Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

An Interesting Read - Some Stats.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Stats-way-looking-Leicester-City/story-19215500-detail/story.html#axzz2VQQZgMd1

Stats one way of looking at it for Leicester City

No stone is left unturned in the quest for success in modern football.

Every aspect of every game and training session is poured over in detail in a bid to identify areas for improvement, as the margins between success and failure are so fine these days they are almost microscopic.

​

Last season demonstrated that point more than ever as the gap in the Championship table between Leicester City in the last play-off spot, on 68 points, and Peterborough, who were relegated, was just 14 points.

That is why clubs study statistics in great detail, and City do this as much as any other club.

How they interpret the data is down to manager Nigel Pearson and his staff, but there were some interesting statistics that came out of last season, some which are more useful than others.

For example, City made 13,547 successful passes during the campaign, with 2,535 of them coming from Danny Drinkwater.

Although Drinkwater made the most passes of any City player, it was fellow midfielder Andy King who possessed the highest pass completion rate, with 89 per cent.

The only player to have a 100 per cent pass completion rate in one game was David Nugent with 23 passes in the 2-1 win against Burnley.

However, Nugent was caught offside 23 times during the season, the most of any City player.

Not surprisingly, Anthony Knockaert made more dribbles than any other City player with 96, which was 26 per cent of all the side's dribbles.

But the Frenchman was not the most fouled City player. Surprisingly, that was Drinkwater.

In attack, Nugent finished City's top scorer with 14 league goals for the club, but it was strike partner Chris Wood who had the most shots on goal in one match, eight against Bristol City.

The game in which City had the most shots on goal was against Nottingham Forest on the final day of the season, when they had 31 goalscoring attempts.

Lloyd Dyer had the most assists during the campaign with 10, one more than Ben Marshall and two more than Knockaert.

The most corners City won was 16 against both Crystal Palace and Bolton at home, and their longest unbeaten run was eight, in December and January.

In defence, Kasper Schmeichel saved 75 per cent of the shots he faced during the campaign – that was 153 of the 204 shots he had to deal with – while full-back Ritchie De Laet made more tackles than any other City player, 173.

One area in which City have improved is discipline. They received only two red cards last season, shown to Zak Whitbread and Wes Morgan.

Morgan was the player who was penalised the most, 65 times. He was shown four yellow cards in total, and the most bookings City received in one game was four.

Of course, stats can be open to any interpretation and the only stat that really matters in football is the final score.

But, still, they make for interesting reading and might point to an aspect of City's play that could make all the difference next season.

Biggest surprise for me was Dyer top assists!

The Dyer assists thing is interesting considering 'all he does is run'

I thought Ben Marshall being only 1 assist behind him was more interesting given that everyone's in agreement he had a poor season and didn't feature as much as would have liked!

I know a few people on here want rid but i for one hope Ben can settle into the team next year and get a good run of games!! He's got the ability, we just need to see the application!

I thought Ben Marshall being only 1 assist behind him was more interesting given that everyone's in agreement he had a poor season and didn't feature as much as would have liked!

I know a few people on here want rid but i for one hope Ben can settle into the team next year and get a good run of games!! He's got the ability, we just need to see the application!

The newest scapegoat at LCFC.

Because he didn't score many amazing goals he has a shit season. Forget his work rate and assists etc. Welcome to the life of a fickle fan!

Agreed, Marshall's game was different this season but he was hardly shit. He can still pick out a striker's forehead with his crosses. Hopefully NP can accommodate him and Knocks in the team next year.

Because he didn't score many amazing goals he has a shit season. Forget his work rate and assists etc. Welcome to the life of a fickle fan!

You're right, but i think most players have been scapegoats at some point or another this season! When i saw him play, he certainly didn't look as confident and exciting as he did at the back end of last year! From what i saw he was probably a 5/10 this season! Did OK (certainly not as bad as some make out) but we know there's more in the tank. I just hope he gets his head down in pre season and comes out like a new player in August! 

Like i said though, 2nd highest assist rate is very good! Considering most consider Lloyd to have had a solid season with one 1 more assist and Knocky who played alot more had 1 less. 

To me, it highlights that we have the right players capable of taking us up at this club already! Yes we need to get rid of a few, yes we need to pad the squad out a bit, but if players like Marshall can continue to mature, grow into the team and get their heads down and the confidence flowing, we have some very good  players here already and maybe the future isn't as bleak as many make out!

Re Marshell v Dyer. The amount of assists sounds rather low but the amount of game time really needs taking into account. Re Dyer. He really is a one trick pony. His crossing is so suspect that you know what he will do, if he had any worthwhile verity in his deliveries he would be a cracking player. Re Marshell. Still undicided.

Exactly. I hope he can get back in the side. 

Long way to go though as he fell out massively with Pearson towards the back end of last season

"... the most fouled City player. Surprisingly, that was Drinkwater"

Would it be too fanciful to suppose that he was seen as the main playmaker after our opening games, and targeted - clogged out of the game?  That would explain his increasing frailty and ineffectiveness as the season progressed.  Brings into question the protection afforded players by the refs these days, too.

So what did Ben and Nigel fall out over?

Where have those rumours surfaced from?

I'm surprised he got 9 assists but it just goes to show once fans find something negative about a player, they stick with that and it tarnishes over anything positive that that player does. Once the negative seed is sewn, that's it for the player. It takes a lot to get rid of that and it seems the player will never be able to do right in the eyes of some fans.

This goes to show that in the grand scheme of things, fans can't really moan at Marshall. Just like only goals matter for strikers, assists matter a lot for midfielders. Dyer and Marshall, by stats' accounts, had good seasons.  

Just because Marshall didn't score sensational stunners in matches like last season doesn't mean he's worse off as a player. He's still very young for a player (only 22?). We'd be foolish to get rid.

I'm surprised he got 9 assists but it just goes to show once fans find something negative about a player, they stick with that and it tarnishes over anything positive that that player does. Once the negative seed is sewn, that's it for the player. It takes a lot to get rid of that and it seems the player will never be able to do right in the eyes of some fans.

This goes to show that in the grand scheme of things, fans can't really moan at Marshall. Just like only goals matter for strikers, assists matter a lot for midfielders. Dyer and Marshall, by stats' accounts, had good seasons.  

Just because Marshall didn't score sensational stunners in matches like last season doesn't mean he's worse off as a player. He's still very young for a player (only 22?). We'd be foolish to get rid.

He's 21, and i completely agree. 

His attitude isn't exactly fantastic when he's not playing. He played in the development game until half time when we needed to win the league.. May have been against Spurs i think..

But he wasn't happy not playing for the first team and didn't train for the following few days after that. Pearson wasn't pleased to say the least, hence why he wasn't really involved for the last 6 games or so.

Agreed.

Marshall is better at defending than Dyer as well.

I've got no idea but I'd put my money on there being a headbutt involved somewhere.... :rolleyes:

Shocked Nuent was only offside 23 times

Think it's a typing error. Should say an average of 23 times per match.

Either the FoxesTalk stats section or Wikipedia is wrong because one says Marshall is 22 (29th March 1991) and one says he is 21 (29th September 1991).

^Fixed.

I've got no idea but I'd put my money on there being a headbutt involved somewhere.... :rolleyes:

Think it's a typing error. Should say an average of 23 times per match.

Either the FoxesTalk stats section or Wikipedia is wrong because one says he is 22 (29th March 1991) and one says he is 21 (29th September 1991).

Thought you meant Nugent for a second then! They'd both be wrong!

Haha, club site says that Marshall was born on 29 Sept 1991. So 21 years old.

Marshall takes corners and free kicks so he's bound to get more assists

Yet I can only recall us scoring from 1 Marshall corner.

He's 21, and i completely agree. 

His attitude isn't exactly fantastic when he's not playing. He played in the development game until half time when we needed to win the league.. May have been against Spurs i think..

But he wasn't happy not playing for the first team and didn't train for the following few days after that. Pearson wasn't pleased to say the least, hence why he wasn't really involved for the last 6 games or so.

And people wonder why Pearson falls out with the players.

Like I've always said, if most people on here were in Pearson's position, they'd be falling out with most of them too.

In fairness, Marshall gives off the impression he's a bit of a 'billy big bollocks'

The money they get paid, they should do as they're told with no qualms.

The disgusting things I would do to be on the wage they are. I mean disgusting things.

In fairness, Marshall gives off the impression he's a bit of a 'billy big bollocks'

The money they get paid, they should do as they're told with not qualms.

The disgusting things I would do to be on the wage they are. I mean disgusting things.

lol:thumbup:

Archived