Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatsHisName

The Plantagenet Alliance Vs Leicester re Richard III

I'd like to know what they are saying in Nottingham about the Yorkshire claims, does anybody have any links to any sites from nottingham where you can read what they have to say about all of this ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2749136/Was-Robin-Hood-YORKSHIRE-Outlaw-ties-county-Nottinghamshire-claims-expert.html

Apologies for a link to the Daily Fail, there are some comments at the bottom of the article, both for and against Nottingham. Typical DM comments though so nothing to take seriously.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2749136/Was-Robin-Hood-YORKSHIRE-Outlaw-ties-county-Nottinghamshire-claims-expert.html

Apologies for a link to the Daily Fail, there are some comments at the bottom of the article, both for and against Nottingham. Typical DM comments though so nothing to take seriously.

borisbat, Nottingham, United Kingdom, 3 days ago'
''Yorkshire is as a useless county full of peasants who cost the uk more than the scots''

I suppose that is the type of thing that should be expect from them. Yorkshire were slapped down in their attempt to get OUR king, and nottingham are just getting embarrassed about how pitiful they now look. Can you believe notingham used to be rivals of our who thought they were better than us?

How seriously they are now taking this Robin Hood business in Yorkshire. They never said a word about it before, allowing nottingham to claim he was theirs, now they are not only claming that he was from Yorkshire, but they claim they know where he's buried. What a bunch of idiots.

I have actually read a book about the real Robin Hood, who like Dick Turpin, was merely an unpleasant ruffian.

The author, who researched him, states that he did in fact come from Yorkshire, and not Nottinghamshire.

I have actually read a book about the real Robin Hood, who like Dick Turpin, was merely an unpleasant ruffian.

The author, who researched him, states that he did in fact come from Yorkshire, and not Nottinghamshire.

Leeds fans haven't changed much down the centuries, then...

''Hands off our hero! Chad sends message to Yorkshire to leave Robin Hood in Notts''http://www.chad.co.uk/news/local/hands-off-our-hero-chad-sends-message-to-yorkshire-to-leave-robin-hood-in-notts-1-6844205

It's quite funny reading how upset they seem to be getting about this

'Sherwood MP Mark Spencer was one of the first to react to Yorkshire’s attempts to hijack our hero.

He told Chad: “It’s really difficult to comment without swearing!''

Leicester was NEVER mentioned outside this country in the past. People in places such as America had heard og nottingham because of the robin hood myth, but Leicester was NEVER mentioned in the USA. Now things aree different, and more keeps getting discovered about him. which certainly interests Americans, such as this on  the CNN site yesterday:  

''King Richard III's bones reveal fatal blows, scientists say''http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/16/world/europe/richard-iii-bones-injuries/

Leicester was NEVER mentioned outside this country in the past. People in places such as America had heard og nottingham because of the robin hood myth, but Leicester was NEVER mentioned in the USA. Now things aree different, and more keeps getting discovered about him. which certainly interests Americans, such as this on the CNN site yesterday:

''King Richard III's bones reveal fatal blows, scientists say''http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/16/world/europe/richard-iii-bones-injuries/

There is a town called Leicester in the USA, so I'm sure someone over there has heard of us. I know what you saying though. When I lived in Australia I was well happy when I found Melton Mowbray stilton cheese in the supermarket.

Leicester was NEVER mentioned outside this country in the past. People in places such as America had heard og nottingham because of the robin hood myth, but Leicester was NEVER mentioned in the USA. Now things aree different, and more keeps getting discovered about him. which certainly interests Americans, such as this on  the CNN site yesterday:  

In 1944 some 15000 paratroopers of the US 82nd Airborne Division were billeted in Leicestershire, along with hundreds of USAAF personnel. Having met some of the familes of these veterans I can tell you that many many thousands of US citizens know where Leicester is and know a good deal about our city and county. Maybe not as many as those who think they know about Nottingham/Robin Hood, but these people have great respect for Leicester.

In 1944 some 15000 paratroopers of the US 82nd Airborne Division were billeted in Leicestershire, along with hundreds of USAAF personnel. Having met some of the familes of these veterans I can tell you that many many thousands of US citizens know where Leicester is and know a good deal about our city and county. Maybe not as many as those who think they know about Nottingham/Robin Hood, but these people have great respect for Leicester.

My mates dad was a war baby, his mum was from Leicester and his dad was a U.S. Airborne soldier, the soldier was married in Georgia and never acknowledged his son which meant that my mate ended up being refused residency in Florida and deported, I've gone a bit Ken on this

Interesting, thanks for that. Where were they based. Being born in Melton I was reading about RAF Melton Mowbray recently, now just an industrial estate and bank holiday market.

• 4 weeks later...

Richard III reinterment: Details king's final ceremonial route through Leicestershire revelaed

By PA_Warzynski  |  Posted: October 14, 2014

7068359-large.jpg

The rose-laying ceremony at the Battlefield Heritage Centre on August 22, commemorating the Battle of Bosworth

Comments (0)

The ceremonial route that the remains of King Richard III will take as he is transported from the University of Leicester to St Martin’s cathedral before his reinterment has been announced today.

The remains of the king have been held securely at the university following their discovery under a car park in Leicester in August 2012.

On Sunday, March 22, 2015, a hearse will leave the university during the late morning and travel to Fenn Lane Farm, reputedly the site of King Richard’s death, before moving on to nearby village parish churches of Dadlington and Sutton Cheney.

The cortege will visit Dadlington as some of the battle-dead are buried in the churchyard of St James’ the Greater.

Sutton Cheney has been chosen because it is believed that King Richard took his final mass at St James’ church on the eve of the battle.

The Bishop of Leicester, the Rt Revd Tim Stevens, will then lead a short ceremony at the Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre in the early afternoon.

The cortege will then go on to Market Bosworth, Newbold Verdon and Desford as it makes its way back to Leicester.

A spokesman for the Leicester Cathedral Quarter Partnership Board said: “We are now working closely with partners in the district and the parishes to plan the detail of how the passing of the cortege will be marked.”

The king’s mortal remains will re-enter the city in mid-afternoon at Bow Bridge, where they will be greeted by the City Mayor Sir Peter Soulsby, and the Lord Mayor Councillor John Thomas.

A horse-drawn hearse will then be used to complete the final section of the king’s journey from Bow Bridge through the city centre to the cathedral, where the Dean of Leicester, the Very Revd David Monteith, will meet the coffin just before 6pm.

Dr Richard Buckley, lead archaeologist in the hunt for Richard’s remains, will then formally pass of the Ministry of Justice licence - granted to the university for the remains of the king - to the Dean of Leicester.

At that point, the responsibility for the king passes from the university to the church.

King Richard’s coffin will be carried into the cathedral for an evening service of Compline, at which the Catholic Archbishop of Westminster, Cardinal Vincent Nichols, will preach the sermon.

King Richard’s remains will lie in repose within the cathedral on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, during which time members of the public will be invited to visit the cathedral to pray and pay their respects.

The re-burial service will take place on Thursday March 26.

Provisional timetable for the day

12.00 Departure from University of Leicester

Pausing at: Fenn Lane Farm, Dadlington, Sutton Cheney churches

14.00 Short ceremony Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre

Departure via through Market Bosworth, Newbold Verdon and Desford.

16.00 Bow Bridge event

17.45 Arrival at Leicester Cathedral

18.00 Evening worship (Compline)

Other Events during the week

Monday 23rd to Wednesday 25th: The mortal remains of King Richard III will lie in repose in Leicester Cathedral. The public are welcome to come pray and pay their respects during daylight hours.

Monday 23rd March: Cardinal Nichols will celebrate Mass for the repose of the soul (a ‘Requiem Mass’) for Richard III in Holy Cross Church, the Catholic parish church and Dominican priory in Leicester city centre. The Choir from St Barnabas’ Cathedral, the Cathedral of the Diocese of Nottingham, will sing at this Mass, which will be open to the public.

Thursday 26th March: The mortal remains of Richard III will be re-interred in Leicester Cathedral, with an invited congregation and in the presence of the Most Rt Revd Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury, senior clergy, other Christian denominations and representatives of the World Faiths.

Friday 27th March: People from across the city of Leicester and the county of Leicestershire will be invited to gather in the Cathedral to see the tomb revealed and celebrate the future. 

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Richard-III-reinterment-Details-king-s-final/story-23151558-detail/story.html#ixzz3G7IlsLVL 

Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Richard-III-reinterment-Details-king-s-final/story-23151558-detail/story.html#4M9FOx9SVqxfOfri.99

Richard III reinterment: Details king's final ceremonial route through Leicestershire revelaed

By PA_Warzynski  |  Posted: October 14, 2014

7068359-large.jpg

The rose-laying ceremony at the Battlefield Heritage Centre on August 22, commemorating the Battle of Bosworth

Comments (0)

The ceremonial route that the remains of King Richard III will take as he is transported from the University of Leicester to St Martin’s cathedral before his reinterment has been announced today.

March 26.

Provisional timetable for the day

This will be amazing, and even though this will be on Channel 4 a lot of it will be shown live around the world on news channels

• 3 weeks later...

Blimey, even better than Stonehenge Visitor Centre ..... http://kingrichardinleicester.com/visitor-centre-wins-major-uk-tourism-award/

It's worth a couple of hours if only to see the grave :thumbup:

I've been, didn't think much to it. It even had  disposable overalls as part of the exhibition because they were the type the archaeologists wore. seemed like they were just trying to fill the exhibition with anything. 

Blimey, even better than Stonehenge Visitor Centre ..... http://kingrichardinleicester.com/visitor-centre-wins-major-uk-tourism-award/

It's worth a couple of hours if only to see the grave :thumbup:

Ever since it opened there has been great praise for it nationally, and even though everybody will not like it, we have something to be proud of and it will bring in visitors to Lhttp://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-s-King-Richard-III-centre-wins-national/story-24115047-detail/story.htmleicester from all over the country and different  parts of the world. How jealous they must be in York and notingham

''Leicester's King Richard III centre wins national tourism award'' http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-s-King-Richard-III-centre-wins-national/story-24115047-detail/story.html

Archived