Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
nickm

Does Pearson Really Buy Well?

So far, how many of his signings look good enough for Premier League football?

I'm going to stick my neck out and say none, but it would be genuinely interesting to see who from his signings people think will be able to rise to that standard, whether Nige takes them there or someone else.

Surely at the start of this season he has to buy players to get us out of this league?

I would say De Laet, James and Knockaert will all play premier league football. I know he's only on loan but I think Keane will be a top draw centre back and will not only play for England but will captain England one day. Baring injuries.

Drinkwater, Wood and Morgan if they play to their potential could all play at a lower premier league level.

Kasper?

If the players were good enough for the premier league then we wouldn't have signed them. Fact is no one knows how some players will fare at top level until they are playing there. Look at some of the players in there now, average players but proving to be decent premier league players.

The thing with most NP's signings is that they have shown they are capable of good performances and are young enough to improve.

Especially when you look at the likes of Norwich, Swansea and Stoke when they first went up, they were very average and still managed to play in the Premier League.

I don't think these players can be judged for Premier League yet, if they were good enough for the Premier League then they'd be playing there already - which is what some posters have already said.

But, it's probably fair to judge NP's signings from his first spell. How many of them are playing in the Premier League? (genuine question, not having a go lol)

We didn't get to 2nd place because of luck. The lads looked unbeatable in the first half of the season, we hit this bad patch and now there shit signings?

This needs nailing right now.

Before our run of 5 victories we took 11 points from 12 games.

How is this 'unbeatable in the first half of the season'?

It isn't just 'this bad patch', if anything you could claim it has been a poor season broken up by 2 runs of 5 victories.

When assessing the success of NP's buying habits...you can only do so by comparing his record with previous managers.

Apart from O'Neill, I do not remember a manager who has had a better recruitment policy at the club.

During NP's 2 spells at the club he has brought in a lot of good players, and like all managers, some signings haven't worked.

Spell 1 Positives - Hobbs, Morrison, Brown, Berner, Cleverly, Davies, Dyer......Weale, spearing, wellens, Gallagher, Waghorn.

Spell 2 Positives - Morgan, marshall, drinkwater.........De laet, Keane, James, Knockaert, Wood.

There has been a large array of signings which haven't worked out aswell....I am sure someone can list them aswell....but I want to make my next point.

The argument that NP does not improve players is a complete myth. Andy King would not have become a wales international had it not been for the trust which NP has put into him, liam moore has began to come into the picture and has put in some decent performances so far but is still very young, Jeff Schlupp has looked far more effective in the 3-4 games I have seen him this season than the performances he gave last season, in fact since training with United he has looked far more Confident on the pitch. Marshall is another one which has actually improved, the fact he was given an under 21 call up under NP's management shows he has clearly improved, but has been horribly out of form this season.

I do agree with one point Col makes though, about adding more experienced heads. At times this season if we had a couple of players along the lines of Michael Brown in the squad (not necessarily to play a lot) to add a bit of experience we could be in a better place.

But I think NP has been given a clear task of completely overhauling the squad, and bringing in younger and cheaper players. Remember the amount of debt we are in, and the statement Susan Whelan made when NP came in last season. She said the Thai's want the club to become 'Self-Sufficient'. We already have around 4 experienced heads at the club who don't play a lot, wellens, gallagher, danns and beckford.

These older players have no re-sale value, and do not help towards self-sufficiency, so I believe the only way we will see 'older heads' being brought in is when there other 'old heads' have left.

It is vital though that we do bring in more experience. That is where i believe the downfall has come from this season.

This season has been the first full season in their club careers for being around the first team....De Laet, Keane, Drinkwater, Marshall, Knocky, James, schlupp, moore etc.

They have no idea how to cope with a bad run, they have never experienced a bad run, but hopefully they will be better for next season as a result.

I don't think these players can be judged for Premier League yet, if they were good enough for the Premier League then they'd be playing there already - which is what some posters have already said.

But, it's probably fair to judge NP's signings from his first spell. How many of them are playing in the Premier League? (genuine question, not having a go lol)

But does that know show how good a man-manager he is if he took a bunch of players currently playing for clubs lower than us...to the playoffs?

This needs nailing right now.

Before our run of 5 victories we took 11 points from 12 games.

How is this 'unbeatable in the first half of the season'?

It isn't just 'this bad patch', if anything you could claim it has been a poor season broken up by 2 runs of 5 victories.

Well you might have corrected me but when I meant 'unbeatable' I was meaning when we was on fire and claimed 2nd spot before the rut began. We was playing very good football at this time and we did look unbeatable at times.

I wouldn't class it as a poor season as of yet, we could still hit playoffs and have the chance of promotion, which is our goal, and it's still achievable.

Its just a typical campaign for us, consistency is what we lack.

Totally disagree with the "These players aren't good enough for the PL" argument

- Of course they're not - that's why they're in the Championship

- Do you see many other PL players in the other Championship teams? Maybe Zaha, Bellamy, Whittingham.....can't think of many more!

- What about other successful championship players? Glen Murray - scorer of 30 goals this season - would he cut it in the PL - I don't think so

- How exactly do you define a 'PL player' anyway? Did anyone think that Adam Le Fondre (Not too long ago playing for Rotheram in League 2!) would score 12 goals in the premier league?

The fact is there's no such thing as a PL player - you're good or you're bad - we've seen countless examples of players doing well in any league - (Ricky Lambert anyone?) but also countless examples of players doing well in one league but not in another, we've even seen examples of players doing well in the PL but rubbish in the championship.

It comes down to individual player's ability to adapt - since we've never seen any of our players in the PL we can't exactly comment one way or another can we? Who's to say who'll sink or swim?

if you call that buying well,id say that he only buys players that he can control hes certainly not up to controling big name players ,SO MY AMSWER IS A DEFINATE NO IF ANY PLAYER HAS A DIFFERANCE OF OPINOIN HES OUT PEARSON IS A CONTROL FREAK

YEAH MATE

When people paint David Cameron is a w****r outside their house, but spell it wrong is pretty thick going.

I know what you mean lol

I'm a born and bred 'New Parky' but I can't stand the place, moved away to upperclass Stoneygate.

Archived