Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Was Schlupp's Performance Really Positive?

I think as long as you keep getting in the right positions to get the chances in the first place you're half-way there as a striker.

People used to slam Andy Cole for needing 5 chances to score, but his movement was so good that more often than not he'd get those 5 chances in a game. And it's not just because he was playing for Manchester United either, he scored a hatful in a newly promoted Newcastle side.

I see a lot of similar qualities in young Jeff, and with promotion looking like a pipe dream, we must use the next 4 games to give him a proper run up front.

I thought he played well,others around me were groaning about him...anyone remember a certain Gary Lineker...he was the same as a kid snatching at his chances but we all saw the potential,and what i liked best about Jeff is that even though he wasted those chances it did not put him off,he carried on shooting.. as we saw with the shot off the bar and his goal.

I had a feeling there would be a negative post about the lad,yet whoever thinks this should look at the positives,raw pace,takes on a beats players,work rate is outstanding,finding space to get in good goalscoring positions...and he will get better,so come on give the lad the support he needs.

Looked crap for the most part, again I'm still waiting to see what all the fuss is about. And I'm still waiting to see this lightning pace people say he has. To his credit he worked his nuts off though.

I don't think it is lightning pace - i think it's lightning acceleration .... he goes from standing to a sprint so quickly it gets him a yard or two on his marker.

Off topic, but anyone criticising Wood's touch should surely have changed their mind last night?? His control several times bringing a ball down from over his shoulder showed he has a great touch.

Winger in the making! Ha

Yes he missed chances, but he created them all himself with his pace and superb timing of runs. With experience the finishing will come. You don't always have to victimise a player you know?

And you don't have to make them out to be better than they were, he wasn't very good!

Off topic, but anyone criticising Wood's touch should surely have changed their mind last night?? His control several times bringing a ball down from over his shoulder showed he has a great touch.

Totally agree, although I never doubted it/him myself.

Brought it down a couple of times on his chest, and also controlled the ball dead when it come over the top of his head.

Totally agree, although I never doubted it/him myself.

Brought it down a couple of times on his chest, and also controlled the ball dead when it come over the top of his head.

I've never thought he had a bad touch either, but equally never considered that he had good feet ..... but last night i thought he showed lovely control and some nice touches and skill for a big lad. I read a post criticising him for chesting everything earlier - like he can do anything about the pass that comes to him!

I thought he played well,others around me were groaning about him...anyone remember a certain Gary Lineker...he was the same as a kid snatching at his chances but we all saw the potential,and what i liked best about Jeff is that even though he wasted those chances it did not put him off,he carried on shooting.. as we saw with the shot off the bar and his goal.

I had a feeling there would be a negative post about the lad,yet whoever thinks this should look at the positives,raw pace,takes on a beats players,work rate is outstanding,finding space to get in good goalscoring positions...and he will get better,so come on give the lad the support he needs.

Exactly what i said to my mate last night!

Lineker missed plenty of chances, but he never stopped getting into positions where he had the chance to miss them, something Schlupp done last night.

I`m not for one minute saying he is the next Gary Lineker, but i do think some of the criticism of a young lad, who has only played 2 games up front for us this season, both up top as lone striker, which can be a thankless task on its own, is a tad harsh.

Wood, Nugent, Vardy and Waghorn have all missed chances this season, they`re strikers, it comes with the territory.

It`s how you respond that is important, and Schlupp never let his head drop, kept getting into those positions, where he had a chance and was finally rewarded with a goal, and that was very encouraging, most probably for Man utd, which is where he will probably be next season.

It wasn't a polished performance. His first touch let him down at times and he missed a couple of good chances.

However, you have to look at the bigger picture. Wood and Nugent have been totally ineffective for weeks, whereas last night Schlupp was a threat throughout. His pace allowed is to play it in behind at times and he still did some good link up play. I'd sooner have a young rough around the edges striker up front who's a threat to defences, than a striker who's confidence is at rock bottom.

I think as long as you keep getting in the right positions to get the chances in the first place you're half-way there as a striker.

People used to slam Andy Cole for needing 5 chances to score, but his movement was so good that more often than not he'd get those 5 chances in a game. And it's not just because he was playing for Manchester United either, he scored a hatful in a newly promoted Newcastle side.

I see a lot of similar qualities in young Jeff, and with promotion looking like a pipe dream, we must use the next 4 games to give him a proper run up front.

A newly promoted side . :D

That's hardly the most relevant fact about that Newcastle side. They finished third in the league because they were bloody good. And the way Keegan had them playing they were creating hatfuls of chances.

I agree that we may as well give him a go now but I think we'd have seen more from him by now if he was going to turn out to be anything more than an average second tier forward. His touch was poor last night and I don't see where these claims about pace come from. He isn't slow or anything, but there's nothing to suggest he is quick enough to beat men and get behind defences with any regularity. His finishing isn't very good either but that can be worked on.

His shooting is probably as bad as MDV or Akinibiyi. Awful. He kind of reminds me of Trevor Benjamin.

The fact we have a player like Knockaert on the bench and Nugent starting is baffling. Knocky would have been great in that role last night. I can't understand Pearson anymore.

A newly promoted side . :D

That's hardly the most relevant fact about that Newcastle side. They finished third in the league because they were bloody good. And the way Keegan had them playing they were creating hatfuls of chances.

I agree that we may as well give him a go now but I think we'd have seen more from him by now if he was going to turn out to be anything more than an average second tier forward. His touch was poor last night and I don't see where these claims about pace come from. He isn't slow or anything, but there's nothing to suggest he is quick enough to beat men and get behind defences with any regularity. His finishing isn't very good either but that can be worked on.

And because Cole scored 34 league goals. Because Cole was getting in the right positions.

And because Cole scored 34 league goals. Because Cole was getting in the right positions.

They went on to finish second the season he left. And the season after. They were fine without him. Anyway, I rated Cole and always thought the 'needs x chances' stuff was a bit of a myth. He had good touch and was an excellent finisher. Schlupp has a poor first touch which and not a great finsher. The latter can be worked on to some extent. The problem of not being able to control a ball will remain though.

Archived