Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FuriousFox46

The Death of Music

You've changed your tune a bit Finners :D

But no, I do agree with what you are saying. I've started looking a bit deeper into punk now although Green Day remain my favourites. I guess that's what you mean when  you say Green Day are a gateway.

Just out of interest, what songs did Green Day play?

Haha, no, not changing my tune. Firstly, there are bands I dislike that I recognize put on a terrific live show but secondly I've never really hated Green Day per se, they're sort of a guilty pleasure, a band I know are pretty shoddy really but are likeable all the same. I feel largely the same about Blink, however I do feel that Blink's self titled (yet unconventionally final, pre-hiatus anyway) album is actually - musically - underrated and quite fresh.

As for Reading, they played Dookie in full (to mark it's 20th anniversary next year) which amusingly emptied a good portion of the children from the crowd. Before Dookie they played the obvious classics hits from American Idiot (Holiday, Boulevard, September.) I have to say, Wake Me Up When September Ends might be the pinnacle of a "punk" band selling it's soul to pop music but it makes for a brilliant sing along and the crowd were staggeringly up for it. They ended with a surprisingly short encore of American Idiot and Jesus of Suburbia. 

It was a step down from their 2005 / 2004 (I can't remember which) set where they played for hours and took cover requests from the crowd but it was still some of the best showmanship of the weekend, to be fair.

35+ years ago my Dad knew what was in the charts and was educated by Top of the pops whilst I was watching stuff like the Old Grey Whistle test - 35 years on I struggle to understand 95% of today's music unlike my Dad and mainly only listen to stuff from my LP / CD buying days.

Rock is Dead - Long Live Rock !

It's obvious that chart music had definitely narrowed in recent years. It's either drum and bass, dubstep or pop. Used to keep pretty updated on the charts a few years back but then just listened to what I like. Muse, Nirvana, that B.O.B is good as well.

There seems to be a lot less soul to music now as well. Chart music's lyrics tend to cover being in the club, meeting in the club, being cheated on, apologising for cheating and being in love. It get's pretty monotonous. I find it better just to look songs and bands up and choose what you like. I haven't known a chart no.1 for a couple years now.

We can all talk about the trendy bands we like, but at the end of the day, in Krystals on a Thursday and hearing, 'Jitterbug' always had a smile on my face. Pop music is awful but its nothing to cry about or be ashamed to listen to if its on.

People can blame Xfactor or Pop Idol for music being gash, but the bottom line is if someone was writing music that was worth shouting about, it would get heard. But theres not. So it doesnt. Which is a shame but there you go.

Oi! I may apparently look the wrong side of 30, but I am of todays generation. General chart gubbins and the wotsit-dipped twats that listen to it may not have a clue, but there are plenty of the younger generation who know r'n'b.

Yeh I was talking mainly about the teenagers nowadays. You say r n b, they say rhinna, i say Buddy Guy!

Is music dead? NO

Is there a lot of sh*t music? YES in MY opinion.

Lets face it, what I think is crap, is completely different to what you all think is crap. Yeah I think the xfactor is damaging music but it's not really aimed at me. I don't like it so I don't watch it. I also think a lot of us are just music snobs. We get set in our ways and don't open our ears to other music styles/genres. Whether it be "they don't play instruments" or "there stuffs too poppy," that to me is what makes music so wonderful and diverse. That's why I love youtube. Find some gems on there.

My personal opinion is that I prefer to go see bands live and was bought up listening to rock music, some heavy metal all the way up to Oasis and Blur. Since then I have adapted the music taste gathered from my parents and listen to all sorts. So my MP3 contains anything from the beatles, Stones, Dylan, Led Zepplin & The Clash all the way up to Oasis, Eminem, Skrillex (who I actually enjoyed at Reading but still..) & Greenday.

Personally I embrace music and will give everything a listen. I try not to slag certain genres and artists off just because it's not my cup of tea.

Musics got crap since the fall of bands like the verve, the seahorsrs, ocean colour scene and kula shaker.

It also doesn't help how todays generation have no idea of the original concept of R n B

I agree to a certain sense, the whole britpop scene (terrible name I know) was exciting, kids starting bands up, people going to gigs and the US monopoly was being eroded, it wasn't just the music but art, fashion and even film.  Since the mid 90's nothing has come along to create a similiar cultural change, the terrible nu-metal and pop punk bands started to creep in and the USA again started to dominate.  I thought when the arctic monkeys hit the scene it might have a similiar effect that Oasis, suede, pulp,blur had in the mid 90's but it just didn't happen.

I agree to a certain sense, the whole britpop scene (terrible name I know) was exciting, kids starting bands up, people going to gigs and the US monopoly was being eroded, it wasn't just the music but art, fashion and even film. Since the mid 90's nothing has come along to create a similiar cultural change, the terrible nu-metal and pop punk bands started to creep in and the USA again started to dominate. I thought when the arctic monkeys hit the scene it might have a similiar effect that Oasis, suede, pulp,blur had in the mid 90's but it just didn't happen.

I think the problem with the Arctic Monkeys was they were good but not inspirational. Liam Gallagher is a bellend but when he and Noel did interviews, they always said or did something that lit a spark and you new that the council house background was genuine as you couldn't help but be inspired. Thats what bands now lack. They all grew up in prosperous times in a comfortable lifestyle, and whilst they are all lyrically clever and musically sound, there really isnt any meat on the bones.

I think the problem with the Arctic Monkeys was they were good but not inspirational. Liam Gallagher is a bellend but when he and Noel did interviews, they always said or did something that lit a spark and you new that the council house background was genuine as you couldn't help but be inspired. Thats what bands now lack. They all grew up in prosperous times in a comfortable lifestyle, and whilst they are all lyrically clever and musically sound, there really isnt any meat on the bones.

I like the Arctic Monkeys, and I like Alex Turner, but I don't see him as a real rockstar... You know, the likes of Bob Dylan, Morrissey, John Lennon, David Bowie etc. They have that little bit of edge to them, you never knew what they were going to do and they expressed what they felt and didn't give a damn. 

I like the Arctic Monkeys, and I like Alex Turner, but I don't see him as a real rockstar... You know, the likes of Bob Dylan, Morrissey, John Lennon, David Bowie etc. They have that little bit of edge to them, you never knew what they were going to do and they expressed what they felt and didn't give a damn.

Agree with that completely.

The closest thing we've had to Britpop since it finished was that little burst of bands that came into the limelight after Is This It in the early-mid noughties. The Libertines, Bloc Party, Kasabian, The Cribs (in the latter stages Arctics, Maximo Park, Klaxons) etc. Seemed to last a good few years, and though there was as much guff knocking around then (Razorlight, The Kooks) as there is now - it was great to see bands take up a big share of the charts as opposed to David Guetta, 'get on the floor' type Europop.

Whether or not you regard that as 'music's death' depends on whether or not you take the charts and record sales seriously and can't appreciate that trends come and go. There's great music being made every day, with services like Spotify and last.fm it's easier to find than ever - I personally think music's thriving.

@Fox92 - Regarding Alex Turner - I think he's brilliant but the whole band have never 'interviewed well,' if that makes sense. Could be why you're opinion is such. Anyone that has knocked around with Alexa Chung is an immediate hero in my book.

Wrong, with Lennon you knew he'd a poser **** who honestly didn't care about what he was actually saying, as well as being a hypocritical arse.

Still, if being a wife-beating egotist is what's needed to be a rock-star then I'd honestly rather we stuck to the likes of Lemmy - general nice guy who just enjoys himself - and had a few less rock stars.

Wrong, with Lennon you knew he'd a poser **** who honestly didn't care about what he was actually saying, as well as being a hypocritical arse.

Still, if being a wife-beating egotist is what's needed to be a rock-star then I'd honestly rather we stuck to the likes of Lemmy - general nice guy who just enjoys himself - and had a few less rock stars.

Some things he said were questionable but generally a very funny and witty guy.

I think he admitted to hitting once (I'd like to know how many haven't actually admitted doing it), but would then reflect it in his music. 'Jealous Guy' is the great example of this and it's a beautiful song. Although I ain't that interested in their personal life, just like with footballers.

Your idea of rock stars might be different to mine. I think Lemmy is one, but didn't use him as an example because I'm not into his music. The examples I used are all bigger icons anyway. I like music for the words, and the poetry, which is why I'm into Lennon, Dylan, Morrissey, Ray Davies etc.

Some things he said were questionable but generally a very funny and witty guy.

I think he admitted to hitting once (I'd like to know how many haven't actually admitted doing it), but would then reflect it in his music. 'Jealous Guy' is the great example of this and it's a beautiful song. Although I ain't that interested in their personal life, just like with footballers.

Your idea of rock stars might be different to mine. I think Lemmy is one, but didn't use him as an example because I'm not into his music. The examples I used are all bigger icons anyway. I like music for the words, and the poetry, which is why I'm into Lennon, Dylan, Morrissey, Ray Davies etc.

Some things? He was a massive hypocrite and happy to whitewash history to stroke his own ego. ****ing hell, he acted the peaceful chap and funded violent organisations like the black panthers, criticised religion but followed all the new-age eastern stuff, sang about no posessions but lived the millionaires life. Hypocrite.

Add into that the nice little changes to history to make his story bigger (such as going from a middle-class kid to a chap from the working-class slums). Add into that the wife-beating and emotional abuse and well, if that's what is considered a rock star then I'm glad they're dying out.

Some things? He was a massive hypocrite and happy to whitewash history to stroke his own ego. ****ing hell, he acted the peaceful chap and funded violent organisations like the black panthers, criticised religion but followed all the new-age eastern stuff, sang about no posessions but lived the millionaires life. Hypocrite.

Add into that the nice little changes to history to make his story bigger (such as going from a middle-class kid to a chap from the working-class slums). Add into that the wife-beating and emotional abuse and well, if that's what is considered a rock star then I'm glad they're dying out.

Sang about no possessions? So you're referring to 'Imagine' then? (One of the greatest songs ever). You know he got the basis of the song, and that line, from a book? He never ever preached he never had anything, in fact, fans tried to get to him in his Rolls Royce and security panic but Lennon said 'let them, they paid for it'.

He was never all this peace. He preached for stop of the war (very stupid) but he was never a peaceful person (he wasnt nasty either). I think most Lennon/Beatles fans that have read well (I include myself in this) know this and can tell you opposite to what people think. You say 'hypocrite' but you only know of Imagine, you don't want to believe everything you hear/read without reading deeper into it.

He was never working class. Yeah I know he wrote and sang 'Working Class Hero' but was he writing about himself? He wasn't working class. I've visited his house, he was brought up with his Auntie who wasn't working class. Paul was more working class than John. Going back though, Lennon rarely sang about himself. A lot of his songs are reference to his life, but I don't think any are directly about him, his songs were more generally about everyone. 'Woman', for example, isn't about Yoko as many people think, it's about women in general.

I've argued these points time and times again. I love a lot of musicians, but I love the Beatles and especially, John Lennon, more than any other musician. I've got the books, I've read well, and most of them tell the truth which is, believe it or not, different to what people spout out for others to hear.

That's all now though. I don't want this to take over the thread. We have different opinions which is fine.

Archived