Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Was Schlupp's Performance Really Positive?

His movement was excellent, always offered an option to the team.

But his finishing was generally poor and I'd rather he played on the left with Nugent/ Wood as the central striker.

I'd rather we played 4-4-2 with Schlupp AND Wood upfront

Have stayed away since Fri...thought it'd be doom and gloom. One thing I didn't expect was abuse of our young striker who scored!

He caused them lots of problems...scored a goal. Some poor touches and lacked strength but he was a darn sight better than Nugent.

For a young man who's been pissed about more than most this season he scored the goal that should have won us the game and had the second closest thing to a goal with a rising shot that hit the bar. He also had another great chance in the first half too making him by far our most dangerous forward - the next being midfielder Andy King.

No Schlupp didn't play a faultless game any more than anyone else but he did pose a constant threat and he did have to be contained because he was the only one of our three strikers who looked like he might outrun, evade or out-think the opposition with his movement.

Bang on again. Close thread.

Schlupp had a good game, always looked dangerous, created space for others and had their defenders turning round. If you were a defender you wouldn.t want to play against him.

This is exactly how I've been thinking. With Wood, you get tight to him, he can't turn and has the touch of a rapist. With Nugent, you stand a yard or two off because he has no ability to beat a man and doesn't have the pace to get in behind. With Schlupp, if you get tight, he'll go in behind. If you drop deep, he has the ability to take men on. I think a lot have forged unfair opinions on Schlupp in where he has got into dangerous positions, running at the two centre backs with no support but has lost the ball every time. Although, he has the ability to do a 'Joachim' and if he could work on that, we're onto a winner because he's decent in the air, is strong as an ox and with his back to goal has the ability to turn or give 1-2's and get in behind. He has all the attribute to be an all-round footballer, why else would Man '****ing' United look at him for? Open your eyes, this is the most exciting striker we've had since Heskey and Joachim, I've never been so certain with any player I've seen before that Jeffrey will prove all of his doubters wrong.

This is exactly how I've been thinking. With Wood, you get tight to him, he can't turn and has the touch of a rapist. With Nugent, you stand a yard or two off because he has no ability to beat a man and doesn't have the pace to get in behind. With Schlupp, if you get tight, he'll go in behind. If you drop deep, he has the ability to take men on. I think a lot have forged unfair opinions on Schlupp in where he has got into dangerous positions, running at the two centre backs with no support but has lost the ball every time. Although, he has the ability to do a 'Joachim' and if he could work on that, we're onto a winner because he's decent in the air, is strong as an ox and with his back to goal has the ability to turn or give 1-2's and get in behind. He has all the attribute to be an all-round footballer, why else would Man '****ing' United look at him for? Open your eyes, this is the most exciting striker we've had since Heskey and Joachim, I've never been so certain with any player I've seen before that Jeffrey will prove all of his doubters wrong.

I hope you're right Ted

He's unpredictable, making him much harder to mark.

We COULD have a little gem on our hands here.

The real bonus also is that he's not been playing often so the opposition scouts haven't had the chance to watch him much.

Still not convinced by his all round game, but he causes the problems that create the chances he misses... If that makes sense.

Might miss a few but is getting them in the net at some point and works his socks off. Keep it up Jeffrey!

his performances since he's actually been given a chance have been really positive. he works hard, he has talent and you can see it means a lot to him.

it does makes the fact that 1) pearson sent him on trial to man utd and 2) even before that, he wasn't regularly getting into our squad, let alone our first team, all the more strange and reflects quite poorly on pearson i think.

I'm not sure about him as a striker yet, seems to scuff his shots but a better option than Nugent of the last two months though. Strangely he's scored both his goals literally seconds after being moved back to the wing.

He's never have been in the position he was to score had he not been put out wide.

Considering the lambasting Pearson got for the Kane sub (that had little to do with Brightons goal) hopefully he's given a tiny slice of credit for this one.

He was shit against Birmingham until we stuck him on the wing.

Bit better tonight but all the fawning over him is only done because he's pretty quick and he's from our youth set up. If we'd signed him for a mil or more people would be ranting over his performances not stroking themselves off. Only difference between Schlupp and Vardy is the former has a bit more confidence at the moment.

I like the lad and I hope we keep hold of him and he grows but he's clearly not ready to be starting every game at this level and I'm sure he wouldn't be if Nugent was on better form.

\Only difference between Schlupp and Vardy is the former has a bit more confidence at the moment.

He wasn't shit against Birmingham. He did some things extremely well and finished dreadfully.

And Schlupp is 20. And has a goalscoring record of 2 in 3 when started up front this season (on an admittedly small sample).

He wasn't shit against Birmingham. He did some things extremely well and finished dreadfully.

And Schlupp is 20. And has a goalscoring record of 2 in 3 when started up front this season (on an admittedly small sample).

On so small a sample we'll pretend you didn't just use it.

And I'm aware he's twenty, I damn well hope he's got a lot of improving to do and I hope he does it here. I'm not knocking the lad.

I'm just saying his end product is predominantly guff in his forward role, hasn't looked like a confident finisher in the slightest - just like Vardy. Shit was probably a tad harsh but he's offered no more than JV from open play. Vardy, too, has made a few bustling runs and troubled defences with his pace, he's just come up short when it's come time for shooting.

On so small a sample we'll pretend you didn't just use it.

And I'm aware he's twenty, I damn well hope he's got a lot of improving to do and I hope he does it here. I'm not knocking the lad.

I'm just saying his end product is predominantly guff in his forward role, hasn't looked like a confident finisher in the slightest - just like Vardy. Shit was probably a tad harsh but he's offered no more than JV from open play. Vardy, too, has made a few bustling runs and troubled defences with his pace, he's just come up short when it's come time for shooting.

Vardy has come up short when it comes to his touch and his run selection.

Schlupp's touch (barring some of the aberrations against Birmingham) has looked pretty good, particularly with his back to goal and he is a lot more direct than Vardy.

Don't get me wrong, I think Vardy has a lot to offer the team in certain scenarios. He's a tireless worker and the team played its best football this season with him up front. But individually Schlupp looks to be a better player already, acknowledging that he has a lot of improving to do.

I'm sorry but Schlupp looked ****ing awful "with his back to goal" against Brum. I'm told he looked great at Brighton, I didn't go, but I thought he was majorly let down by Pearson on Friday. What he was doing as a "target man" with Wood stood on the wing was absolutely beyond me, I really can't understand some of Pearson's personnel decisions as of late.

As soon as we shifted him wide I thought he had a terrific end to the match, it seemed to lift his confidence as well and he really came to life. But banging the ball at him as a central player was a daft idea and whenever he got behind their defence he fluffed his lines n'all.

I don't want to be slagging the boy off. I really do like him, he is exciting and he is a prospect and I really hope he isn't poached and that he continues to grow. But we have this ridiculous habit of piling excessive praise and then pressure on a few of our "favourites" and I don't think it does much good. I mean the way some people on here talk about the boy you'd think he was the second coming of Pele.

I mean the way some people on here talk about the boy you'd think he was the second coming of Pele.

You're entitled to your opinion, which actually doesn't sound much different to mine, but the above sentence is nonsense. You've just made that up. I've not seen anybody say anything more generous than that he looks a good player or that he's got the potential to turn into a very good one.

You're entitled to your opinion, which actually doesn't sound much different to mine, but the above sentence is nonsense. You've just made that up. I've not seen anybody say anything more generous than that he looks a good player or that he's got the potential to turn into a very good one.

I have so I'm with the other bloke.

Archived