Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Was Schlupp's Performance Really Positive?

To be honest I thought nothing of Schlupp tonight, until he was put out wide. Was baffled with Pearson's tactics by putting Wood out wide and Schlupp down the middle. I thought he struggled down the middle, and Davies dominated him, he also had numerous chances which he failed to take, probably had around 4 chances until he actually scored, if Vardy did that people would jump on his back, yet people seem to be praising Schlupp.

As soon as we took Drinkwater off, and Schlupp was pushed out wide, he looked much better and also scored from the corner with a good header.

Also people saying 4-3-3 worked tonight, yet Nugent and Wood still under performed, so it wasn't really that great was it.

Never play Schlupp down the middle again, unless he has a proper strike partner in a 4-4-2.

Guest Mee-9

Agree with this.

Missed the chances to put the game to bed. If we're hoofing, why on earth Wood wasn't played down the centre is beyond me. He was holding the ball up well, but on the wing.

He has good close control, he pings the ball between feet which can bamboozle defences, but often it bamboozles him to a point where he'll lose it. He's got some pace, not Dyer pace but still some. Finishing wasn't great, but hey- It's nice to see someone raw coming through and who wants to put a shift in.

Strange game from Jeff really. Did a lot of good work using his pace to nick the ball off defenders and win us some throw ins in advanced areas, but, when given a chance to provide a bit of quality, he generally tripped over the ball.

Think he's got a decent first touch and pretty decent awareness, but struggles when given time to think. Also looks awkward for him to sort his legs out.

Wasn't going to comment til tomorrow, but i am now. Schlupp was poor tonight, and i'm tired of people suggesting he must be good because Utd looked at him. He wasted three clear chances. Ok, he scored, but he should have done in all honesty at least twice before.

I understand Pearson likes him, and he clearly has a knack of getting goals. But in possession a lot of the time he is just quite simply poor. There is no other way to describe it. He's an instinctive player, he's sharp on the turn and reasonably quick but i struggle to understand quite why he started as the no.9 and we waste Wood out wide.

Also, he was shattered late on, so why leave Knockaert, Marshall on the bench and continue to plau Schlupp wide in a midfield 4 baffles me.

Ultimately people will blame Nugent for tonight, but it certainly wasn't his fault. Nor am i saying Schlupp was to blame, but he should have converted his other chances, and IMO we cost ourselves tonight.

He missed some appealing chances but chances that neither Wood or NUGENT would have been a position to take.

For Nugent to be in that position he would need to make an intelligent run. For Wood to be in that position he would need to do something other than chest the ball.

I would rather see Schlupp fecking up easy chances than Nugent.

Positive in the fact he created chances for him self and opened space and actually looked bright unlike our strikers in our recent weeks, however he does seem a tad selfish had a few chances to play others in and if we're being completely cynical he probably shouldve scored one before his header.

His young, inexperienced but looked the most dangerous player on the field and proved it with his goal. He is what we should be building the team around.

Sorry but just no. Most dangerous player on the pitch?

He missed several chances. His control is poor, he doesn't look up and he can't beat a man. Not saying there isn't some potential but some people need to open their eyes for now and realise he isn't the answer.

Got into great positions, troubled their defence. A positive performance.

exactly this

neither Nugent nor Wood would of gotten half the chances Schlupp did because neither would of even gotten there to begin with, the goal will of given him a massive lift and when he plays more he'll be more settled and start to be calmer in front of goal

People need to stop going on and on about missed chances....

If you have to score 3 goals in any football match to win it, youre gonna struggle to win any game.

and at least unlike other strikers he doesn't hide away by dropping so deep he couldn't possibly miss a chance, you have to be there to miss in the 1st place, he was getting into the right places just needs more composure in front of goal, and that comes with age and game time

Good running, created space for other and good positions for himself.

Looked the forward most likely to score throughout the game.

Yes he is stil young and a couple of passes and opportunities were missed, but on last nights performance, he is the first striker chosen for me.

Good game, by a young player.

He has the touch of a baby elephant, and struggled to beat his man until he scored. He turned around several times in attack when he had one man to beat and acres of space behind him. Hasn't got anything on Mr. Zaha I'm afraid.

I think the reason wood was played out wide was because they had a small left back so we could aim for him from goal kicks etc. IMO this worked well with either wood holding the ball up or flicking it on in behind for jeff and his pace to run on to.

I thought he played well. He's quick and strong and worked exceptionally hard. His goal came from pure desire to win the ball- not enough of our players have shown that in recent weeks.

He's not a world beater, but he's got potential

Archived