Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

A look inside the American diner that has replaced Lamp Lighters

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news#ixzz49lUnTVN3 

Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

It might have just been me, but the link just took me to the main Mercury page and had to scroll all the way down to find it. For the lazy amongst you (as I normally am), here's the direct link to the story.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Eating/story-29320701-detail/story.html

It doesn't look particularly amazing, pretty much like all the others that have appeared, but then again, I'm not sure what else I'd expect. That said, a sponsored link from them popped up on facebook offering all the chicken wings you can eat for £9.99, which could be enough to tempt me in to try it out!

It might have just been me, but the link just took me to the main Mercury page and had to scroll all the way down to find it. For the lazy amongst you (as I normally am), here's the direct link to the story.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Eating/story-29320701-detail/story.html

It doesn't look particularly amazing, pretty much like all the others that have appeared, but then again, I'm not sure what else I'd expect. That said, a sponsored link from them popped up on facebook offering all the chicken wings you can eat for £9.99, which could be enough to tempt me in to try it out!

Sorry about that was meant to be the direct like, I would have cut and pasted it but there might have been to many pictures.

Ed's is notoriously average though - if the guy that runs Taps has kept the same food standards he's set then I think this would be more than a little better. Tempted to give it a go and intrigued to see what he's gonna do with Wygston's House, too.

Let's be honest, it's going to brighten the area up a hundred times more than Lamplighters....

• Like 1

Guest MattP

Ed's is awful, I'll try this place, I do miss the Lamplighters though, pubs like that are deleterious but they have a character I can't help but love.

£2.2 million plan to reopen Leicester's disused Haymarket Theatre as arts venue

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/2-2-million-plan-reopen-Leicester-s-disused/story-29348599-detail/story.html#ixzz4APUPHS3H 

Charmed Leicester: A lost and found city

By Leicester Mercury  |  Posted: June 08, 2016

By Mr Leicester

14498641-large.jpg

Comments (0)

Apparently, the image of our city has been transformed.

It's not so long ago that the late, great Sir Terry Wogan referred to Leicester as "the lost city" and most Southerners thought we were located about where Birmingham is.

Thirty years ago, local historian Richard Gill wrote The Book of Leicester, a highly readable history of the city that puts Leicester in perspective and shows it in a positive light.

However, even Richard had to admit that the city wasn't a headline grabber, as can be seen from the opening paragraph of his epilogue.

I should point out that in those days, there was no BBC East Midlands Today and our "local" news came from the Pebble Mill studios in Birmingham, but the point is well made nonetheless:

"Leicester is a neglected provincial town. Surely, even those locals who regard the Clock Tower as the hub of the universe are surprised to find it mentioned on the news? Not that it often is.

"Try, some time, playing that undemanding parlour game 'Spot Leicester', when watching BBC's Midlands Today. Usually, it is only crime that stirs the mandarins of Pebble Mill to take notice of us.

Promoted by Organix foods 

info-blue.png

"Even worse is Midlands sport: it is not that Leicester wins, but that Aston Villa loses; and when, a few years ago Leicester won promotion to the First Division by becoming Second Division champions, the headline from Pebble Mill was that Birmingham, who came second, were to go up!"

How things have changed!

Today, there can't be many people across the globe who haven't heard of Leicester, as since Richard Gill wrote those words, we have discovered and buried the remains of a lost king and our football team are Premiership champions: both events confounded all expectations and received world-wide coverage – and happened within the space of just over a year!

If that wasn't enough, we also have the Leicester Riders basketball team who are British Basketball League champions and the brilliant Mark Selby, who is now World Snooker Champion.

We were the first stop on the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Tour and, of course, the great David Attenborough, described recently as "probably the greatest broadcaster of all time", grew up in the city and credits the surrounding countryside with inspiring his love of the natural world.

The knock-on effect of all this is more and more people want to visit the city, which can only be beneficial and travel agents are promoting Leicester as a tourist venue.

There's an optimistic feel on the streets and the city centre is looking better.

So, far from being "the lost city" of 30 years ago, I think for the present at least, we could call good old Leicester "The charmed city".

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Charmed-Leicester-lost-city/story-29375007-detail/story.html#ixzz4AyiXoTos 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A Thai restaurant is to open at Leicester's Highcross shopping centre later this year.

Thaikhun will be opening in St Peters Square, shopping centre bosses have confirmed

The chain has branches across the country, including in Nottingham, Manchester and Cambridge.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/highcrossrestaurant-new-openings/story-29377895-detail/story.html#ixzz4CaUCiLPD 

I have thrown the muck at many a leicester councillers, and their lack of imagination, when finances, or

sponsors have been available...If we are a dump who cares, we are the best dump in the UK , which

with king dick , winning the PL, and having the best Diwali and Asian restaurants,

we are also the dump who made history, across cultures.

Parked my car at th lee circle car park the other day and walked into town through humberstone gate, that side of town is a dump.

What's wrong with the Hansom Cab m8?

• 3 weeks later...

£32m high rise flats complex planned for Leicester's disused International Hotel

By danjmartin  |  Posted: July 31, 2016

Leicester's eyesore International Hotel could be flattened to make way for a multi-million pound 18-storey flats complex.

Plans have been drawn up to demolish the 11-storey disused building on the corner of Rutland Street and Humberstone Gate and replace it with a 637 apartments in a high-rise structure.

The firm behind the £32 million project - Land Invest Ltd - says it will help regenerate an unloved part of the city on the edge of Leicester's Cultural Quarter.

Agent for the project Caroline Simpson-Reynolds said: "We are hopeful this will revolutionise that side of town.

"This is a serious investment into the area.

"Everyone is desperate for that site to be brought back into use and create some vibrancy in that area."

image: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276308/binaries/Caroline House1.png

The proposed development from Humberstone Gate

Several schemes have been drawn up for the building over the years which involved refurbishing it but none have got off the ground.

Read more: 30 test positive for tuberculosis after screening at Leicester homelessness hostel

Ms Simpson-Reynolds said it had now been decided that clearing the site and starting again was the best approach.

She said: "Let's be honest, it is an horrendous building. There have been attempts to refurbish it but they haven't worked.

"We intend to demolish to ground level and rebuild.

"There will be what we call the depository. of 10 storeys, as well as a tower of 18 storeys.

"It will be big but nowhere near as imposing as the nearby 25 storey BT Exchange tower which is enormous.

"What we have in mind is quite contemporary but where it fronts onto Rutland Street and Wimbledon Street we will use brick in keeping with the other buildings there."

The new development - to be called Caroline House - will be based around a large open public space and will have a roof garden.

It will have a mixture of studio flats aimed a first time buyers and larger homes.

On the ground floor it will have commercial units and negotiations are taking place with a coffee shop and deli operator who would occupy them.

image: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276308/binaries/caroline2.png

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/32m-high-rise-flats-complex-planned-for-leicester-s-disused-international-hotel/story-29565747-detail/story.html#hqQZo4fmQOOQGBGz.99

International Hotel

Caroline%20House1.pngcaroline2.png

• Like 1