Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Happy Clapping

Or we could try and generate some positive vibes and get behind the team for the last 4 games. If you're unhappy with Pearson, support him to the end of the season and if we don't go up, he's gone.

Tried to see it the Nige way earlier in the season but he returned to form- we still want Leicester to win you know, just can't see how this guy can do it

I'm sorry guys and girls. Let me define 'happy clappers' as I see it.

Those people who, despite evidence to the contrary (eg stats, tactics, signings, their own observations) are unwilling even to enter into a meaningful debate on whether or not the manager, the team is currently letting us all down.

Those that appear to think that daring to criticise the manager (in this case) renders one 'disloyal' to the club and to the cause.

They will 'support' whatever, and by so doing, attempt to dumb down those who they feel aren't 'supporting' in this way. Criticism of the manager therefore becomes synonymous with 'not getting behind the boys' so to speak.

If there are no 'happy clappers' on this forum then I do apologise. But I suspect there are?

I've seen this on the forum particularly since the Sven days actually. Although it was obvious we weren't meeting expectation, many still lauded him and heavily criticised any murmurings of discontent.

This season, some of us saw the frailties starting earlier than others, and mentioned them. And were generally hit with criticism for bringing them up.

Personally, I'm very upset with Pearson. I thought he was going to bring us great things with the time and money given to him. As it is, it's Hull who now sit sixth points clear of the side in third.

We could still make it but its looking pretty unlikely now (does that again make me negative and, thus, not a real fan?).

Tried to see it the Nige way earlier in the season but he returned to form- we still want Leicester to win you know, just can't see how this guy can do it

It's not inconceivable. We've had two 5 game winning streaks, replicate that form and we're in the play-offs.

Stranger things have happened, like this fvcking run for example.

It's not inconceivable. We've had two 5 game winning streaks, replicate that form and we're in the play-offs.

Stranger things have happened, like this fvcking run for example.

No, not inconceivable but we are playing the leagues form team on Tuesday - slightly far fetched though for a win

The way I see it is, how can anybody stand by this current form, I really don't how anybody can defend this kind of form, we were top two not so long ago, and now we are 8th staring down the barrel of missing out on the play-offs, after such hard work and good football for a good majority of the season, to mess it up late on is sickening.

Because by definition, 'form' changes. You said it yourself, not long ago we were 2nd. We can play consistent football cable of getting us promoted, we just need to do it for longer.

Those people who, despite evidence to the contrary (eg stats, tactics, signings, their own observations) are unwilling even to enter into a meaningful debate on whether or not the manager, the team is currently letting us all down.

Those that appear to think that daring to criticise the manager (in this case) renders one 'disloyal' to the club and to the cause.

They will 'support' whatever, and by so doing, attempt to dumb down those who they feel aren't 'supporting' in this way. Criticism of the manager therefore becomes synonymous with 'not getting behind the boys' so to speak.

If there are no 'happy clappers' on this forum then I do apologise. But I suspect there are?

I've seen this on the forum particularly since the Sven days actually. Although it was obvious we weren't meeting expectation, many still lauded him and heavily criticised any murmurings of discontent.

This season, some of us saw the frailties starting earlier than others, and mentioned them. And were generally hit with criticism for bringing them up.

Personally, I'm very upset with Pearson. I thought he was going to bring us great things with the time and money given to him. As it is, it's Hull who now sit sixth points clear of the side in third.

We could still make it but its looking pretty unlikely now (does that again make me negative and, thus, not a real fan?).

lol

Youre ridiculous

walked out on us???

He was pushed out...What owner would give the manager the right to discuss a contract with another club if they wanted them to stay???

And as for saying he failed at hull....

He signed chester, hobbs, fryatt, koren, evans, who are all key players for them, and chester, evans and koren have been pretty much selected in their first 11 all season.

Pearson was signed by hull to clear out all the deadwood, he did this and left hull in the top 2 before he rejoined us.. to suggest he failed is an absolute joke.

I have no problem with people saying NP out....but at least have valid reasons, and the suggestion of a suitable replacement.

Who could we get?

Warnock - no better

Hughes - wastes money and would not suit us

keane - hell no

O'Neill - doubtful he would come back, and doubt he would even do a better job

mcleish - lol

Di matteo - From champions league to championship? imagination is a wonderful thing.

curbishley - will need at least a season to get back into the swing of things.

Powell - Wouldn't leave charlton.

If we were gonna get rid of him, we should have brought in Adkins or Mcdermott. There is no one out there who would consider joining us who is actually better than NP

Warnock no better ? he has about 3 or 4 promotions out of this league with different clubs how is he no better ? just because he is a horrible little man don't try to rewrite history.

But you said at the start of the season that you thought we'd finish seventh didn't you, thus reaching your expectations at the moment? I know expectations change through the season but surely taking the bigger picture he has done exactly what you thought initially?

Granted, when bringing in the fall from grace etc then that changes things and you can understand the disappointment.

Still, the point stands. In your eyes aren't we performing to expectations?

But you said at the start of the season that you thought we'd finish seventh didn't you, thus reaching your expectations at the moment? I know expectations change through the season but surely taking the bigger picture he has done exactly what you thought initially?

Granted, when bringing in the fall from grace etc then that changes things and you can understand the disappointment.

We're 8th

Absolutely mate. I said 7th and stick by it.

However, I never thought we could go on a run like this under Nigel Pearson. Not for one minute.

Position wise - bang on, performance wise - miles off. If that makes sense.

I thought Pearson would be able to turn it around, but he hasn't been able to. If we don't make the play-offs I think he has to go. I've defended him to friends for a while, I wouldn't say I'm a happy clapper but don't see the point in just changing managers every time we hit a bad patch - he deserved his chance to turn it round but hasn't been able to. Even if we make the play-offs I've never thought this team would make it because they can't handle any adversity/pressure - which, I thought Pearson would put right with a loan signing, but he didn't.

For the entire season when we've been good we've been really good, but when we've been bad we've been really bad - he hasn't been able to inspire the team to turn it round. Even when we were on a good run, we always looked shaky at the back like we were going to concede at the end of games and I never fancied us to score a late winner.

People will blame the players and in part they are right, but its his job to inspire them or sign experienced players to motivate them on the pitch - Morgan is the only one and look how we played without him at Barnsley - you need more than one of this type of player in our position. We've been dying for a bit of experience in the middle of the park - or at the very least a different sort of midfielder because our current three/four are all too similar - but he hasn't fixed it. I don't know if its stubbornness or a tactical shortcoming.

He's subs don't help either, they're always reactive - never pro-active. Yesterday, it was obvious when the 2nd half started and they gained momentum Wood defensively was unsure - you could see him keep looking at the player on the wing unsure of what to do, where to stand, etc. I could see it, people around me could see, Pearson should have seen he was struggling and just swapped Schlupp and Wood around to protect the lead.

So many times this year I've sat in the stand and you can see we're struggling and we need to make a change. And Pearson never does, or he makes a like for like sub. Like why bring Kane on late yesterday, maybe bring on Knockeart just to help the midfield out - there are countless examples.

We need a manger that can handle the bad times as well as the good and I'm not sure Pearson can do that, but I hope I'm wrong.

Vacamion, on 13 April 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

• Clubs that change managers every time the going gets tough tend to fail. Look at Blackburn.

Not strictly true. See Real / Chelsea / Spurs etc. vs. Wigan / Crewe etc.

Yeah, because we can really compare our situation in the 2nd tier with THOSE clubs. :rolleyes: I think the more apposite examples are Blackburn, Wolves, Birmingham City and perhaps us the year we were relegated. Therefore, I reject your response on this point.

• If we sack NFP now, we'll get a reputation as a revolving door club with trigger happy management. Any quality manager would be reluctant to become part of that.

He's had the best part of two seasons! That's over the average modern day managerial tenure!

Last season he inherited a team he had to sort out, so he has not yet had one full season at the helm, yet you want to be rid of him. Why should there be an "expiry" date?

• There is no-one else currently available that I would consider an improvement (spare me the rubbish about MON coming back, it aint gonna happen).

Well O'Neill will probably have to take a job in the second tier now, so no it's not that unthinkable. As for managers who have previously won promotion from this league, there's Curbishley, Di Matteo, Keane etc. all among the names mentioned. I'm not a fan of all of them, but they have one major advantage over NP on their CVs.

O'Neill isn't coming back. Accept that we had some great times with him which ended 13 years ago and move on. If you think Di Matteo, who let's remember won the Champions League last year, is coming anywhere near Leicester, I think we should end the discussion now. Curbishley? - an improvement on Nigel? I think that's debateable, he has been out of the management game for several years. Keane? One successful stint as a Championship manager. Several unsuccessful stints elsewhere. I think the "unhappy clappers" would be calling for his head by the end of September.

• We should have won the last two games. There are other games we should have won earlier this season and didn't.

And plenty we shouldn't have won but did, see Middlesbrough / Wolves.

My point was that with another 9-12 points that we could easily have gathered this season, the criticism might not have been so vocal. It could all have been so different.

• We are definitely in a poor run but we are not being thrashed 4-0 and 5-0. As disappointing as the draw was yesterday, we weren't abject.

It was unspectacular to say the least. And the fact that our long run of poor results has been a long run of miserable draws and narrow defeats doesn't deflect from it being one of the worst runs in our club's history.

And yet, we are still above the positions were were finishing in during the years prior to relegation. I concede entirely that the current run is gutting and the season so far is disappointing, given our position at the turn of the year, but we are doing about as well as a lot of people said we would before he season began. I'm not convinced that this is good enough reason to sack the manager.

• From the little that I was able to see, we looked brilliant when it all came together in the winning runs.

Sides generally do look good when they are winning. We beat Sheffield United 4-2 in 2005 and everyone loved Craig Levein for a day.

For several matches, we looked like we were winning, and outplaying, every team we faced. Levein never made me feel the way about City that our form during the winning streak made me feel

• Nigel Pearson has built a team which appears to be young and is developing, so I'm not sure that starting again from scratch is the right idea.

Developing? How have Marshall, Knockaert, Vardy, Futacs and Drinkwater developed? And what about Schlupp, who he's desperate to get rid of?

They are not the finished product. I think they can get better. I think that the improvement will be easier with a manager and a system they are familar with.

• The desire to change the manager is symptomatic of an "I want it all, I want it now" culture that doesn't appreciate that if you want something, sometimes it takes time, patience and hard work. I genuinely get the feeling that some of our supporters are, well, a bit spoilt.

Our supporters spoilt?! What, with the past nine years we've had of quality football and value for money? Yes, after the worst period in our club's entire history I'm sure we're spoilt.

You missed my point. I wasn't saying that Leicester fans have been spoilt by the performances and results in the years since 2000. Far from it. I am saying that they are acting in a spoilt way by demanding immediate success, in a manner which suggests that they don't appreciate that in many areas of life, you have to work long and hard to achive the results you desire.

Because by definition, 'form' changes. You said it yourself, not long ago we were 2nd. We can play consistent football cable of getting us promoted, we just need to do it for longer.

It's too little too late now.

We have four games left, realistically how many points do you think we will get from those games, I reckon potentially 1.

If he sticks by his 4-3-3, playing an off form Drinkwater, and putting Wood and Nugent out wide, I'm pretty sure we won't win another game.

The system doesn't work, Nugent and Wood are strikers, they have scored their goals playing as centre forwards, not wingers, or wing forwards or whatever you want to call it.

Leaving Schlupp to play up against Davies for about 70 minutes of yesterdays game, was a ridiculous decision, and I really don't know how fans can defend that tactic.

lol

You call yourself 'SpazticChicken' and say I'M ridiculous!

lol

When did I make out that Im not, it just shows you up when your opinion looks stupid compaired to mine :)

Youve started that paragraph leading on that youve made a mistake trying to label a large proportion of our support a dissmisive term, and you then proceed to carry on pushing a divide of opinion in quite an agressive and offensive way; we all support the same club, you shouldnt be pushing divides.

Just get cosy and enjoy the rest of the show . . . . . You never know

Absolutely mate. I said 7th and stick by it.

However, I never thought we could go on a run like this under Nigel Pearson. Not for one minute.

Position wise - bang on, performance wise - miles off. If that makes sense.

Yeah I understand that. And it's always conceivable a manager can be sacked on performance alone.

Too average 3 points a game from here on now would be quite simply mind blowing it isn't going to happen. Automatic promotion form which is 2 points a game would see us on 69 points which may not be enough to make 6th place based on past seasons but this season I reckon it could be enough.

To be certain off the playoffs we have win 3 games out of the 4 remaining.

It's a lot easier to be negative than positive. As soon as things go wrong, you can claim the moral high ground and point out what a genius you are. If that's important to you, then great, well done. I'm not aiming that at anyone in particular by the way, it's just a general tone from a few.

I'm naturally negative towards our club. I think you almost have to be in this division. So many teams are so similar that the odds are there will be a few clubs better than you because the results are so random. Not to wheel out the "anyone can beat anyone else" cliche, it's more that there are lots of almost inexplicable results or crazy events like last night where 99% of the time, you see that game out.

The problem with this division is that you can't expect to spend loads and automatically succeed. It's not the right division to try it in and, to be honest, if you gave me a choice of owners racking up debt in pursuit of success or building slowly for the future with young players, I know what I would choose. We have managed to do both, one after the other, creating a sense of entitlement among fans and huge pressure to succeed with a broadly inexperienced squad, many of whom are still learning how to play alongside one another.

It depends whether you want to choose someone, stick to them and keep faith in them. If we hadn't gone on this run, had finished fourth and lost in the play-offs, I'd be the first one to say Pearson should stay. As it is, this run has made his position seem almost untenable. I'm not revelling in that like some seem to be. I think it's quite sad actually and things will probably get worse before they get better. You look at the parachute payments situation now, the nature of the division and the pressure to go up because of our financial situation and it just seems a shame we haven't made the most of our position at the start of February.

I do think we need to play a different style of football to what we've seen lately. Whether that's through Pearson returning to how we played earlier in the season or bringing in a manager who is more known for that side of things, I don't know and don't really care.

My main concern would be whether the players rate Pearson or not because he brought most of them to the club. Despite all the people on here slagging off everyone left, right and centre and saying all the players are shit, I still think this is a very talented squad. Perhaps someone can come in and build on the foundations in the same way Bruce has at Hull, who knows?

The thing is, you could bring someone in, they could start like Sousa did and then we're back to square one.

I don't think there's any "perfect" manager out there who could guarantee success. It's not that kind of division. It just depends what the long term goal is as well as the obvious short term one, and what is the plan if we do this every season, which is entirely possible.

Archived