Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

There's not enough information on that survey for it to be useful.

Ultimately the idea of reducing Road capacity to cater for cyclists is embarrassingly inept and normal people have every right to be furious that their needs have been cast aside to cater for such a tiny minority.

The reduction of road capacity across the UK is one of the most idiotic, illogical and counterproductive things I've ever witnessed. It's a disgrace.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not only a dump but fast becoming and out doing Notts as the murder/violent crime capital of the Midlands

Three people have been arrested following the death of a woman in Leicester.

The woman, who has not been named but is believed to be in her 50s, was found at a property in the city's Holmfield Avenue at 09:30 GMT.

Detectives are conducting house-to-house inquiries and approach roads have been closed while forensics teams examine the scene.

Those arrested are being held on suspicion of murder.

• 4 weeks later...

Breaking News

Mayor removes a bus lane!!!  Albeit just a short one.

Roadworks at busy Leicester city centre junction begin on Monday

By Leicester Mercury  |  Posted: January 10, 2016

11882814-large.jpg

Oxford Street, near Bonners Lane. Pic from Google Street View

Comments (1)

Work to improve traffic flow at a busy city centre junction will begin tomorrow (Monday).

A bus gate and short section of bus lane on Oxford Street, by Bonners Lane, are set to be removed to aid traffic flow ahead of the busy junction onto Southgates and Newarke Street.

Its removal will allow buses entering Newarke Street, and general traffic travelling on to Southgates, to move into the lane earlier, which will help congestion. The work will begin on Monday and will involve off-peak closures of the bus lane.

An additional lane closure will also be required on Sunday, January 24 to the small traffic island which marks the existing bus gate and complete the work. The work will not require bus stops to be moved.

City Mayor Peter Soulsby said: "This relatively minor change will help ease congestion at this junction during busy periods.

"It will allow drivers to get into lane much earlier, which will help improve the flow of traffic into the junction."

The work is part on a continuing review by the council's transport scrutiny commission into how improving the use of bus lanes can help address congestion across the city.

Overall cost for the work will be about £5,000.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Roadworks-busy-Leicester-city-centre-junction/story-28494571-detail/story.html#ixzz3wpyUnift 
Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

So now he's interested in improving traffic flow

Nope just the flow of buses they've obviously found that buses using that bus lane can't easily turn into  Newarke Street and then down Welford  Road as they have to cross 2 very congested lanes in a very short distance.

The fact that it will help motorists by giving them an extra lane is just a lucky coincidence for the motorist. I bet Soulsby was screwed up inside when he approved it.

The work is part on a continuing review by the council's transport scrutiny commission into how improving the use of bus lanes can help address congestion across the city.

• Like 1

Strippers fondled and sexually touched punters at Angels lap dancing club

By danjmartin  |  Posted: January 11, 2016

11905494-large.jpg

Angels

Comments (7)

A Leicester lap dancing club has been refused a licence because it strippers were touching and fondling punters in an intimate and sexual manner.

Angels, in New Park Street, off Braunstone Gate, could now face closure after having its application for a renewed sexual entertainment licence rejected by Leicester City Council.

Members of the council's licensing committee today made the ruling after viewing CCTV footage obtained by police during a raid on the club on December 5.

Council licensing team manager Bobby Smiljanic objected to the application made by Angels' director KN Leisure Ltd, during the hearing at City Hall.

Ms Smiljanic said she had accompanied the police when they executed a warrant at Angels on December 5.

The hearing was not told why the police raided Angels but they searched the premises and took a hard drive with CCTV recordings.

She said: "I was shown CCTV by the police which showed performers and members of the public clearly touching and fondling in an intimate and sexual manner."

City council rules - for all strip clubs - prevent any physical contact between the strippers and the customers.

She said the footage also showed strippers straddling customers - another forbidden practice.

Committee members watched footage before the public hearing began and then went into private session to watch more recordings at the request of solicitor Heath Thomas who represented the club.

Later council solicitor Katherine Jamieson summed up what had happened - pointing out said the club had described the sexual behaviour as "more of a blip than a persistent breach".

She said Ms Smiljanic said it was "typical behaviour."

The club was also judged to have breached a condition to carry out identity checks on its strippers to ensure they are legally entitled to work and aged 18 or over.

The hearing was told there were 19 performers working when the council inspected Angels on October 9 but the club management were unable to provide documentation.

Documents for ten of the 19 were later emailed to the council but no information has been provided for the other nine.

Mr Thomas said there were four rather than nine missing cases and that Angels director Krzysztof Neumann said the girls were working for the first time that night and had not consequently returned.

He said Mr Neumann was careful about where he kept documents after a previous burglary at the club.

He also said the police had taken some of the documents the council wanted.

The council also decided Angels had breached a condition requiring it to hold 28 days of CCTV recording.

The police found only 18 days on a hard drive.

Mr Thomas said the CCTV had "failed" on November 17, had been quickly replaced, but was otherwise compliant.

Committee chairman councillor John Thomas said: "The footage viewed by the committee left very little doubt the condition (no touching) had not been complied with at all and the committee refuses to believe these form a one-off incident."

After the hearing Mr Thomas said the club was considering appealing against the refusal at magistrates court.

It has 21 days to lodge an appeal and can stay open until then and until any such hearing concludes.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Lap-dancing-club-Angels-refused-licence-strippers/story-28503932-detail/story.html#ixzz3x24WuWVF 

Strippers fondled and sexually touched punters at Angels lap dancing club

By danjmartin  |  Posted: January 11, 2016

11905494-large.jpg

Angels

Comments (7)

A Leicester lap dancing club has been refused a licence because it strippers were touching and fondling punters in an intimate and sexual manner.

Angels, in New Park Street, off Braunstone Gate, could now face closure after having its application for a renewed sexual entertainment licence rejected by Leicester City Council.

Members of the council's licensing committee today made the ruling after viewing CCTV footage obtained by police during a raid on the club on December 5.

Council licensing team manager Bobby Smiljanic objected to the application made by Angels' director KN Leisure Ltd, during the hearing at City Hall.

Ms Smiljanic said she had accompanied the police when they executed a warrant at Angels on December 5.

The hearing was not told why the police raided Angels but they searched the premises and took a hard drive with CCTV recordings.

She said: "I was shown CCTV by the police which showed performers and members of the public clearly touching and fondling in an intimate and sexual manner."

City council rules - for all strip clubs - prevent any physical contact between the strippers and the customers.

She said the footage also showed strippers straddling customers - another forbidden practice.

Committee members watched footage before the public hearing began and then went into private session to watch more recordings at the request of solicitor Heath Thomas who represented the club.

Later council solicitor Katherine Jamieson summed up what had happened - pointing out said the club had described the sexual behaviour as "more of a blip than a persistent breach".

She said Ms Smiljanic said it was "typical behaviour."

The club was also judged to have breached a condition to carry out identity checks on its strippers to ensure they are legally entitled to work and aged 18 or over.

The hearing was told there were 19 performers working when the council inspected Angels on October 9 but the club management were unable to provide documentation.

Documents for ten of the 19 were later emailed to the council but no information has been provided for the other nine.

Mr Thomas said there were four rather than nine missing cases and that Angels director Krzysztof Neumann said the girls were working for the first time that night and had not consequently returned.

He said Mr Neumann was careful about where he kept documents after a previous burglary at the club.

He also said the police had taken some of the documents the council wanted.

The council also decided Angels had breached a condition requiring it to hold 28 days of CCTV recording.

The police found only 18 days on a hard drive.

Mr Thomas said the CCTV had "failed" on November 17, had been quickly replaced, but was otherwise compliant.

Committee chairman councillor John Thomas said: "The footage viewed by the committee left very little doubt the condition (no touching) had not been complied with at all and the committee refuses to believe these form a one-off incident."

After the hearing Mr Thomas said the club was considering appealing against the refusal at magistrates court.

It has 21 days to lodge an appeal and can stay open until then and until any such hearing concludes.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Lap-dancing-club-Angels-refused-licence-strippers/story-28503932-detail/story.html#ixzz3x24WuWVF 

gutted

Committee members watched footage before the public hearing began and then went into private session to watch more recordings

I bet they did.

Gap store at Fosse Park closing

By Leicester Mercury  |  Posted: January 20, 2016

Fosse Park

Comments (0)

Gap has refused to say how many people are being made redundant with the closure of its Fosse Park store.

The clothing chain is closing the two-storey shop this month after more than a decade of trading.

It is the only Gap store in the county, after the US brand pulled out of the city several years ago.

A company spokeswoman said: "Unfortunately our Fosse Park store is due to close on January 25 – this is due to the lease expiring.

"We are working towards redeploying our employees elsewhere where possible. That's all the info I have at the moment."

A closing down sale is currently underway.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Gap-store-Fosse-Park-closing/story-28571433-detail/story.html#ixzz3xnz2lHZb 

I notice the BHS is closed and the building is being changed a bit.

Any idea on whether they're just renovating or a new business has purchased it?

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/8870-is-the-city-of-leicester-a-dump/?p=3603860

• 2 weeks later...

Magna Park to double in size.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-35437090

I don't see what the problem with this is; it's been a positive place for years with the amount of people working there etc and it'll only improve the situation.

I think the local villages are worried about the increase in traffic, that's the price of progress though.

One problem is the poor bus service to transport workers who cannot afford or do not drive cars. I have worked up there when I did security and had to be transported and when the company stopped this it was one less place I could get to and reason why I had to leave.

Magna Park to double in size.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-35437090

I don't see what the problem with this is; it's been a positive place for years with the amount of people working there etc and it'll only improve the situation.

I think one of their problems is that there is little unemployment in the area so the vast majority of jobs will go to people from elsewhere inncreasing the amount of traffic quite considerable above and beyond the increase from lorries etc.

Plus it lacks a rail link.

One problem is the poor bus service to transport workers who cannot afford or do not drive cars. I have worked up there when I did security and had to be transported and when the company stopped this it was one less place I could get to and reason why I had to leave.

I think it's cheaper to drive these days than get the bus, it's £4 for a Glenfield-Town return these days.

Should have said poor affordable bus service. Some may not agree but with all the businesses there could they not contribute to a private subsidised bus service. Some jobs are early and late shifts outside of bus service times. 6-6 00-6. I have gone there occasionally to the PO depot for parcels and the last bus is about 6pm. I was lucky last time as the time I waited to be served was about the time for a return bus otherwise it would have been another hour wait with nowhere to go to wait unless I walked to Fosse Park via a dual carriageway. I do not know the area that well so not sure how far it would be. Buses are better from Fosse Park I think.

Not everyone can afford a car. Most jobs up there are warehouse minimum wage type. Car sharing would be the idile way but you would have to arrange that before getting the job.

But I do not have to worry about it now thankfully. I am too old and have been placed on the OAP scrapheap. :)