing's been mentioned from what I know, no news about an injury on his twitter. It's probably down to him being tired. The guys just recently came back from playing for New Zealand and then straight into the first team. More than likely jaded.

For nearly 10 weeks....... :dunno:

Not having a go at the lad, I feel his lack of goals and poor form is as much a symptom of our lousy play as anything, but I remain concerned about his lack of sharpness and commitment.

As rightly pointed out, many of our players seem off form at present. I was interested in a recent comment made by a Brighton supporter on our site who appeared genuine and had no real axe to grind. Of Wood he commented 'Wood looked a good buy for you, gave us real problems when Millwall were down with 2 good goals but his work rate seemed rather poor'.Thus far I have to partly agree with this comment. I believe that he definitely has an eye for goals and has proved that. For a big bloke however he doesn't appear to use his size and bulk very well but it could be that he just isn't that archetypal target man i.e. 'just lump it up in the air to the big bloke' as he seem fairly assured with the ball to feet. His work rate however compared to someone like Nugent however is quite poor imo. The over-riding factor for me though is that like many of this seasons signings, he's very young and still learning his trade and in our natural craving for success we perhaps sometimes forget this. He, like James, Schlupp, DeLaet, Keane, Knockeart, Drinkwater and Marshall are all relatively young lads, some of whom haven't even played a full season at this level before. I'm still very upbeat about them as for once, if we can keep hold of them, the future could be quite exciting (they might also be worth a few bob in the future as well). Who knows what 'experience' NP and his team tried to get in to compliment these youngsters that didn't come off, loan or otherwise.

Wood for me was a good buy at the money imo and issues like work rate and use of his physique etc can be learned and improved upon if necessary. If we don't go up this season and can compliment our current crop with a bit more experience in the summer the future looks bright. Yes we are currently in a slump but we've seen some brilliant stuff as well!

It's just unfortunate for Wood who joined us and started straight away knocking them in that he has dried up. Let's not take it out of context because the likes of Van Persie and Torres to name just two have also been there. I'm sure his form will return but the situation has been highlighted because other strikers have not been hitting the target either.

We've seen it happen to Nugent before and I'm afraid Vardy is out of his depth. Great, free-scoring in the Conference but no experience of League football and the gulf is too great for him. If he had had a season in League 2 to see what he could offer there before the cash was splashed then it might have been a different story.

He needs a rest.

He has never been expected to play week in week out during his career so far.

Even though he was Milwall's top scorer he was still rotated a lot with henderson and keogh.

A similar thing is happening with Knocky, so many games, needs a rest.

It hasn't helped earlier in the season that we had the attitude of 'don't change a winning team', as it clearly doesn't work. No team has ever won 46 straight games in this division proving the 'don't change a winning team' attitude is just cobblers.

It's not his fault fault but we play better football with him off the field. He has the physical attributes of a target man, so sub consciously our inexperienced team try to play him as exactly that which leads to hoof ball. Unfortunately he is pretty poor at holding the ball up and that therefore leads to loss of possession.

He isn't a target man but we use him as one, this in effect has led to our downfall unfortunately. It's no coincidence that without him we went back to our very good passing game at Brighton.

Feel sorry for the lad really as its not his fault. He must be frustrated.

Archived