Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

The Exams Thread

Geography is tomorrow :( got 24 case studies floating around my head I feel like I'm going mad, can't wait to get it over with

I know how you feel, my geography is in a few weeks. Good luck pal.

Dunno about others but I found exams/work in general much easier at uni than I did at a-levels, especially A2

Absolutely agree with this. I've just finished my last exam in my third year at uni and A-levels were a lot, lot more stressful for me.

I think in relations to exams I've found the Uni ones a little less stressful because my lecturers tell me the topics that will come up in a specific exam. Meaning unlike at A-level I didn't have to revise the whole module only for a few things to come up. 

I've had a busy month though, during April I had three coursework deadlines, my dissertation deadline, revision for an exam and preparation for an interview AND assessment day. Safe to say I was glad that month was over!

Absolutely agree with this. I've just finished my last exam in my third year at uni and A-levels were a lot, lot more stressful for me.

I think in relations to exams I've found the Uni ones a little less stressful because my lecturers tell me the topics that will come up in a specific exam. Meaning unlike at A-level I didn't have to revise the whole module only for a few things to come up. 

I've had a busy month though, during April I had three coursework deadlines, my dissertation deadline, revision for an exam and preparation for an interview AND assessment day. Safe to say I was glad that month was over!

Bit of a mixed bag for me. In certain modules lecturers would more or less 'hint' which topics we should prepare for. Other modules had exams that were set in a way such that there were no short-cuts. In other words there was no point in working out you could get away with revising pretty much half the topics because they all contributed to knowledge in the area. Plus in many of my exams I needed to prepare a number of case study examples. 

In terms of whether A Levels or University exams brought me more stress, it's a difficult one. I did an A Level in straight Statistics which required a good memory of using a number of different formulas and you either knew them or you didn't, and sometimes you'd get awkwardly posed questions that were the cause of a lot of stress. My university exams were all essay based so I suppose in a sense they were more 'blaggable', especially once I got to grips with how to sound like a marketing person.

However I think what made University exams more stressful was having had 6 different module areas, each with around 10 more specific 'topics', each of which would require 4 or 5 readings in order to be adequately prepared to answer an exam question well enough. All of this in the context of a vastly unorganised, alcohol infused life and the pressure to achieve a 2:1 in my subject area for jobs in the media/advertising industry.

What I do know is that from GCSEs right through to University, I bloody hated exams and I am delighted to have graduated Lancaster University with a 2:1. Hopefully I'll never have to do an exam again in my life!

Good luck to all those taking exams. Painful though it is, I already wish I was back at University a year after finishing.

I think for me a lot of it's down to the fact that I enjoy most of the stuff I'm studying at uni. I'm terrible at doing work for anything that doesn't engage me. Trying to engage with the themes of a Jane Austen novel just never got me going and as such I didn't do as much work as I probably should have.

Whereas now I'm studying something that I find interesting and I find reading enjoyable more than work so get less stressed out about exams.

AS Levels start next Monday for me.

Good luck to all.

Too late for advice now but make sure you do really well, they are much easier than A2 and can carry you through for your overall grade if you don't do as well at A2 (or turn 18 and start going out drinking and subsequently don't do very well :whistle:)

In hindsight though I still wouldn't change sixth form, loved it especially the going out when I was old enough too, even on a Thursday lol

• 2 weeks later...

I had an exam on Monday (first year at Uni) for a module I just completely binned all year and opened the exam paper, and predictably, had no idea what the questions were on about.

Had to do a 3 page essay on the Euro's success or failure.

My argument was, in summary: Well, cos of Greece and that its shit, right??

Delighted by yesterday's exam questions, it seems as though the questions were on more or less exactly what I'd delivered to 'em.

A week of coursework submission and exam stress has a positive conclusion, few things better than seeing students come out of an exam grinning. :)

Being on the other end and setting the exams is great fun.

How can we punish this group of students!

If you wrote the WJEC English Literature AS Level paper, you're an absolute champ.

Archived