Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

On 03/05/2024 at 06:29, SemperEadem said:

Duke’s of Devonshire and Norfolk both own outrageous amounts of property and land in Sheffield.

Pears Family/Group own some of the stock around Leicester city centre. 

Charles Street Buildings have a portfolio of newer stuff 

1 hour ago, Otis said:

I would suggest LCC screws itself over with its anti business approach.

I don't see how BDC making the most of it's location and facilities is to blame for the slow demise of town.

BDC is doing what it would do in that situation 

My point is more that if LCC’s area reflected the city’s true boundaries you’d have a more representative authority and hopefully a more joined up development strategy 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Pears Family/Group own some of the stock around Leicester city centre. 

Charles Street Buildings have a portfolio of newer stuff 

Thanks for that. Just Googled Pears family. Something stinks with them, only founded in 1952 yet 6bn of property. So not old money (as I thought it might be). Dirty money? 

Either way, stinks of Lizards. Wiki extract below: 

'6,200 apartments" in Berlin, managed through a series of "letterbox companies".[4] In 2019, a collaboration of investigative journalists in Germany, headed by Correctiv, tracked down the ownership of about 25 companies with property in Berlin to six firms in Luxembourg, who belong to two firms on Cyprus, who belong to two firms on the British Virgin Islands, who the journalists concluded to be controlled by the William Pears Group.[5]' 

4 hours ago, MattFox said:

Fosse Park is within the Ring Road, idea its not part of the city is ludicrous

BDC trying to claim glory? Surely it's not a competition when all district councils should be working for the greater good.

6 hours ago, MattFox said:

Fosse Park is within the Ring Road, idea its not part of the city is ludicrous

It’s in Blaby district, as is Braunstone Town. Jag garage is the border. 

I think a lot of people from the county and urban areas, particularly the south of Leicester and West, feel alienated with the more central areas and city itself. 

I personally will not venture into the City unless I absolutely have to. 

7 hours ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

I think a lot of people from the county and urban areas, particularly the south of Leicester and West, feel alienated with the more central areas and city itself. 

Another aspect to living in the area you've mentioned is that living on the western side of the city/Blaby district border as I do, you feel we are subject to more development than other areas and a general lower consideration in other areas such as environment.

We already have lost Western Golf Course to new homes and now another:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-68976929

We have had a very smelly new tip recently open near the former British Shoe site and the new development on the Western Golf site promises yet another - less than a mile away.

Pollution is worse over here in anycase due to the M1 and other major routes and junctions.

Leave us some breathing space for crying out loud.

It does seem the area is used as a dumping ground - literally.

Even existing resources are not maintained. The council recently reported public tennis courts were to see major renovations and investments but not the ones on Western Park itself.

Sadly neglected, I feel.

I think i'm in the minority that prefers town.

Had a great night last night around Viccy park and the uni. Really nice night, loads of people out and about playing sport, drinking, eating etc. 

Area around the uni is underrated, some cracking buildings.  

• Like 4

Just now, Free Falling Foxes said:

Another aspect to living in the area you've mentioned is that living on the western side of the city/Blaby district border as I do, you feel we are subject to more development than other areas and a general lower consideration in other areas such as environment.

We already have lost Western Golf Course to new homes and now another:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-68976929

We have had a very smelly new tip recently open near the former British Shoe site and the new development on the Western Golf site promises yet another - less than a mile away.

Pollution is worse over here in anycase due to the M1 and other major routes and junctions.

Leave us some breathing space for crying out loud.

It does seem the area is used as a dumping ground - literally.

Even existing resources are not maintained. The council recently reported public tennis courts were to see major renovations and investments but not the ones on Western Park itself.

Sadly neglected, I feel.

How long do you think it will be before Western Park itself starts to get cannibalised? I can see the arguments now, lots of alternative green space nearby on Braunstone Park, cost of managing/maintaining lots of open space. It's already started with the housing planning permission on one side so I don't think it will be too long before another chunk goes on the Park View/New Parks Way side.  

2 hours ago, westernpark said:

Love Leicester. Hate Fosse Park - get it on a TIFO.

I used to love Leicester, partly because it was very easily accessible for me, and still very much is. But if I was going to shop, I’d much prefer Fosse Park now.

Walking from the train station just 20 minutes ago, I walked past two blokes splitting whatever was in their little bag, with a bloke fast asleep next to them outside the Sainsbury’s. Then as I ventured down towards the council offices, one bloke is half way into a bottle of corona whilst two blokes are having a shouting match across the street at each other. Then as I walked past the metro bank one man is flat out on his back. All before 9:30am.

It’s an awful place to walk through,  let alone for people that might be vulnerable or have kids with them.

It really grates on me that you cannot walk through the place without someone (usually an addict of some sort) asking you for money.

23 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

How long do you think it will be before Western Park itself starts to get cannibalised? I can see the arguments now, lots of alternative green space nearby on Braunstone Park, cost of managing/maintaining lots of open space. It's already started with the housing planning permission on one side so I don't think it will be too long before another chunk goes on the Park View/New Parks Way side.  

I fear you may well be right. :cry:

1 hour ago, Bert said:

I used to love Leicester, partly because it was very easily accessible for me, and still very much is. But if I was going to shop, I’d much prefer Fosse Park now.

Walking from the train station just 20 minutes ago, I walked past two blokes splitting whatever was in their little bag, with a bloke fast asleep next to them outside the Sainsbury’s. Then as I ventured down towards the council offices, one bloke is half way into a bottle of corona whilst two blokes are having a shouting match across the street at each other. Then as I walked past the metro bank one man is flat out on his back. All before 9:30am.

It’s an awful place to walk through,  let alone for people that might be vulnerable or have kids with them.

It really grates on me that you cannot walk through the place without someone (usually an addict of some sort) asking you for money.

This is a modern societal issue not unique to Leicester. 

Any large town or city is having issues with the same thing. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bert said:

What you’ve described happens to me on a near daily basis. However, they’re your archetypal problems of a decent size city and without getting too political, years of austerity. Nonetheless, what’s quite obvious with Leicester is that many people coming out the train station have the same concerns, almost amplified. Granby Street is a mess for various reasons but on to the people, unfortunately there are so many centres for various issues around there. Like the YMCA(great facility), or homeless centre and so on. They’ve tried to do stuff like 2007ish made Granby Street a Conservation Area but you’ve got to put places to help people somewhere. In the long-term I’m eyeing up buying somewhere in South Highfields, so I realise I may have an unusually high tolerance for naughty and annoying people. 

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

This is a modern societal issue not unique to Leicester. 

Any large town or city is having issues with the same thing. 

Oh, I’m fully aware of that. 

But I’d much rather go somewhere else where that’s not going to happen and currently you don’t get that at Fosse park and it has pretty much everything there that the town centre has. 

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

What you’ve described happens to me on a near daily basis. However, they’re your archetypal problems of a decent size city and without getting too political, years of austerity. Nonetheless, what’s quite obvious with Leicester is that many people coming out the train station have the same concerns, almost amplified. Granby Street is a mess for various reasons but on to the people, unfortunately there are so many centres for various issues around there. Like the YMCA(great facility), or homeless centre and so on. They’ve tried to do stuff like 2007ish made Granby Street a Conservation Area but you’ve got to put places to help people somewhere. In the long-term I’m eyeing up buying somewhere in South Highfields, so I realise I may have an unusually high tolerance for naughty and annoying people. 

If there’s someone that’s genuinely homeless and sleeping rough, I’ll chuck them whatever loose change I may have or even in the colder months get them something from Greggs. But for me the dregs of society who have brought on the situation they find themselves in by themselves I have zero time for, as well as them being quite unpredictable in regards as to what they might say or do and that’s me being quite streetwise. But imagine an elderly person on their own who they would see as an easy target would feel quite intimidated. 

Walking home from work last night, I crossed the road and the girl that walked past me used to live next door to me. She was lovely, actually quite attractive too. She’s now almost unrecognisable to the person she once was, she’s aged about 20 years, lost her teeth amongst other things. All for the sake of drugs. It’s such a sad and sorry state that some people find themselves in and I do wish that there was much more support and help out there for these people, but the problem is that they don’t want to help themselves. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Bert said:

If there’s someone that’s genuinely homeless and sleeping rough, I’ll chuck them whatever loose change I may have or even in the colder months get them something from Greggs. But for me the dregs of society who have brought on the situation they find themselves in by themselves I have zero time for, as well as them being quite unpredictable in regards as to what they might say or do and that’s me being quite streetwise. But imagine an elderly person on their own who they would see as an easy target would feel quite intimidated. 

Walking home from work last night, I crossed the road and the girl that walked past me used to live next door to me. She was lovely, actually quite attractive too. She’s now almost unrecognisable to the person she once was, she’s aged about 20 years, lost her teeth amongst other things. All for the sake of drugs. It’s such a sad and sorry state that some people find themselves in and I do wish that there was much more support and help out there for these people, but the problem is that they don’t want to help themselves. 

A couple of thing's here. 

1) If there’s someone that’s genuinely homeless and sleeping rough, I’ll chuck them whatever loose change I may have or even in the colder months get them something from Greggs.

How do know they're "genuine" when you then go on to say:

2) But for me the dregs of society who have brought on the situation they find themselves in by themselves I have zero time for. 

How do you know they're the "dregs of society". 

Two very sweeping judgements that you have absolutely no basis in fact to make.

You can't make out that you are philanthropic in the first example and then become Suella Braverman in the second.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, westernpark said:

Granby street could and should be a lovely entrance to the city. It wasnt that long ago it was. The Grand is there. San Carlo. Is that cool gay bar still going? It would'nt take much to fluff it up. 

In the absence of a.sufficent  Police, the council could do worse than to sink 250k a year into funding 5 or 6 permanent street wardens to shoo away the filth towards belgrave road, where, let's face it, indian people don't give two shits about legless, drug addled paupers on skateboards. They'll all have fun there together 

6 hours ago, Bert said:

genuinely homeless and sleeping rough

Very few are. And some of those few that are have chosen that lifestyle. The rest must've either made astoundingly bad decisions in their life or be uniquely  and incredibly unlucky. 

10 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Granby street could and should be a lovely entrance to the city. It wasnt that long ago it was. The Grand is there. San Carlo. Is that cool gay bar still going? It would'nt take much to fluff it up. 

In the absence of a.sufficent  Police, the council could do worse than to sink 250k a year into funding 5 or 6 permanent street wardens to shoo away the filth towards belgrave road, where, let's face it, indian people don't give two shits about legless, drug addled paupers on skateboards. They'll all have fun there together 

I am surprised we haven’t seen any of those pretend police officers like they have in Nottingham, in Leicester. 

4 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I am surprised we haven’t seen any of those pretend police officers like they have in Nottingham, in Leicester. 

I didn't know they had them (as I refuse to visit the place) 

But yep, they are much much needed

250k a year is peanuts to the council. Tbh, traders may well pay an extra grand in rates to fund it 

56 minutes ago, Parafox said:

A couple of thing's here. 

1) If there’s someone that’s genuinely homeless and sleeping rough, I’ll chuck them whatever loose change I may have or even in the colder months get them something from Greggs.

How do know they're "genuine" when you then go on to say:

2) But for me the dregs of society who have brought on the situation they find themselves in by themselves I have zero time for. 

How do you know they're the "dregs of society". 

Two very sweeping judgements that you have absolutely no basis in fact to make.

You can't make out that you are philanthropic in the first example and then become Suella Braverman in the second.

It’s fairly easy to tell. Plus walking through the town a hell of a lot, you get to know the ones that are drug users.