Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Was Schlupp's Performance Really Positive?

They went on to finish second the season he left. And the season after. They were fine without him. Anyway, I rated Cole and always thought the 'needs x chances' stuff was a bit of a myth. He had good touch and was an excellent finisher. Schlupp has a poor first touch which and not a great finsher. The latter can be worked on to some extent. The problem of not being able to control a ball will remain though.

And Cole went on to win the league!

Schlupp's touch was excellent at Brighton.

Guest MattP

His finishing is staggeringly bad for a forward. He isnt going to make it as a frontmam.

No idea what to do with him tbh.

I don't think he's a striker.

For the last time, his best position will be left wing. No idea why people can't see this, his attributes obviously point to it. He is very dangerous when he gets on his bike and has the ability to cross.

I think people are confusing effort with skill and useful impact.

He was like a terrier, running everywhere and after everything with his pace.

But his control is not good enough, the end product just wasn't there, and he still looks too lightweight to me.

Ring Rusty! Let's give the lad a chance, when was the last time he played a full Championship match let alone up front? Yes he missed a good couple of chances and for me he sometimes nievely let his marker get in front of him too easily...but, Wood and Nugent haven't exactly been pulling up any trees themselves recently so it was worth a try and he did get his goal. I would personally rest Nugent for the next match or have him on the bench as he seems well out of sorts. I would persist with the 443 but start with Schlupp on the left, Wood in the centre and Knockhardt on the right. They don't have to slavishly maintain these positions or in a 433 operate as conventional wingers on the left and right.

Ring Rusty! Let's give the lad a chance, when was the last time he played a full Championship match let alone up front? Yes he missed a good couple of chances and for me he sometimes nievely let his marker get in front of him too easily...but, Wood and Nugent haven't exactly been pulling up any trees themselves recently so it was worth a try and he did get his goal. I would personally rest Nugent for the next match or have him on the bench as he seems well out of sorts. I would persist with the 443 but start with Schlupp on the left, Wood in the centre and Knockhardt on the right. They don't have to slavishly maintain these positions or in a 433 operate as conventional wingers on the left and right.

Insightful post. His control is normally excellent, but it's different receiving a ball at CF rather than LB. His awareness of things around him was worse than usual, both in knowing what defenders were around him when receiving the ball and on those occasions in possession when he didn't see a pass to a better-placed colleague. He lacked confidence in his shooting too. But all these things can be put down to ring-rustiness and (recent) unfamiliarity with the CF position (and playing in that position within the current team). And, at the end of the day, he missed a few opportunities but he did score. That's more than can be said for Wood, Nugent, King, Keane etc.

Last two matches we have finally looked like we might win not brilliant football but some serious effort led by Schlupp.He has shown some of the others what it takes and well done.

Might just get himself a trip to Manchester at this rate.Pity we are at the back end of the season and Np has finally realised he may be an option

Showed more positive moment than any of the other forwards (other than Nugent for Birmingham) but his lack of composure was awful.

Promising display from him but it's the one stage of the season we can't afford it.

Of all our strikers that played last night only one scored, and only one looked like he wanted to score.... well done schlupp... good goal :appl:

Only one was played up front and only one missed at least 2 chances my dog could've scored. Well done Schlupp :appl:

I was sat behind the goal we attacked first half. Had a complete dickhead season ticket holder behind me (so they're not all perfect, ahem). He was slagging off Wood all first half completely ignoring the fact he was being randomly played out wide and was bringing down everything that went near him. I thought Wood was quite positive.

On the subject of Schlupp, 2nd half he seemed a little brighter and more involved but doesn't appear capable of beating a man or using any sort of skill or shooting ability. His first half performance was one of the worst I have ever witnessed from a City player - every touch dreadful and basically no footballing ability or brain on display.

I've been desperate for Jeff to make it but on the basis of last night, get rid (harsh, but true).

For a young man who's been pissed about more than most this season he scored the goal that should have won us the game and had the second closest thing to a goal with a rising shot that hit the bar. He also had another great chance in the first half too making him by far our most dangerous forward - the next being midfielder Andy King.

No Schlupp didn't play a faultless game any more than anyone else but he did pose a constant threat and he did have to be contained because he was the only one of our three strikers who looked like he might outrun, evade or out-think the opposition with his movement.

Are we talking about the same Schlupp here???

I'm staggered at the criticism he's getting. He's young, he's been messed about all season and shown no faith from his manager, played out of position, loaned out, had dross played ahead of him, and yet still he scored and hit the post, and was our main threat.

Schlupp is not the scapegoat for useless Nigel's shortcomings.

Schlupp looked a big threat for usFriday night. The only player that honestly looked capable of doing something upfront. Nuge looked a little all over the shop. Wood did well in parts holding the ball up well especially but went missing in other parts of the game. Schlupp ran their defence all over, consistently on the shoulder of the defenders, his pace is scary. Yes he had two really good opportunities to score a couple more and the half chance where he hit the bar,his shooting needs improving but he was by far the most threatening attacker we had and I'd love to see how many yards he ran all game, reminded me of tevez how much energy he put into closing down opposition and running for the ball. Really encouraging performance. He is one of those players that can, yes, frustrate but he can make an impact on the game. There's a reason why united were looking at him and probably still are!

Archived