Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Corky

One-Day cricket 2013 thread

Thought they were on for a big score with 135 at the 30 over mark with plenty of wickets in hand. Didn't even make 250.

It is amazing how ODIs suddenly seem to be this huge tactical battle, rather than a slog a thon, it can only be good for the middle format, with T-20 Being the whack it out the park format.

So rain stopped play, as predicted pre match, so if we know pre match rain is to be expected shouldn't they try and do something about it.

We have had enough time for 65 overs and a change over, now knowing as we did at 10:30 today weather would be a factor, and knowing as we do, that Duckworth Lewis is unreliable, shouldn't they have tried to get in 20 overs to make a result certain. Aussies bat 25 overs, then NZ bat 25 overs, then they bat the remaining overs until it rains.

Obviously you don't know how much time you will have, but this would be the best way of ensuring a result, in the event of rain the scores at half time count regardless of how many further overs are bowled unless the team batting fourth cannot win (not taking into account no-balls/free hits/over throws/hitting the helmet etc)

Thinking about it staggering overs could add a number of combinations, Team A bat 25, B, 25, A 25, B 25. 

A: 25, B:50 A:25 so one team bats first and last

A:10 B:20 A:20 B:20 A:20 B:10 mixes it up a bit, teams will always try and overtake the other teams total in their mini innings, but may be too many change overs.

No offence, but that's a terrible idea.

If it rains, it rains. Duckworth-Lewis may not be perfect, but it's not that bad and in reality we don't lose that many matches to rain.

None taken, but I would like to know why you think it is a terrible idea, if you have ever been to a match called off by rain it is pretty fvcking annoying, especially when there was enough time for a result, but one team bat for 50 overs and the other didn't bat. If it is a wash-out then that is one thing, but when you have the time to have a match and you know rain is coming why not do something about it?

When you say "we" you mean England? Correct we have been lucky with the weather recently, I can't think of a called off game for a while, but it is not just England, it happens in every country and at all levels, there are probably hundreds of matches each season affected by rain.

Splitting the innings would be better than D/L, it would be more exciting and would ensure more results (at least 20 overs each) when the time permits.

Guest MattP

Problem is soon as you do that you will have a 20 over slog and the rain won't bother coming and it won;t be deemed fair.

It's a 50 over tournament, they should do their upmost to make sure that can happen.

Problem is soon as you do that you will have a 20 over slog and the rain won't bother coming and it won;t be deemed fair.

It's a 50 over tournament, they should do their upmost to make sure that can happen.

It will still be 50 overs, weather permitting, but they do it in 2 lots of 25 to guarantee a result if there is time to fit in enough overs to count as a result. It would liven up the middle overs if they thought that their half time score would come into it, but it would favour the tea batting second as they would gamble on the rain coming and slog it to get the lead not caring about losing wickets.

That is why the last one I suggested was 10:20:20:20:20:10 nobody has an advantage over conditions as you are batting under the same conditions, if the rain comes then it will be easy to take a level point. Downside would be batsmen getting in, then having to have a break for 20 overs, but it is the same for everyone so it can't be called unfair.

This whole train of thought came from the fact that if you lose 4 hours of the day in the morning, you play a reduced over match, if it looks you are going to lose 4 hours to rain in the afternoon then surely you would play a reduced overs match.

Guest MattP

Doesn't work for me, you can't expect batsman to be building innings at a World Class level and whislt then coming off to field for ten overs before coming back to bat again on a pitch that has become more worn than it was when they faced their last ball.

It is completely unfair and could elad to some farcical situations.

The format works, some games will get rained off but I'd take that over games like this.

None taken, but I would like to know why you think it is a terrible idea, if you have ever been to a match called off by rain it is pretty fvcking annoying, especially when there was enough time for a result, but one team bat for 50 overs and the other didn't bat. If it is a wash-out then that is one thing, but when you have the time to have a match and you know rain is coming why not do something about it?

When you say "we" you mean England? Correct we have been lucky with the weather recently, I can't think of a called off game for a while, but it is not just England, it happens in every country and at all levels, there are probably hundreds of matches each season affected by rain.

Splitting the innings would be better than D/L, it would be more exciting and would ensure more results (at least 20 overs each) when the time permits.

Yes, I've been to many rain affected games and whilst it's annoying it's just the luck of the draw.

When I say "we", I mean the whole of cricket.

I think it's a terrible idea because it's impractical to keep having teams changing over that often. It's not fair on the batsmen who've worked hard to 'get in' and have started timing the ball to bring them off and then they'd have to play their way in again in the second innings. As a result the totals would be lower - not something the ICC or paying punters want. Similarly, a bowler might have got into great rhythm and be bowling a potentially match winning spell only to be interrupted by a change of innings.

Further, it takes different teams tactical approach out of the game. At least the DL method gives teams - like England - who keep wickets in hand a chance to chase down a definite score set by DL to win. Take your example, India bat their first innings of 25 overs and make 180-8, so chances are you'd fancy bowling them out for 200/210 if their innings continued. Then England come in and make 110-1 off 25 overs and rain comes during the change over and the match is abandoned. It's clear that England would have won if the match went the full length but your example doesn't account for situation like the value of wickets in hand and overs remaining. Imagine an even more ridiculous scenario: Bangladesh 150 all out after 25 overs, in reply England 145-0 after 25 overs, rain comes match abandoned. Under your scenario Bangladesh win. At least DL takes into account all factors in the equation such as run-rate, overs remaining and wickets in hand to produce a relatively fair result.

Secondly, you can't just alter a whole match on the chance there might be rain. If the rain doesn't come then it makes a complete horlicks of the match. Under your idea there are likely to be even more ridiculous situations.

They're interviewing the bar manager on SSN and he said 'They were in the Walkabout VIP area'.

I'm sorry, but Walkabout VIP area  lol  lol  lol My brain simply cannot comprehend Walkabout and VIP in the same sentence.

Is that the area with the pool table?

I would have said it's the square metre in the corner where there's no piss and chunder on the floor and no fighting.

But it now appears it's just the square metre in the corner with no piss or chunder.

Guest ttfn

They're interviewing the bar manager on SSN and he said 'They were in the Walkabout VIP area'.

I'm sorry, but Walkabout VIP area lollollol My brain simply cannot comprehend Walkabout and VIP in the same sentence.

I've been in that very same VIP area on a stag do. There are 2 sofas, a cordon and a bottle of cava waiting for you there.

The lap of luxury.

Yes, I've been to many rain affected games and whilst it's annoying it's just the luck of the draw.

When I say "we", I mean the whole of cricket.

I think it's a terrible idea because it's impractical to keep having teams changing over that often. It's not fair on the batsmen who've worked hard to 'get in' and have started timing the ball to bring them off and then they'd have to play their way in again in the second innings. As a result the totals would be lower - not something the ICC or paying punters want. Similarly, a bowler might have got into great rhythm and be bowling a potentially match winning spell only to be interrupted by a change of innings.

Further, it takes different teams tactical approach out of the game. At least the DL method gives teams - like England - who keep wickets in hand a chance to chase down a definite score set by DL to win. Take your example, India bat their first innings of 25 overs and make 180-8, so chances are you'd fancy bowling them out for 200/210 if their innings continued. Then England come in and make 110-1 off 25 overs and rain comes during the change over and the match is abandoned. It's clear that England would have won if the match went the full length but your example doesn't account for situation like the value of wickets in hand and overs remaining. Imagine an even more ridiculous scenario: Bangladesh 150 all out after 25 overs, in reply England 145-0 after 25 overs, rain comes match abandoned. Under your scenario Bangladesh win. At least DL takes into account all factors in the equation such as run-rate, overs remaining and wickets in hand to produce a relatively fair result.

Secondly, you can't just alter a whole match on the chance there might be rain. If the rain doesn't come then it makes a complete horlicks of the match. Under your idea there are likely to be even more ridiculous situations.

All valid points, and maybe the 25:25:25:25 formate would need to be done with D/L but at least in both those examples above the match has a result as enough overs were played.

If you look at my last reply I did some tweaking with the 10:20:20:20:20:10. 

Do you really think punters only want high scores? This champion trophy has been pretty low scoring and been all the better for it, in my opinion, low scores, bowlers taking wickets, innings going down to the wire, that is better than one team smacks it around on a flat track, the next team chases while bowlers just try to stifle runs rather than attack.

The 50 over format has been under threat for a while even before T20, making a few big changes could spice it up, I like the idea of 10:20:20:20:20:10 it would eliminate the problems suggested above, if a batsman goes for it he can score a century in 20 overs, as we have seen in T20, it would also encourage batsmen to push on while they are in as they know they will have to sit out for a couple of hours and then try and get back in. It would add an extra dimension, the fans would be more involved as the change overs would make it more exciting, they would have a clear idea of targets, and know who was ahead at any one point, whilst also solving the rain problems.

Anyway I'm just throwing ideas about, I personally would quite like to watch that.

Archived