Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tyneside fox

Are we even realistic contenders for promotion next season?

What makes you believe we're better than Reading, they got promoted a season back, we have just failed.

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

I'm all for positivity but???

I know, it is quite a big statement to make from me.

But I look at QPR and think they're a mess. Unless their squad is dealt with very effectively I don't see how they could finish ahead of us this season. Their wages, FFP, players who don't want to play in the Championship. They appear to be in a bad position.

Wigan I feel will lose players, if they manage to hold onto them then I'd retract my comment about us being better.

Reading I'm not sure about, again I imagine they're going to have a little sorting out to do but they do seem fairly stable. I get the impression they got promoted on team spirit  allowing them to win several games in a row rather than real quality. Now I know that sounds odd, they won 10 in a row, how can they not be good? But I think it showed in the PL when they constantly came up short.

I'd refer you to this season's relegated teams where only one came close due to good management. The others were unstable (e.g. Wigan and QPR). I'll say Reading will be in the top eight.

A mate of my milkman works in the catering dept at LCFC , and he swears blind that there was a big secret meeting about two weeks ago. Right. She was serving coffees at the end of the meeting, and she heard Top whisper to one of the other Directors that a bloke called "Neil or something Pearson" will be in charge next season. She only caught the last name.

Not claiming that i'm ITK or anything, but there are rumours that there was then an article in the Leicester Mercury newspaper clearly stating that Pearson will be in charge for the first game.

Co-incidence?

Don't blame me if this turns out to be another bunch of made up bollocks, just sharing what I have been told.

A mate of my milkman works in the catering dept at LCFC , and he swears blind that there was a big secret meeting about two weeks ago. Right. She was serving coffees at the end of the meeting, and she heard Top whisper to one of the other Directors that a bloke called "Neil or something Pearson" will be in charge next season. She only caught the last name.

Not claiming that i'm ITK or anything, but there are rumours that there was then an article in the Leicester Mercury newspaper clearly stating that Pearson will be in charge for the first game.

Co-incidence?

Don't blame me if this turns out to be another bunch of made up bollocks, just sharing what I have been told.

lol

I'm surprised we haven't had a rumour from Pearson's dog on here as yet.

How on earth can anyone make any sort of realistic prediction at this point in time? It's a long summer, the season has only just finished.

This PLUS anyone who has paid attention to the last season will realise that practically any team in the top 15, with the right breaks, could have made a push for promotion.

QPR players barely had a fight in them in the Premier League, even under a supposed great man-manager in Redknapp.

Can't see those players getting fired up for a midweek trip to Yeovil or Bournemouth. They need a serious overhaul.

I know, it is quite a big statement to make from me.

But I look at QPR and think they're a mess. Unless their squad is dealt with very effectively I don't see how they could finish ahead of us this season. Their wages, FFP, players who don't want to play in the Championship. They appear to be in a bad position.

Have a feeling FFP doesn't apply to relegated sides...

Have a feeling FFP doesn't apply to relegated sides...

It's not that FFP doesn't apply - it's that they have £100m or whatever it is in balloon payments from the premier league - so they are going to be living well within their means quiet easily as long as their player contracts allow for a wage reduction of relegated.

Got to fancy all the sides that have come down from the prem this season. Qpr will romp the league, Bolton will be up there too. We will do well to finish top six next season we may even suffer a points deduction due to the FFP implications or even a transfer embargo worrying times ahead I fear.

Guest MattP

I really don't see QPR, Wigan or Reading as certainties for promotion. I think we have at least the same chance next season as the one just past. 

I agree. Birmingham have shown how gard Wigan will have it. 46 games and two cups is long enough without numerous Europa League games and flights added into it.

Reading are poor and that hasn't changed and if QPR's players couldn't be bothered to fight in the Premier League I don't see them doing it down here, they could even do a Wolves with a bad start.

Are we contenders, well Mr Pearson has finished in the top 6 every full season he has had here so if he is still in the seat definitely as you would expect us to be in the play offs at least. If we change again who knows? Anything could happen.

Out of the 3 relegated sides, I see Reading as the biggest threat.

I can't see redknapp in charge of QPR come first game of the season.

Wigan will be a threat if they can keep hold of key players.

Unlike the last 4 years or so, none of the promoted teams are likely to be a concern.

With that said and It being the championship, everything I have just written will be completely wrong. Get your money on Yeovil for a top 6 finish.

I'm a bit lost here..

How can anyone have the faintest clue regarding who's gonna be strong next season and who ain't?

The squads, I'd imagine, will change quite radically during the summer, particularly the likes of QPR.

Ask us again about a fortnight before the season starts...

lol

I agree. Birmingham have shown how gard Wigan will have it. 46 games and two cups is long enough without numerous Europa League games and flights added into it.

Reading are poor and that hasn't changed and if QPR's players couldn't be bothered to fight in the Premier League I don't see them doing it down here, they could even do a Wolves with a bad start.

Are we contenders, well Mr Pearson has finished in the top 6 every full season he has had here so if he is still in the seat definitely as you would expect us to be in the play offs at least. If we change again who knows? Anything could happen.

in every 2 of them? yep. it doesn't sound right.

I'm a bit lost here..

How can anyone have the faintest clue regarding who's gonna be strong next season and who ain't?

The squads, I'd imagine, will change quite radically during the summer, particularly the likes of QPR.

Ask us again about a fortnight before the season starts...

lol

I'd go one step further Col, ask us after the first 10 games next season when the league settles down a bit lol

Simple answer = yes.

How big favourites and whether its automatic or playoffs will be determined by the summer ahead but unless we completely dismantled the squad then we'll be in a good position to challenge.

Guest MattP

in every 2 of them? yep. it doesn't sound right.

And here was me thinking he had completed three full seasons now finishing 6th, 5th and 1st.

We are predicted 2nd by SkyBet.

I can't see us finishing lower than 6th unless there is a catastrophe over the summer. Nigel has never finished lower than a previous season before and we have no reason to make wholesale changes to the squad. Most of our players are more likely to improve than regress.

Possible play-off contenders at best me thinks.

Think this is about right. Unless some proven backbone, grit and that extra bit of quality are added, I think we can expect about the same as this season.

Could possibly be a bit lower as I don't think we would be fortunate enough to finish in the play offs again with less than 70 points.

Guest bss9401

After being found out Pearson's team played out the season with relegation form. Stay tight on the midfield and keep a steady line and Leicester will not break through. Next season the division will be equally as tight and I see no reason why Leicester can expect to be in the top six. More likely it will be mid table at best. I only hope that Pearson will find a way to get the strikers scoring again otherwise it will be a relegation scrap as the players have shown that they struggle to come back when on the back foot. 

Archived