Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

One should never judge a homeless person by their 'cover'.

Each individual story is different, and it's often not necessarily their fault.

Am sure @Rincewind (bless him) would've agreed to an extent.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lako42 said:

I think i'm in the minority that prefers town.

Had a great night last night around Viccy park and the uni. Really nice night, loads of people out and about playing sport, drinking, eating etc. 

Area around the uni is underrated, some cracking buildings.  

You’d think town was worse than downtown Johannesburg the way people go on 

Fosse Park is Karen central anyway 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

One should never judge a homeless person by their 'cover'.

Each individual story is different, and it's often not necessarily their fault.

Am sure @Rincewind (bless him) would've agreed to an extent.

Not sure it's the 'homeless' that annoy people. That's a catch all word. 

Basically it's the skanks. Toothless women weighing 5 stone wet through walking at 100 mph alongside two fellas (who wear the same clobber if it's -10 or +35 degrees) on an absolute mission

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Very few are. And some of those few that are have chosen that lifestyle. The rest must've either made astoundingly bad decisions in their life or be uniquely  and incredibly unlucky. 

Unbelievable

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bert said:

It’s fairly easy to tell. Plus walking through the town a hell of a lot, you get to know the ones that are drug users.

Assumptions again. You don't know their story, where they've come from, what has led them to this situation. You just assume they are "the dregs of society". Walk a mile in their shoes before you judge a person.

I've met many rough sleepers who aren't drug users and I've met drug users who aren't rough sleepers (and they are by far the majority). People fall on hard and difficult times. Some get by, others fall by the wayside. 

What is your story Bert? Is your life so perfect? Do you have faults? Was there ever a possibility that circumstances could have led you down a different path?

Don't be holier than thou. That's not a good look.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Parafox said:

Assumptions again. You don't know their story, where they've come from, what has led them to this situation. You just assume they are "the dregs of society". Walk a mile in their shoes before you judge a person.

I've met many rough sleepers who aren't drug users and I've met drug users who aren't rough sleepers (and they are by far the majority). People fall on hard and difficult times. Some get by, others fall by the wayside. 

What is your story Bert? Is your life so perfect? Do you have faults? Was there ever a possibility that circumstances could have led you down a different path?

Aren't you the same guy that tars all of the traveller community because you had a bad experience once? I'm sure you also referred to Irish people in a derogatory way too. Granted you had a bad experience however I'd read your post above here and maybe think on that as well.

Edited by lcfc278

15 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Granby street could and should be a lovely entrance to the city. It wasnt that long ago it was. The Grand is there. San Carlo. Is that cool gay bar still going? It would'nt take much to fluff it up. 

Currently a co-operative coffee shop. Really good place/business. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

My concern actually about M&S actually centres more on how the elder generations used it as an excuse to visit town. I have seen it with Solihull - it closing killed footfall but also hurt a little bit of society alongside it. 

I need a new pair of spectacles. I read the above post and spent 10 minutes trying to work out how M&S closing in Solihull killed football. Like the 'elder generations' referred to by CosbehFox, I am getting too old for this.

20 minutes ago, Boethius said:

I need a new pair of spectacles. I read the above post and spent 10 minutes trying to work out how M&S closing in Solihull killed football. Like the 'elder generations' referred to by CosbehFox, I am getting too old for this.

M&S closing in Solihull killed footfall

Losing to Bromley seriously damaged football

11 hours ago, Parafox said:

Far from perfect, far from holier than thou. I judge on what I see with my own eyes. Everyone has a choice whether to take drugs or not take drugs.

Lived on an estate for 27 years, with many friends or people I knew that have lead themselves down the wrong path, I just chose not to go down that path. 

36 minutes ago, Bert said:

Far from perfect, far from holier than thou. I judge on what I see with my own eyes. Everyone has a choice whether to take drugs or not take drugs.

Lived on an estate for 27 years, with many friends or people I knew that have lead themselves down the wrong path, I just chose not to go down that path. 

Of course taking drugs is a choice but addiction is a disease. Whether that be gambling, alcohol or drug addiction, it is effectively the product of a mental illness. Leicester has many fantastic services, like Turning Point, Dear Albert, Number 5 that help people attempt to turn their lives around. Unfortunately, there are always people who fall through the cracks of these services, probably those that we are all familiar with in Leicester.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

My concern actually about M&S actually centres more on how the elder generations used it as an excuse to visit town. I have seen it with Solihull - it closing killed footfall but also hurt a little bit of society alongside it. 

Town used to be filled with the older generation back in then day, BHS, C&A, M&S (they love an acronym), Debenhams, even using the market. Can't imagine them wanting to go there any more, I feel uneasy wandering around the clock tower area, so god knows what they might feel like. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

Town used to be filled with the older generation back in then day, BHS, C&A, M&S (they love an acronym), Debenhams, even using the market. Can't imagine them wanting to go there any more, I feel uneasy wandering around the clock tower area, so god knows what they might feel like. 

Woolies and Littlewoods too!

18 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It's pretty disheartening to see some of the responses here, some people must lead pretty perfect and sheltered lives if they can't see that some people end up in less than satisfactory places through no choice of their own.

Whatever happened to empathy, and there but for the grace of God go I?

It's not surprising that UK society is in the place it is if nobody really gives a shit about anyone else :(

"Rugged individualism", and a different kind of the Lords grace, viz. "Prosperity gospel" and the "Just World" fallacy, as cultural imports, is what happened.

And the places where it's more prevalent prove that it leads nowhere good.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, westernpark said:

Of course taking drugs is a choice but addiction is a disease. Whether that be gambling, alcohol or drug addiction, it is effectively the product of a mental illness. Leicester has many fantastic services, like Turning Point, Dear Albert, Number 5 that help people attempt to turn their lives around. Unfortunately, there are always people who fall through the cracks of these services, probably those that we are all familiar with in Leicester.

I agree. And pretty much no-one chooses to become homeless. For many it's circumstantial; mental health issues in particular, broken relationships, abuse, familial emotional or physical neglect, failed businesses leading to the loss of one's home. The reasons are often complex.

For so many, living on the street is so awful that sadly, self medicate with drugs and alcohol to blot out the horrors of their circumstances and that is likely to be their lives until they die.

Edited by Parafox

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

Aren't you the same guy that tars all of the traveller community because you had a bad experience once? I'm sure you also referred to Irish people in a derogatory way too. Granted you had a bad experience however I'd read your post above here and maybe think on that as well.

I am, and let me assure you it was more than one bad experience. 

I can also assure you that I have never referred to the Irish people in a derogatory way. 

I only commented following personal encounters that I had with travellers (none of which have been pleasant),. In the same way I have commented on those rough sleepers/street dwellers that I have had personal encounters with. I have never generalised.

Edited by Parafox

Nice to hear Alex Hylton on radio Leicester bigging up the city and offering a bit of sensible perspective, to the issues that people have with the city centre. I agree with him, pound to pound, we are the best city in the UK. You can listen to his interview about 2hours 14 minutes into the Ady Dayman breakfast show, on bbc sounds.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Nice to hear Alex Hylton on radio Leicester bigging up the city and offering a bit of sensible perspective, to the issues that people have with the city centre. I agree with him, pound to pound, we are the best city in the UK. You can listen to his interview about 2hours 14 minutes into the Ady Dayman breakfast show, on bbc sounds.

is this the same Ady Dayman who refers to Leicester City as "The Tricky Blues"?

Just now, boots60 said:

is this the same Ady Dayman who refers to Leicester City as "The Tricky Blues"?

Couldn’t care less about Ady Dayman, I don’t think he was presenting despite it being his show.