Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GingerrrFox

The quality of the Championship?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2320277/The-Footballers-Football-Column--Don-Goodman-Brighton-tip-Championship-play-offs.html

In terms of what lies ahead for the three teams that do go up next season, I think it will be very tough in the Premier League. In terms of quality the Championship is as poor as it has been for a few years. I don’t like saying that as I am a champion of Championship clubs who get promoted. I want them to do well and go on and survive and build year on year. 

Southampton and West Ham look set to survive this season which is great, but I think they had a stronger base to build on than any of the three teams that will be promoted next season. So I do fear the worst.

Don Goodman thinks the Championship is currently at it's weakest for a few years. Personally I felt the reason the League was so competitive this season (excluding Cardiff) was because a lot of the teams were on par and had a good solid base of players. Hull, Brighton, Palace, Watford, Leicester and Bolton were all strong and the likes of Blackpool and Birmingham (who had a proper shit start to the season) just weren't consistent enough. 

Just me that thinks it's been quite strong?

I also think that outside manure the Prem has been weak this year, yes a high points tally required to survive, but that's more due to the inconsistency of majority of the teams, not the strength of the league so any team going up who gives it a go has the ability to survive, plus we do have Kasper which helps

I think that Don Goodman is an idiot. 

Some of the shite he comes out with when commentating. Main example...striker scores in the game 'This guy is a real clinical finisher' 'He is of a premier league quality' etc move on Don.

No, I'd say the standard of football has been better from most teams this year, hence why the league has been so tight. Hell, there were only 14 points between 6th and 22nd. Furthermore, I can only think of two teams to come to the KP and genuinely play very poorly this year, and they both got hammered, 6-0 and 6-1 respectively.

The standard across the board has improved. I'd still fancy our chances against any of the teams in the bottom half of the Prem right now, and I reckon we'd thrash the likes of QPR.

Don Goodman is an idiot, and will always be an idiot.

Pundits don't know anything, like Beagrie he is just as bad. 

The fact of the matter is, the majority of the people on this forum, could do a better job than them. 

I also think that outside manure the Prem has been weak this year, yes a high points tally required to survive, but that's more due to the inconsistency of majority of the teams, not the strength of the league so any team going up who gives it a go has the ability to survive, plus we do have Kasper which helps

Personally I agree with this. Some of the ****ing dross on show in the Premier League this season has been ridiculous. QPR, Stoke, Villa, Norwich, Sunderland and Reading would all struggle to get out of this league judging by their performances this season. Granted I've not watched every single one of their games but from looking at ESPN and Sky coverage from live games they have been abysmal. 

Don Goodman is a cvnt.

But the league has been very poor this season. How else would a team like Hull go up in the automatics and we go on a run of 3 wins in 17 and still make the play-offs?

The teams promoted in recent seasons have been far better than this. The Swansea who finished 3rd 2 seasons ago would have won this league at a canter.

There were no weak squads in the league this year. You look at some of the players Bristol City started the season with in midfield and attack, yet they were cut adrift at the bottom. Maybe there were no exceptional teams this year but in terms of individual ability; its by far the best I've seen.

Claridge keeps coming out with this rubbish as well. Surely just the fact that the clubs who go up are staying up these days more often than not proves at least something to the contrary? Wolves going straight down with a shed load of premier league players....Blackburn nearly doing the same. Yeah a real lack of quality, Don.

There were no weak squads in the league this year. You look at some of the players Bristol City started the season with in midfield and attack, yet they were cut adrift at the bottom. Maybe there were no exceptional teams this year but in terms of individual ability; its by far the best I've seen.

This and That.

I think its going through a transition phase where more teams are 'trying' to play football on the deck rather than hoofball in order to have a better chance of staying up. In the recent past the best hoofballing teams could get promoted with a couple of hulks up front.

That's bullshite, look at Bolton, Wolves and Blackburn, 3 teams that battled until the end last season in the Prem and look at them this year. With a bit of luck in the Prem, any of this years top 6 in the Championship could finish in the top 10 in the Prem ahead of the likes of Fulham, Stoke, Norwich, West Ham... etc

Don Goodman is a cvnt.

But the league has been very poor this season. How else would a team like Hull go up in the automatics and we go on a run of 3 wins in 17 and still make the play-offs?

The teams promoted in recent seasons have been far better than this. The Swansea who finished 3rd 2 seasons ago would have won this league at a canter.

That is the frustrating thing if we'd have had an average run rather than a terrible one we'd have gone up.

Don't believe that at all...Prior to the season starting, I personally thought at least 15 teams would challenge for the play offs. Most of the teams in this division do have a strong enough squad, Blackburn and Wolves are good examples.

The Championship has better competition than the Premier League.

I've heard the comment about us reaching the play-offs with the lowest number points, so what it's been good enough!!

Look at P'boro, did the double of Cardiff and got relegated.

At the end of the day it would have been a travesty had we not got to the play-offs and now we're here let's make 'em sit up and show 'em what we can do.

It might be a tight division with little between most teams, but I think all three teams who go up will need to invest heavily in their squad or change their style to survive, or flourish as some promoted sides have done.

Archived