Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

The Exams Thread

Didn't think this warranted a new thread but do we have anyone applying to uni this year on here? I decided to take a year out and reapply for a slightly different course when I didn't get my first choice last year. If you are, what are you applying for and where?

Didn't think this warranted a new thread but do we have anyone applying to uni this year on here? I decided to take a year out and reapply for a slightly different course when I didn't get my first choice last year. If you are, what are you applying for and where?

Yeah i'm applying for business management at manchester hopefully.

I'm applying for a primary teaching course at Bristol hopefully.

Is that university of bristol or UWE bristol? I considered applying for uni of bristol but didn't in the end. Hats off to you for primary education, not something I could do but I imagine something that can be quite rewarding

Is that university of bristol or UWE bristol? I considered applying for uni of bristol but didn't in the end. Hats off to you for primary education, not something I could do but I imagine something that can be quite rewarding

University of Bristol mate. I've always liked kids (I know how creepy that sounds!) so I can think of nothing better than primary teaching as a career. Bristol's a pretty nice place, and it's only 2/2.5 hours from the KP!! lol

What universities have you applied for/are going to apply for?? :)

University of Bristol mate. I've always liked kids (I know how creepy that sounds!) so I can think of nothing better than primary teaching as a career. Bristol's a pretty nice place, and it's only 2/2.5 hours from the KP!! lol

What universities have you applied for/are going to apply for?? :)

Bristol is a decent place to go and Bristol City are looking good for promotion :ph34r:

I applied for Kings College London, LSE, Oxford, UCL and Warwick, slightly different course at each but all based around economics and politics

Just reading this thread for the first time...

I took Economics at UCL although it was a long time ago (1999-2002).  One suggestion if you have your heart set on the place is to get into another course at UCL with less emphasis on the Maths, e.g. Economics & Philosophy or Economics & Geography.  They might let you in to those courses without the A* Maths but you'll still have a lot of options to choose your preferred modules.  

One thing I experienced at UCL is its quite easy to change courses once you are in.  I saw people changing between Arts and Sciences degrees and vice-versa after just a couple of months into fresher year, who wouldn't have otherwise made the grades for those courses.  

Of course, my experience was 10+ years ago but as a university it probably hasn't changed too much in that time, and generally I found UCL very accommodating and the departments well integrated once you are in.

Just reading this thread for the first time...

I took Economics at UCL although it was a long time ago (1999-2002). One suggestion if you have your heart set on the place is to get into another course at UCL with less emphasis on the Maths, e.g. Economics & Philosophy or Economics & Geography. They might let you in to those courses without the A* Maths but you'll still have a lot of options to choose your preferred modules.

One thing I experienced at UCL is its quite easy to change courses once you are in. I saw people changing between Arts and Sciences degrees and vice-versa after just a couple of months into fresher year, who wouldn't have otherwise made the grades for those courses.

Of course, my experience was 10+ years ago but as a university it probably hasn't changed too much in that time, and generally I found UCL very accommodating and the departments well integrated once you are in.

I have applied for UCL again this year but for Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) and its a new course for this year. The entry requirements for PPE are strange as its A*AA but at the end of the first year, youcan choose to drop one of the subjects. To do the Economics and Politics stream by dropping Philosophy, you're meant to have an A* in Maths. I'm not sure how they could enforce this as it's unfair if someone drcides their interests are in Economics and Politics after the first year but are prevented due to the lack of A* in Maths. Surely then you just end up with people doing Philosophy and Politcs when they don't want to. However it's encouraging that you say about how easy switching can be even when people didn't get the requirements for that course.

All courses involving Economics apart from History, Politics and Economics, require an A* in Maths now. I think they're trying to keep up with LSE this way and not just be people's second choice after LSE.

Looking back, I think not getting in has been a good thing. I enjoy Maths but I'm not sure I want to do the amount of Maths that is involved in a straight Economics degree at LSE and UCL, something I didn't realise before. I messed one unit of Maths up which cost me and I do wish I'd done Further Maths. My school didn't do great for Maths last year overall.

I realised my interest lay in Economics and Politics, I considered those courses last year but they weren't at unis I wanted to go to really. But I've researched it all a lot more this time around and now I understand more about ppe and the fact you can drop one of the three subjects at the end of the first year.

Plus the year out gives me the chance to save up some more money which will come in handy whilst at uni, especially in London.

I've made sure I'll definitely be happy to go to any of my choices this year but I'd be extra delighted by Oxford as well as LSE or UCL

Bristol is a decent place to go and Bristol City are looking good for promotion :ph34r:

I applied for Kings College London, LSE, Oxford, UCL and Warwick, slightly different course at each but all based around economics and politics

Sounds good mate, good luck with your applications, and come next season, us and Bristol will probably be in the same division again, so I may have to revert to supporting them... :ph34r:

• 4 months later...

I'm in my final year of Uni and I've only got one exam this summer, with the rest being coursework / final year project... result lol

Now this must be what it felt like to those that study BTEC :ph34r:

lol

I'm confident that I'll never sit another exam as long as I live.  :D

I'm also fairly confident that I'll never have another job interview as long as I live.  :thumbup:

I'm even more confident that I have a lot less long to live than most of you....  :o

• 1 month later...

Archived