Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

Only area really can't stand is the St. Matthew's area - Still the same issues exist after a couple of years still; drugs, prostitution, apparent gang feuds.

Braunstone was another, but that area's has improved considerably so don't mind there now.

First cars roll into new Leicester Royal Infirmary multi-storey car park

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/cars-roll-new-Leicester-Royal-Infirmary-multi/story-28646618-detail/story.html#ixzz3yvZG7wZc 

Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

I know it's only a car park but we do seem to like ugly buildings in Leicester

12368473.jpg

Is that a pic of the finished ramp? Not much in the way of design effort....

Closure of Leicester's notorious Lamp Lighters and Grapevine pubs leads to plunge in violent crime

By danjmartin  |  Posted: March 19, 2016

13429520-large.jpg

Lamp Lighters

The latest financial year ends at the end of this month and up to March 7 there had been 550 similar incidents.

He said: "We are on course for a 14.1 per cent fall in violent crime.

"That's really very good."

He was asked at the Castle ward meeting at City Hall if there was any particular reason for the decrease and cited the closure of Grapevine, in September last year, and Lamp Lighters at the end of last month, as factors.

Grapevine.JPG

Grapevine had its licence revoked by Leicester City Council in April last year when licensing bosses described it as having as having "a toxic blend of poor management and unqualified individuals".

The then owners appealed against the decision but ultimately had to close in September when the bid to stay open failed.

The bar has remained shut since.

During the review hearing licensing sub-committee chairman Councillor Adam Clarke said: "Members were concerned people associated with the premises were suspected of crime, one of whom had been convicted of crime.

"Moreover, that some of those individuals were or had been in a management position, interim or not, was of grave concern.

"Members said for many years the management's structure had let customers and staff down.

"A toxic blend of poor management and unqualified individuals, however well-meaning, led the sub-committee to believe the premises licence should be permanently revoked to ensure safety of the public."

Insp Preston said the owner of Lamp Lighters was 'a really nice bloke' who had tried to transform the pub which had a reputation for rowdiness.

Lamp Lighters owners Geoffrey Thornton and Alistair Smith, who took it over a year ago, said they had tried to end the problem of violence inside and outside the pub but had now given up.

Geoffrey said Lamp Lighters had been notorious for problems.

The plan is to turn the watering hole into a 1950s-style American Diner called Jumping Jacks.

It is hoped it will open next month.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Closure-notorious-Lamp-Lighters-Grapevine-pubs/story-28949621-detail/story.html#ixzz43LXt5WP5 

Bland designs: The worst swaps in the architectural history of Leicestershire

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Builder-s-bum-deals-worst-swaps-Leicester-s/story-28949455-detail/story.html#ixzz43LYed2zS 

I work in Wellingborough in Northants - if anyone thinks Leicester is a dump they really ought to pay that pit of bleakness and despair a visit.

Leicester is perfectly fine for a British city of it's size. Might not blow your bollocks off but it's safe for the most part, there's enough to see and do if you don't want the standard chain scran in the Highcross or a pint in a Yates' - we really don't have it that bad.

Yes it is open and much needed. I was down at the LRI last week. I'm afraid it looks a monstrosity and amazing to think it's finished, looking like it does.

I was there a fair few times last week too and can totally agree with this. They were still painting the stairs, and if I recall properly, the ticket machine where you pay wasn't fully operational either. It's a brutal, exposed building, but the main thing, is that it was desperately needed and each time I went in to the LRI, I didn't need to queue once to get in, for the first time in history!

I work in Wellingborough in Northants - if anyone thinks Leicester is a dump they really ought to pay that pit of bleakness and despair a visit.

Leicester is perfectly fine for a British city of it's size. Might not blow your bollocks off but it's safe for the most part, there's enough to see and do if you don't want the standard chain scran in the Highcross or a pint in a Yates' - we really don't have it that bad.

Wellingborough is desperate to be fair. It has a great layout and when I used to visit it as a sales rep 25 years ago it really was a lovely town with independent stores.

It appears though now a pound shop paradise, quite a poor town that has gone down hill rapidly.

We shouldn't though compare ourselves to the worst places though, as we will never get better.

Look at the towns and cities that haven't been hit by poor development and learn from them.

Leicester has been crucified by horrific planning over the last 5 decades that really has made it a grubby and non appealing City.

However, the last few years have been good news for Leicester. It's looking up, some good development which has made the City much better.

Hopefully we can continue with the progress, which could possibly see more independent businesses open in the town that brings more people in to spend their money.

Unfortunately, over the last year I have spent much of my leisure time in Newcastle, Norwich, Oxford, Cambridge, London, Durham and others as Leicester still does not offer me enough to make me spend my money there.

Not sure you can compare Leicester to the likes of Oxford, Cambridge and Durham. Completely different types of city.

Not comparing, just saying I have decided to spend my leisure time and money in those places rather than Leicester.

However, if Leicester hadn't been destroyed over the years, maybe my cash would have been spent in the Leicester economy.

A  lot of money but Leicester's Roman history has been badly neglected for decades and is much more significant than the 'lucky' Richard III connection.

£5 million plan to turn Jewry Wall Museum into top class visitor attraction revealed

By Leicester Mercury  |  Posted: April 01, 2016

By Samantha Fisher

13664643-large.jpg

Jewry Wall

Comments (0)

Leicester City Council has revealed a £5 million plan to turn Jewry Wall Museum into a top class visitor attraction and treble the number of visitors.

Work is already underway on £1.5 million revamp of the 1960s-built museum which was announced last month.

The project includes creating better public access and improving the condition of the site which features one of the tallest surviving pieces of non-military Roman masonry in the UK.

However, today the city council revealed that the improvement project is more ambitious.

It says its new £5 million plans will radically improve the museum buildings adjoining the ancient archaeological site and the material housed inside them.

The city council expects the improvement works to at least triple the number of visitors to the complex.

City Mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said: "We want to make it somewhere that tells the story of Roman Leicester and will be one of the best places for understanding Roman Britain.

"Leicester has a fascinating history, and bringing it to life in this way will further help put our modern city on the map, as well as bringing in significant economic benefits."

The city council is choosing museum design experts to draw up proposals to combine and improve the existing Jewry Wall Museum and the adjoining Vaughan College buildings, which the city council purchased from the University of Leicester in summer 2015.

The designs are expected by the autumn, at which point the council will decide whether to proceed. It will also look into attracting external funding for the project.

Sir Peter added: "Acquiring the whole site in 2015 means we now have the opportunity to refresh, renew and expand the museum by integrating all the buildings, as well as improving public access.

"We will also be looking carefully about how we can vastly improve interpretation of this fantastic Roman site, which is why we're going to bring in museum design experts."

The current £1.5 million plans will create a level access walkway from St Nicholas Circle to the entrance of Vaughan College, and an internal lift and staircase linking the upper floor with the museum below will be installed.

They will also include works on the museum and building façade, and improvements to St Nicholas Path that runs between the Jewry Wall and St Nicholas Church, revealing the old cobbles which have been covered by a modern asphalt surface.

The museum buildings will be cleaned and repainted, and the interpretation and presentation of the Roman bath house site, including Jewry Wall itself, will be improved. Archaeological investigations, in preparation for the improvement works, are also due to take place once Government permission has been granted.

Jewry%20Wall%202.jpg

Jewry Wall

Jewry Wall Museum 

Jewry Wall Museum and site includes the UK's tallest surviving piece of Roman masonry, and the extensive site of a Roman bath house, along with a city council-run museum.

In addition to its Roman collections, it tells the story of early Leicester from prehistoric times to the Middle Ages.

The Jewry Wall is nine metres (30 feet) high and is the only visible survival of Roman Leicester.

The wall is built from several types of stone, including granite and slate from Charnwood forest, and local sandstones.

The remains of Roman bath house are on the east side of the Jewry Wall Museum - they are a series of stone foundations.

Beside the church of St Nicholas is a series of brick arches. This was the west side of a large exercise hall, which now lies under the churchyard.

After exercising, bathers walked through one of the arched doors into the cold room. On either side were changing rooms and toilets.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/5-million-plan-turn-Jewry-Wall-Museum-class/story-29034450-detail/story.html#ixzz44bMe9I5h 

I have visited Jewry wall many times. It's always empty yet it's actually quite amazing. This IS history! and needs a spruce up.

You could imaging being a local farmer and travelling from field and mud into the city and see how the Romans lived. We must have stood in awe.

I cant help but think if this was in another city it would be much more grand. Look at the New Walk Museum, you want to go in! You have to walk around Jewry Wall twice just to find a way in!

If you have not been, go! It's not a quiet hush hush and look at the old things type of museum. It's free but please donate generously.

• Like 1

I have visited Jewry wall many times. It's always empty yet it's actually quite amazing. This IS history! and needs a spruce up.

You could imaging being a local farmer and travelling from field and mud into the city and see how the Romans lived. We must have stood in awe.

I cant help but think if this was in another city it would be much more grand. Look at the New Walk Museum, you want to go in! You have to walk around Jewry Wall twice just to find a way in!

If you have not been, go! It's not a quiet hush hush and look at the old things type of museum. It's free but please donate generously.

So much of the City's roman remains have had crap like the holiday inn and car parks built over them.

Posted this in the "Do they mean us" thread as well as this, as it addresses both the city and the club.

Usually VICE articles are very derogatory, written by some jumped-up London hipster d**khead that believes anything north of Watford is inherently a run-down post-industrial s**t-hole.

However, this is pretty good, balanced piece on the city itself, and what effect City's achievements are having on it.

"Leicester's Buzzing: One Night in the Underdog City That Could Win The League"

https://www.vice.com.../read/leicester

• Like 1

Posted this in the "Do they mean us" thread as well as this, as it addresses both the city and the club.

Usually VICE articles are very derogatory, written by some jumped-up London hipster d**khead that believes anything north of Watford is inherently a run-down post-industrial s**t-hole.

However, this is pretty good, balanced piece on the city itself, and what effect City's achievements are having on it.

"Leicester's Buzzing: One Night in the Underdog City That Could Win The League"

https://www.vice.com.../read/leicester

I really enjoyed that, and particularly this quote:

"Leicester didn't seem like some sort of grand leftist project or colourless utopia. Instead it just seemed like a place where people didn't hate each other."

• Like 1