Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatsHisName

The Plantagenet Alliance Vs Leicester re Richard III

Wasn't mostly in Lincolnshire. It is a legend but there may have been rebels of some sort if King john was as bad as they say and the Lords of the land treated the people pretty badly making them pay taxes they never had. I imagine 'Robin Hood' to be someone that robbed the wealthy then kept most of it himself thus the poor would be blamed when they were found with some of the loot.

Makes a much better story.

Wasn't mostly in Lincolnshire. It is a legend but there may have been rebels of some sort if King john was as bad as they say and the Lords of the land treated the people pretty badly making them pay taxes they never had. I imagine 'Robin Hood' to be someone that robbed the wealthy then kept most of it himself thus the poor would be blamed when they were found with some of the loot.

Makes a much better story.

Yeah he was probably a tory willy puller.

Well he was a yorkshire la' - at least Nottingham still have an undisputed claim to Harold Shipman.

:D

And they get so excited about Robin Hood and Sherwood forest. All you find there is some trees and a fat bloke pretending to be Robin Hood.

Ans have you heard about King Richards drinking ?    

King Richard III ‘drank a bottle of wine a day’ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11040811/King-Richard-III-drank-a-bottle-of-wine-a-day.html

Ans have you heard about King Richards drinking ?    

King Richard III ‘drank a bottle of wine a day’ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11040811/King-Richard-III-drank-a-bottle-of-wine-a-day.html

I'd heard about Good King Richard, but this was news to me....

"Richard III, who was was killed at the Battle of Bosworth in August 1485, is far from the only English monarch to have enjoyed a tipple.

At Hampton Court Palace, Henry VIII spent £3,000 (equivalent to £900,000) a year replenishing his cellar, while Queen Anne was nicknamed ‘dramshop’ for her gin consumption. Even prudish Queen Victoria enjoyed a claret – usually with a splash of malt whiskey in it, much to prime minister William Gladstone's disgust.

Our Queen enjoys a few more drinks than Government recommendations allow for, too: according to her cousin, Margaret Rhodes, she partakes daily of a gin and Dubonnet before lunch, wine with lunch, and a dry Martini and a glass of champagne in the evening. Old King Richard would probably approve."

So that's what Brenda gets up to when the Buck House curtains are closed... Just like the Queen Mum. She used to get it down her neck, too! No wonder we have this problem with lager louts. Starts from the top.  :whistle:

Even though I'm off the booze myself, I rather approve of all this - and feel the need for a burst of Tenpole Tudor (singularly inappropriate band name in the context):

How seriously they are now taking this Robin Hood business in Yorkshire. They never said a word about it before, allowing nottingham to claim he was theirs, now they are not only claming that he was from Yorkshire, but they claim they know where he's buried. What a bunch of idiots.

How seriously they are now taking this Robin Hood business in Yorkshire. They never said a word about it before, allowing nottingham to claim he was theirs, now they are not only claming that he was from Yorkshire, but they claim they know where he's buried. What a bunch of idiots.

Doncaster is closer to Sherwood forest than Nottingham, they even called their airport Doncaster Robin Hood Airport. They'll probably try and claim red leicester and pork pies as their own if this attempt to get Robin Hood doesn't work out.

Doncaster is closer to Sherwood forest than Nottingham, they even called their airport Doncaster Robin Hood Airport. They'll probably try and claim red leicester and pork pies as their own if this attempt to get Robin Hood doesn't work out.

Didn't they try to claim the space centre once?

I thought it had been common knowledge for years that the thief was from somewhere near Sheffield?

yeah, robin in old of his stories passeed as Robin of Loxley which is a villiage just outside sheffield. And little john is buried at Hathersage nearby. So Yorkshire does have a good claim I think....ha ha snottingham

Found a couple of links to robin Hood (in amusing stories) During those times 1300-1500 there were outlaws and various stories passed dow.One was called Robyn Hoode (sp) but not at the time of king John. Friar Tuck there are also stories one of them as a  childhood friend of John. Once when playing chess John smashed the chess board over his friends head who gave him a punch. John went crying to his father who punished him for being a wimp. (sounds familiar?) It is in the article.

If he did live there would be several graves as all the stories are mixed to make the name legendary and him as a hero.

Bit like that hippie fellow that went around in a nightdress and sandals.

International Robin Hood Day will be held in Nottingham next month, and how excited they are getting in Nottingham about that, but with all the new evidence in the papers now about how he was actually from  Doncaster, the people of Nottingham are looking a bit stupid now. I'm almost tempted to feel sorry for them

Guest bss9401

Is there any proof that Robin Hood actually existed?

None whatsoever. The earliest references are of 'robbing hoodes' of the forest tracks (seriously!). The poems and stories grew wings and eventually formed the myth. Anyone, from anywhere who claims that the story is true is doing it for their own ends.

Archived