Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
allen10

Terry Robinson Officially Appointed Director of Football

You know that as an absolute fact do you? I really doubt that, I remember one of them saying 'We sat down with the gaffer and spoke about about a new contract' on Radio Leicester, doesn't sound like a man to me taking part no part whatsoever in discussions.

Of course the manager is asked on valuations of players and salaries, it's an absurd suggestion to think that they aren't in any way shape or form.

Do you really think Andrew Neville wrote the length of contract out for one of the squad without discussing it with the manager who he plays for? Come on.

Sven said so himself so you are calling him a liar? He said to Ian Stringer he was never involved in contract discussions or involved with financials at the club. Plus what do you think Andrew Neville was doing while Sven was here twiddling his thumbs and getting paid to do nothing as a "football director"?

Guest MattP

Sven said so himself so you are calling him a liar? He said to Ian Stringer he was never involved in contract discussions or involved with financials at the club. 

Oh well if Sven said it it must be true then.

"I never met Chelsea for discussions whilst England manager"

"I never slept with Ulrika Johnson"

"I never slept with Faria Alam"

"I was never involved in finances or contracts at Leicester City".

"

"I'm here," he said with a tight little smile. "I'm staying, of course."

"You'll be asked that a few more times today," one of the receptionists told him before the Swede disappeared to join his fellow directors ahead of yesterday's 2-2 draw against Torquay United"

Some people's naviety is quite incredible, Wellens should have asked for a 15 year deal and 50k a week if his manager was never going to find out about it.

Sven gave the club a list of players to be signed at the start then went on holiday and left them to it.

Sven told the club he wanted players to get the improved contracts and the club were told to do what Sven said by the Thais. Not sure how much negotiation is required when you're offered more years and more money.

Welly and Gally on almost Beckford wages combined.

Oh well if Sven said it it must be true then.

"I never met Chelsea for discussions whilst England manager"

"I never slept with Ulrika Johnson"

"I never slept with Faria Alam"

"I was never involved in finances or contracts at Leicester City".

Some people's naviety is quite incredible, Wellens should have asked for a 15 year deal and 50k a week if his manager was never going to find out about it.

You're coming across as an idiot. You have no idea how modern football works. Football is a business, a huge business worth a lot of money. Manager's in the modern era are not involved in financial discussions.

They are solely responsible for managing and making the club better on the football pitch. Not in the boardroom, not in contract discussions, not in negotiating favourable fees for the club. All they care about is results and team performance because that is what they are judged on by the fans, the club's board and the owners.

Sven wants a player, he says go get me the player, he doesn't care what money is spent that isn't his job, all he cares about is getting the player to improve his squad. Now he knows he has a budget so he can't write "Dear Andrew Neville, go get me Ronaldinho". However he compiles a list of targets, its then Andrew Neville's job to secure these targets and get the best deal for the club. You want to blame someone for picking shit players, blame Sven. You want to blame someone for how much they are paid look at who negotiated the deals.....Andrew Neville.

You're coming across as an idiot. You have no idea how modern football works. Football is a business, a huge business worth a lot of money. Manager's in the modern era are not involved in financial discussions.

They are solely responsible for managing and making the club better on the football pitch. Not in the boardroom, not in contract discussions, not in negotiating favourable fees for the club. All they care about is results and team performance because that is what they are judged on by the fans, the club's board and the owners.

Sven wants a player, he says go get me the player, he doesn't care what money is spent that isn't his job, all he cares about is getting the player to improve his squad. Now he knows he has a budget so he can't write "Dear Andrew Neville, go get me Ronaldinho". However he compiles a list of targets, its then Andrew Neville's job to secure these targets and get the best deal for the club. You want to blame someone for picking shit players, blame Sven. You want to blame someone for how much they are paid look at who negotiated the deals.....Andrew Neville.

I blame both of them, they are both responsible. Don't care if Sven wasn't involved in how much his players were being paid, he should have been in some way. That's just irresponsible.

I'm pretty sure Pearson has a say on what the players he brings in are being paid and how much they are being bought for.

Any manager worth his salt would have known how much we paid for a player, how much we were paying them in wages and would have known it was unsustainable if we didn't achieve promotion. Sven is at fault for not knowing that and putting a stop to it. Can't imagine that happening under Pearson or O'Neill. All parties are at fault and all have to share the blame no matter how much Sven tries to deny it

Guest MattP

Believe me you are coming across far more obtuse than I am. If you are right and Sven didnt know or care how much his players was bought for or paid then I have no words for him as a professional, utterly staggering, inept and selfish. I don't believe that to be the case though.

I'm saying they are all culpable in some way shape of form.

Of course managers produce a list of players and ask someone above to get them, however that isn't the complete end of the dialogue, of course it isn't. If it is that's bad business. Neville and Sven would have spoken every single day about the list and he would have been informed on how it was relating to budget.

There even would have been times when Sven was asked which player he wanted as we could probably afford one of them but not both, he would have needed to be kept up to date as he would have needed to plan his squad (though admittidly how unbalanced it was I severly hope some form of communication broke down.

They are both at fault, they both appear to be completely useless, they are both at best partly responsible for the mess we are in.

Believe me you are coming across far more obtuse than I am. If you are right and Sven didnt know or care how much his players was bought for or paid then I have no words for him as a professional, utterly staggering, inept and selfish. I don't believe that to be the case though.

Of course managers produce a list of players and ask someone above to get them, however that isn't the complete end of the dialogue, of course it isn't. If it is that's bad business. Neville and Sven would have spoken every single day about the list and he would have been informed on how it was relating to budget.

There even would have been times when Sven was asked which player he wanted as we could probably afford one of them but not both, he would have needed to be kept up to date as he would have needed to plan his squad (though admittidly how unbalanced it was I severly hope some form of communication broke down.

They are both at fault, they both appear to be completely useless, they are both at best partly responsible for the mess we are in.

That's all conjecture though, you could quite easily make up a scenario where the owners said to Sven, don't worry about the money we've got it covered (their apparent willingness to gamble means that could be just as likely).

If anyone thinks that the finances of a football club are in anyway handled by former players who have covered one finacial module on their UEFA Pro License you're being extremely naive. It wouldn't happen in any other business. There's obviously a level of trust given to a manager to choose wisely and Sven obviously failed there miserably but you can't level the finances at him.

Ouf.

I see a difference of opinion has descended into petty name calling as usual.

For me this will only end in one outcome: Pearson falling out with this guy and taking his arse in his hand.

And sooner rather than later.

I'm fed up of arguing now because you clearly don't want to understand that football is a business, if you had worked in football you would know I am right. Business people run the business (contracts, fees etc) and the football is managed by "football people" - managers, coaches etc. Sven did not care about the budget, he was never in control of the budget, he was never in charge of anything financial at the club. He was told we want Premiership football by the owners and he was asked to choose players. In some instances he got his first choice and in others he didn't (Nicky Maynard anyone). 

I just hate this "Sven knows nothing he spent so much on average players." No he didn't he chose average players, but he sure as hell didn't negotiate their transfer fee or contract.

I'm fed up of arguing now because you clearly don't want to understand that football is a business, if you had worked in football you would know I am right. Business people run the business (contracts, fees etc) and the football is managed by "football people" - managers, coaches etc. Sven did not care about the budget, he was never in control of the budget, he was never in charge of anything financial at the club. He was told we want Premiership football by the owners and he was asked to choose players. In some instances he got his first choice and in others he didn't (Nicky Maynard anyone). 

I just hate this "Sven knows nothing he spent so much on average players." No he didn't he chose average players, but he sure as hell didn't negotiate their transfer fee or contract.

And that isn't a problem? :blink:

That's all conjecture though, you could quite easily make up a scenario where the owners said to Sven, don't worry about the money we've got it covered (their apparent willingness to gamble means that could be just as likely).

If anyone thinks that the finances of a football club are in anyway handled by former players who have covered one finacial module on their UEFA Pro License you're being extremely naive. It wouldn't happen in any other business. There's obviously a level of trust given to a manager to choose wisely and Sven obviously failed there miserably but you can't level the finances at him.

Thank you someone that understands football. 

Guest MattP

Of course, I have no experience at all in business, managers never have anything to with budgets. If only I worked in football I'd understand. lol Your whole basis for Sven knowing nothing is based on his own comments, the word of a compulsive liar.

How many times have you heard a manager say in an interview when asked about a player they are interested in something along the lines of "We'd like him but we're absolute miles apart in terms of valuation at the minute" It happens al the time.

We'll never know but if you are correct it just shows what even more of a joke he is, how can a person manage his staff when he doesn't even know what wages they are on, absolutely incredible, what a mess.

And that isn't a problem? :blink:

I don't mean he doesn't give a shit if the club goes under from spending £90 million. What I mean is that he produced a list of players and then some of those players were brought in because it could be done within the budget and others weren't brought in because they were too expensive. 

Here is a prime example the ridiculous notion though of people slagging Sven off for spending £1 million to get Michael Johnson here. He wanted Michael Johnson here but he wasn't the one who negotiated the fee. If he was told we can't get Johnson because it's too expensive for the club to do, they would have moved on to another target just like they did with many other players.

The example of Johnson's wages shows the utter f**king incompetence of the relationship between Neville and Sven, and if this was like every single player we brought in during that time period no wonder we are in a financial mess now.

Guest MattP

If anyone thinks that the finances of a football club are in anyway handled by former players who have covered one finacial module on their UEFA Pro License you're being extremely naive. It wouldn't happen in any other business.

But you don't think that the businessman who is shelling out the cash might actually at some point ask the guy who wants to purchase the player how much he thinks they are actually worth?

If one of my staff came to me and asked me they wanted to buy a such and such because they needed it I wouldn't just go out and buy one, I;d ask them how much they think it's worth and then try and get the best deal for that, I wouldn't turn up with the product and then not tell him how much I had paid for it.

Then again maybe I don't understand business. :ph34r:

Of course, I have no experience at all in business, managers never have anything to with budgets. If only I worked in football I'd understand. lol Your whole basis for Sven knowing nothing is based on his own comments, the word of a compulsive liar.

How many times have you heard a manager say in an interview when asked about a player they are interested in something along the lines of "We'd like him but we're absolute miles apart in terms of valuation at the minute" It happens al the time.

We'll never know but if you are correct it just shows what even more of a joke he is, how can a person manage his staff when he doesn't even know what wages they are on, absolutely incredible, what a mess.

He manages THE FOOTBALL, He doesn't manager THE FINANCES. THAT IS WHAT ANDREW NEVILLE'S JOB WAS. Football is unlike any other business. Hence why I said football people manage the football and business people manage the business. You think ex footballers (which many managers are) understand business and are involved in financial dealings? They have agents to negotiate their own contracts for god's sake. Why all of a sudden do you expect them to be financial experts as well as being good football managers?

Thank you someone that understands football. 

That's not "understanding football".

That's an understanding of the business side of a company. Do you think Susan Whelan understands football like Nigel Pearson does? No. Pearson understands football, Whelan understands Business.  That's why they're in the specific jobs they're in.

Guest MattP

He manages THE FOOTBALL, He doesn't manager THE FINANCES. THAT IS WHAT ANDREW NEVILLE'S JOB WAS. Football is unlike any other business. Hence why I said football people manage the football and business people manage the business. You think ex footballers (which many managers are) understand business and are involved in financial dealings? They have agents to negotiate their own contracts for god's sake. Why all of a sudden do you expect them to be financial experts as well as being good football managers?

No but I expect them to have an opinion of what a player they want to buy is worth.

I wouldn't expect to appoint a manager at Leicester City and then have a shortlist of Xavi, Iniesta and Messi delivered to me whilst a gormless face asked me if we can get and afford them.

That's not "understanding football".

That's an understanding of the business side of a company. Do you think Susan Whelan understands football like Nigel Pearson does? No. Pearson understands football, Whelan understands Business.  That's why they're in the specific jobs they're in.

Come on Bert you know football now is not just what's on the pitch. What I am trying to get people to understand is that football manager's such as Pearson and Sven are in control of the football operation. They have no say in the financial dealings away from that. 

Archived