Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FuriousFox46

The Death of Music

I've written a blog about the state of modern chart music and like always wondered what people thought; http://thechriswhitingshow.wordpress.com/2013/08/15/the-death-of-music-2/?share=twitter&nb=1

I also wrote about homophobia in society. It kind of focuses on the coming out of a 'singer' so I kind of fits in here as a mere after thought. Anyway, please read that too, if you have time :) http://thechriswhitingshow.wordpress.com/2013/08/15/thats-so-hateful/

Didn't you also write a blog recently on underrated 'gems' which were almost entirely pop/chart fodder?

Oh and that link handily tweets your link as opposed to opening the actual blog :D

XFactor is the death of music.

Nah, the death of music is all the fags who like acts who have been on the X Factor. I am completely disallusioned with people my age including all my friends liking dance/pop/hip hop/rap and anything other crap that appears on Radio 1.

The only songs this whole year that I've actually liked are from Green Day (and I like their 90s stuff more anyway).

But at least we live in an age where you can ignore the mainstream and listen to any song you want on youtube.

But at least we live in an age where you can ignore the mainstream and listen to any song you want on youtube.

But isn't that part of the problem? With music available from so many sources on demand these days they find it difficult to put the charts together let alone pick up on any trends that might be happening. These days you can listen to anything in an instant and there is no one, main meduim for new groups and trends to develop. Before there was the radio and that was it, and I don't just mean bbc output. At the moment the charts are dominated by radio 1 songlist hits because that is the most popular medium of exposure. There are of course exceptions, one which springs to mind is gangham style after it trended on youtube before radio 1 picked it up. Unless this changes then the charts will always be the radio 1 playlist which is pushed by PR men and big labels.

But that's the charts. With so much music available on the web, at an instant, I would strongly argue that music is not dead and infact the opposite applies, it has never been more alive and available for all tastes.

The last 15 years has been terrible, but that's based on the music I love, I'm sure there are millions who love current pop music. 

The good thing is with the internet you still can find music you love but just not in the top 40.

The good thing is with the internet you still can find music you love but just not in the top 40.

That's about the size of it. Music's not dead. In fact it's alive and well and there's much more to cater to every taste. R1 during the day would do my head in (but then it's not aimed at me) but in the evening and overnight there's some great stuff on.

How can anyone slag a persons music taste off, and then say they like Green Day lol

Bar a handful of posters the music forum on here is so poor.

The latest stuff may be incredibly shit, but the early material (e.g. Dookie) was pretty good. Unfortunately they then went from being punk to just some dull gateway drug.

From wikipedia:

'They are one of the world’s best-selling groups of all time, having sold over 75 million albums worldwide'

Sales are no indication of quality, The Velvet Underground sold very little, and they're one of the most influential groups around.

Green Day were always awful.

Even the SLF covers (all of their material up to American Idiot) are shit SLF covers.

You just have to accept them for what they are, happy pop music. Like Blink.

Enjoy it for what it is but don't try and make out it's genius or talent.

Green Day were always awful.

Even the SLF covers (all of their material up to American Idiot) are shit SLF covers.

You just have to accept them for what they are, happy pop music. Like Blink.

Enjoy it for what it is but don't try and make out it's genius or talent.

SLF are good, so are other older bands like the Clash, the Ramones etc. Sex pistols were ok too.

I wouldn't call what was on Dookie or Insomniac pop at all, although after that they have softened a lot since then.

Curious as to why do you say that they are not talented, or any less so than any other band?

If you're going to quibble, everyone is talented. I'm talented, you're talented. We've all got talents.

Green Day write bland, middle-of-the-road, power-chord punk-pop with little imagination or creativity. They hardly inspired a new sound, they're hardly all blistering musicians or ground-breaking lyricists. I'm going to see them (albeit at a festival) tomorrow night, I don't loathe them, but like I said you need to appreciate them for what they are because trying to convince people they're some exceptional collection of savants is just daft.

As for what they play, if you don't think Dookie is pop there's very little helping you. It's perhaps unfair to compare them to bands of older generations but compare Basket Case and When I Come Around to what their contemporaries were producing at the same time? Pennywise, Rancid, even Anti-Flag, Bad Religion. Or, shit, the entire Boston Hardcore scene.

"Do you have the time, to listen to me whine?" Come on, it's as pop as guitar music gets. They basically paved the way for Busted and McFly, via MCR and the Rasmus.

I couldn't care less what people think of my music taste, I enjoy it and that's what matters. I'm not really into nowadays music apart from the odd artist (I like Arctic Monkey and Amy MacDonald), but that's about it.

Archived