Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatsHisName

The Plantagenet Alliance Vs Leicester re Richard III

Our 'friends' up north stooping to new lows, advising people to give the KRIII visitors centre 1 star reviews

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-28559434

It seems that a sizeable proportion of them aren't from up North. Having read the letters pages and comments in the local papers it seems that many of the people of York and Yorkshire want nothing to do with these cretins. They are clearly historically challenged and seem to have devoted their lives to trawling the internet looking for ways to denigrate the city of Leicester and it's population. I have read many racist comments and have been physically threatened just for challenging their vile campaign.

I can only hope this latest episode has finally exposed them.

It's also in the Mercury .... http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Online-trolls-target-new-Richard-centre/story-22013448-detail/story.html

Richard III's armour criticised for looking like a Star Wars stormtrooper

By Leicester Mercury  |  Posted: July 30, 2014

By Dan Martin

• 6560162-large.jpg

The replica of Richard III's armour

• 6560388-large.jpg

Star Wars stormtrooper, left, Richard III replica, right

• 6560162-large.jpg

The replica of Richard III's armour

• 6560388-large.jpg

Star Wars stormtrooper, left, Richard III replica, right

Comments (0)

A replica of Richard III’s armour at the new visitor centre, in Leicester, has been criticised for resembling a Star Wars stormtrooper.

The exhibit – painted white and topped with a crown – was described as grotesque by historian Annette Carson.

Ms Carson, author of Richard III: The Maligned King and a member of the Looking for Richard Project team which was involved in the search for the king, said she was unhappy with the way the monarch has been depicted in the £4 million visitor centre in St Martin’s.

She said: “Grotesque exhibits include the white painted depiction of the king’s armour, resembling a stormtrooper from Star Wars, despite representatives from the council and university having attended a presentation by (renowned medieval re-enactor) Dr Tobias Capwell in March where he described his armour and illustrated its probable appearance.”

Ms Carson said the project team was “saddened and profoundly disappointed” by the Leicester exhibition, that their contributions to the centre had been overlooked and that a projected image of the king’s remains in his grave was “ghoulish”.

The city council said the armour was not intended to be an exact replica of that worn by Richard at Bosworth in 1485 but was to explain the injuries he suffered.

It is part of a section analysing the wounds on Richard’s body, to help visitors understand the likely reason so many of them are to the head.

It said the armour was presented like a scientific model, in keeping with the hi-tech “discovery” element of the exhibition, rather than as an historic artefact.

A council spokeswoman said: “Many people have commented on the striking white colour of the armour.

“This is in keeping with the presentation of the upper floors and has helped to create a stunning presentation.”

Liz Blyth, director of culture and neighbourhood services, said: “The Looking For Richard Project has made a wonderful contribution to our visitor centre.

“We have had to retain editorial control over the exhibition in terms of style and content, and we are disappointed if the Looking for Richard team feels we haven't fully reflected its important contribution.

“We have, however, offered to see how we can address this as the exhibition settles in.

“We are sure that when everyone sees the exhibition they will recognise and appreciate the incredible achievement of the Looking For Richard project team.”

Iain Gordon, director of the visitor centre said feedback from visitors since the weekend’s opening had been overwhelmingly positive, with visitors finding the exhibition exciting, informative and very moving.

He said: “We will be fine-tuning the exhibition over the coming weeks and we welcome all constructive feedback from visitors to help us to do this.”

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Richard-III-s-armour-attack-looking-like-Star/story-22018517-detail/story.html#ixzz38yB6c2Ah

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Richard-III-s-armour-attack-looking-like-Star/story-22018517-detail/story.html#3PE02FHG4b4ggg7Y.99

It seems that a sizeable proportion of them aren't from up North. Having read the letters pages and comments in the local papers it seems that many of the people of York and Yorkshire want nothing to do with these cretins. They are clearly historically challenged and seem to have devoted their lives to trawling the internet looking for ways to denigrate the city of Leicester and it's population. I have read many racist comments and have been physically threatened just for challenging their vile campaign.

It's also in the Mercury .... http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Online-trolls-target-new-Richard-centre/story-22013448-detail/story.html

Looks like a few of the anti-Leicester mob have been leaving comments on that Mercury page as well. 

Have to agree that the Storm Trooper armour isn't the best, surely they could get some proper metal armour made up for the display.

Looks like a few of the anti-Leicester mob have been leaving comments on that Mercury page as well. 

Have to agree that the Storm Trooper armour isn't the best, surely they could get some proper metal armour made up for the display.

I haven't been yet but those that have tell me that it fits in with the deliberate white clinical lab theme in the upstairs 'Discovery' section. It's not meant to show what Richard III going into battle at Bosworth would've looked like.

From an expert ...

I haven’t seen this for myself yet – but I’ve seen plenty of photographs and a good deal of huffing and puffing over the replica of Richard III’s suit of armour at the recently-opened Visitor Centre in Leicester.

The bone of contention, (apart from the replica’s authenticity, on which I don’t feel qualified to comment), is that it’s painted white, looks more like a Star Wars storm-trooper than the last Plantagenet king, and is therefore somehow insulting to his memory.

The critics do have a point, up to a point – it’s not particularly attractive. However, as a former museum conservator, I do feel qualified to comment on the likely rationale behind this choice of display technique, because it’s not an uncommon one. From the images I’ve seen, the ‘armour’ looks like a teaching resource: there are numbered labels stuck to it at various points, which I assume tie into a key naming the various pieces and possibly giving information about them. It is painted white to show up well in the dimly-lit display case, to allow the labels to be seen and read easily, and most importantly, to make quite clear that this is a REPLICA – that the Visitor Centre designers have not defaced a real suit of historical armour by sticking adhesive labels all over it. A comparable technique is frequently deployed when original artefacts – ceramic vessels, wall-paintings or whatever – are reassembled by conservators and gap-filled with modern materials painted in a different colour; the intention is not to con the viewer into thinking the item was found complete and in perfect condition, but to differentiate between the historic fabric and the modern reconstruction.

I further assume that the designers chose a white colour-scheme for the replica in an attempt to avoid complaints by visitors who might otherwise believe that it is Richard III’s real armour, and that it has been treated inappropriately; so I bet the poor souls are gobsmacked by the flood of ferocious complaint it has nonetheless provoked.

http://murreyandblue.wordpress.com/2014/07/30/richard-iiis-armour-at-the-new-leicester-visitor-centre/

If you receive genuinely threatening or racist comments from these deranged simpletons, report them to the police.

The law seems to have started taking these sort of things seriously, eg. recent Twitter racism cases.

Be nice to see some of these lunatics picking up litter in orange jumpsuits. Or better still, banged up in Leicester Prison for a couple of months. Then they can moan about how much they hate the place.

Give it time they will get fed up and crawl back under the maggot infested stone they came from.

Not visited it yet but I went while they were waiting. I will be sure to give it a 5 star even if I think it deserves less. The more people that praise it the less credible the 'York' mob ratings will be. You only have to look at their locations to see something fishy.

From an expert ...

I haven’t seen this for myself yet – but I’ve seen plenty of photographs and a good deal of huffing and puffing over the replica of Richard III’s suit of armour at the recently-opened Visitor Centre in Leicester.

The bone of contention, (apart from the replica’s authenticity, on which I don’t feel qualified to comment), is that it’s painted white, looks more like a Star Wars storm-trooper than the last Plantagenet king, and is therefore somehow insulting to his memory.

The critics do have a point, up to a point – it’s not particularly attractive. However, as a former museum conservator, I do feel qualified to comment on the likely rationale behind this choice of display technique, because it’s not an uncommon one. From the images I’ve seen, the ‘armour’ looks like a teaching resource: there are numbered labels stuck to it at various points, which I assume tie into a key naming the various pieces and possibly giving information about them. It is painted white to show up well in the dimly-lit display case, to allow the labels to be seen and read easily, and most importantly, to make quite clear that this is a REPLICA – that the Visitor Centre designers have not defaced a real suit of historical armour by sticking adhesive labels all over it. A comparable technique is frequently deployed when original artefacts – ceramic vessels, wall-paintings or whatever – are reassembled by conservators and gap-filled with modern materials painted in a different colour; the intention is not to con the viewer into thinking the item was found complete and in perfect condition, but to differentiate between the historic fabric and the modern reconstruction.

I further assume that the designers chose a white colour-scheme for the replica in an attempt to avoid complaints by visitors who might otherwise believe that it is Richard III’s real armour, and that it has been treated inappropriately; so I bet the poor souls are gobsmacked by the flood of ferocious complaint it has nonetheless provoked.

http://murreyandblue.wordpress.com/2014/07/30/richard-iiis-armour-at-the-new-leicester-visitor-centre/

I think that is a very fair report - clearly it's white to mark the injuries and nothing more sinister. Also worth adding that if these people had actually visited they'd see that another reason it is white is to fit in with the 'scientific lab' style of the upstairs part of the centre.

Idiots.

Found out today that there is an entry charge. Thought it was going to be free did they not promote the petition on that?

York are charging we won't

There's no charge to enter Leicester Cathedral where he'll be reinterred, there is a charge to enter York Minster where they wanted him reburied.

It's £8 to get into York Richard III museum.

Are you sure? We checked today because a friend was told there was an entrance fee. It is frun by a trust which is partly profit making.

The visitor centre charges for the display, when re-interred there will be no charge to go and see the tomb at leicester cathedral.

Funnily enough I was thinking about a visit tomorrow. Will post what I think when I've been.

Are you sure? We checked today because a friend was told there was an entrance fee. It is frun by a trust which is partly profit making.

That's the museum for Richard III

The charge is the exhibit, not the cathedral. Just checked the website of the cathedral, no pages on prices for entry. That's the part that's free, you can see his tomb for free here.

So just to make it clear.

Leicester cathedral, where he will be reinterred: FREE

York Minster, where they wanted him reinterred: £15

That's what the petition was arguing was free compared to York

Leicester exhibit on Richard III: £7.95

Yorks Richard III museum: £8

These are the top price for adults, children and OAP's might be less.

Ok thats where the confusion was. My friend said that she refuses to pay for something that is educational/

That is her not me. TBH I am not too bothered about the tomb and I went to the exhibition before it had finished nd before the bickering. It was free then. How much it has change I can;t say but it was display cases showing where he was found. More about the dig.

Won't pay for something that is educational? What a weird attitude to take

Maybe but museums and libraries are free as a rule. I never said I agreed but I can understand the reasoning. After all what is classed as educational;? Evening casses are and they are paid for. I think she was referring mainly to attractions.

Won't pay for something that is educational? What a weird attitude to take

Totally, sounds like they'd pay to go to a film or another purely recreational time filler but balk at paying to learn something, pretty dumb attitude.

Totally, sounds like they'd pay to go to a film or another purely recreational time filler but balk at paying to learn something, pretty dumb attitude.

Put like that it does sound a little silly. never had time to discuss it and it was forgotten instantly as other matters were discussed.

Maybe but museums and libraries are free as a rule. I never said I agreed but I can understand the reasoning. After all what is classed as educational;? Evening casses are and they are paid for. I think she was referring mainly to attractions.

No I'm not having a pop Ken, I just can't really understand it myself. 

I went to the visitor centre today, well worth the £8. A good use of video and interactive display, it told the story of the battle and the dig well, the projection onto the former grave was interesting And well presented. The recreated bust, the printed skeleton and the dig site were all worth seeing.

I think the whole visitor centre is a well conceived idea.

On the armour, it is clear throughout the rest of the exhibition in the pictures and paintings that nobody thinks richard iii wore white armour! The white armour being cleat a teaching resource in my opinion (rather like re skeletons with white bones you get).

On an aside a like very much what they are doing to that part of town, it's starting to have a much better look and feel to it.

I may take a look then. Its not as if I'm going to go every week. I have only visited the Space centre Once or twice when it first opened. That was charge and I thought it VFM so why not> I can say I;ve been then. Something to do in my old age.

I may take a look then. Its not as if I'm going to go every week. I have only visited the Space centre Once or twice when it first opened. That was charge and I thought it VFM so why not> I can say I;ve been then. Something to do in my old age.

I enjoyed it and would recommend everyone went at least once. It's nice to see leicester do something like this well.

I would definitely plan to spend a couple of hours their.

Archived