Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

The Exams Thread

If you wrote the WJEC English Literature AS Level paper, you're an absolute champ.

Do you teach Lang Lit as well? The sound analysis that WJEC require is shit.

Do you teach Lang Lit as well? The sound analysis that WJEC require is shit.

No, just Literature.

I personally prefer dealing with AQA. 

Delighted by yesterday's exam questions, it seems as though the questions were on more or less exactly what I'd delivered to 'em.

A week of coursework submission and exam stress has a positive conclusion, few things better than seeing students come out of an exam grinning. :)

As a teacher do you feel it is more important to teach your students how to pass the exam and so if you receive intelligence of what the questions will be to just focus on that or to teach the topic as a whole and hope what they retain comes up on the exam?

I ask because when I did history A Level it was on the English Civil War and I really enjoyed the topic, felt like I knew about it but got a U in the exam. In hindsight, I should have appealed and had it remarked because I have never come out of an exam feeling as confident as I did and then failing it! Fortunately I did well in the other aspects of it and had a high AS grade to still get a C overall (I didn't appeal because I still got into Uni and it made no difference at the time)

Whereas some modules at Uni it has been drilled into us what will be on the exam paper and what areas to revise in, I took note of it and scored 82% in the exam but it feels like I don't know anything about the module and would struggle to verbally answer questions in say an interview on it.

I find history is 90% exam technique, you could have a pretty dreadful argument but as long as you compared sources/factors nd linked it back to the question you'd get the marks.

All exams are exam technique really. So long as you put down what the mark scheme requires you get the grade. Surprised there are still all these exam boards, thought the Cons were going to scrap them and replace with just the 1? Always seemed odd how there are about 5 exam boards competing to set the easiest exam.

As a teacher do you feel it is more important to teach your students how to pass the exam and so if you receive intelligence of what the questions will be to just focus on that or to teach the topic as a whole and hope what they retain comes up on the exam?

I ask because when I did history A Level it was on the English Civil War and I really enjoyed the topic, felt like I knew about it but got a U in the exam. In hindsight, I should have appealed and had it remarked because I have never come out of an exam feeling as confident as I did and then failing it! Fortunately I did well in the other aspects of it and had a high AS grade to still get a C overall (I didn't appeal because I still got into Uni and it made no difference at the time)

Whereas some modules at Uni it has been drilled into us what will be on the exam paper and what areas to revise in, I took note of it and scored 82% in the exam but it feels like I don't know anything about the module and would struggle to verbally answer questions in say an interview on it.

We don't have any idea of what will be in the paper as such, but we know what won't be by looking at past papers. The questions are always much of a muchness in terms of format, it's just the themes around which the questions will be based that change. We usually work on exam technique as well, that's always pretty critical.

9 down 9 to go.

As an aside, I'm stuck between Politics and Philosophy for A level, any recommendations or advice?

Both solid subjects. At the end of the day, which one do you see being more useful to YOU? Apparently Politics is slightly harder work than Philosophy, but then again my mates can be lazy s***s so you may want to take that with a pinch of salt!

Just finished my second year uni exams in History with French,

Was a fairly painless process, many of the questions are just rehashed from previous years so revising past papers is essential!

The french exam was hard, languages are much more difficult than I ever imagined and even after doing it for a year and a half it still constantly confuses me, I have to give people who can speak a number of languages credit it's a skill I would love to have.

To anyone still taking them just keep going, think about all the free time you'll have after, exams are a pain but there shouldn't be anything you don't know

Archived