Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
5waller5

OK Nige .....

I said he appeared to be trying to change last season ..... He actually seems to have managed it this season.

They're not pitchforks they are criticisms, and wanting my football team to have the best manager that they can ..... along with the best players ..... Sorry if that upsets you.

If we hit a bad patch of form, are you now saying that because Pearson has changed you'd be willing to give him more time to prove himself without reverting back to your old negative self? Or would you be instantly calling for his head again like you did last year.

I mean we did this last year (both Leicester City and posters on Foxes Talk), the team started well and all those who had been Pearson out like yourself suddenly liked Nigel Pearson and then as soon as the bad patch came your dull campaign against all things Nigel Pearson returned. It's frustrating when that happens because all teams go through bad patches. But now you've admitted that Pearson has changed for the better can we look forward to seeing a new happy-go-lucky 5waller5 who doesn't get on a manager's back after a few losses?

You mean I'm right .... he has changed - he has tried and developed new formations???

I said that he'd got the tactics of a sunday league manager because he was so rigidly sticking to one system or the other .... in case you haven't noticed there has hardly been a game this season where we haven't switched formation during the game at some stage.

The critical time when we are behind, he now has a plan B and plan C .... and uses them.

I saw a manager with big weaknesses, I criticised him. I see a manager that has worked on those weaknesses and I'm congratulating him and getting behind him.

I'm sorry if that's too hard for you to understand.

No you called him a Sunday league manager after working on a couple of new formations, for the entirety of July, look at the date you posted it. 

You saw bad results and you criticized you now see good results and you praise and you will go back to the former should the results drop off again, dress it up anyway you want.  

If we hit a bad patch of form, are you now saying that because Pearson has changed you'd be willing to give him more time to prove himself without reverting back to your old negative self? Or would you be instantly calling for his head again like you did last year.

I mean we did this last year (both Leicester City and posters on Foxes Talk), the team started well and all those who had been Pearson out like yourself suddenly liked Nigel Pearson and then as soon as the bad patch came your dull campaign against all things Nigel Pearson returned. It's frustrating when that happens because all teams go through bad patches. But now you've admitted that Pearson has changed for the better can we look forward to seeing a new happy-go-lucky 5waller5 who doesn't get on a manager's back after a few losses?

If he continues to show flexibility in his approach he won't get into that bad run of form and if he does and he tries different ways to get out of it then he'll succeed quicker.

If he reverts to defensive 442 hoofball I'll revert to criticising him for it.

I'm optimistic that he won't.

If he continues to show flexibility in his approach he won't get into that bad run of form and if he does and he tries different ways to get out of it then he'll succeed quicker.

If he reverts to defensive 442 hoofball I'll revert to criticising him for it.

I'm optimistic that he won't.

Football really isn't that simple.

No you called him a Sunday league manager after working on a couple of new formations, for the entirety of July, look at the date you posted it. 

You saw bad results and you criticized you now see good results and you praise and you will go back to the former should the results drop off again, dress it up anyway you want.  

So in fact ........

He had one of the worst runs in the club's history and then followed it with a dire pre season .... and I criticised him.

He tried one formation a game and stuck with it for the whole game, and i only remember him trying one formation too.

However you are the superior fan because you enjoyed losing and enjoyed seeing your manager keep trying a system that didn't work.

Well done you ..... you must be very proud.

Football really isn't that simple.

Yes it is.

It's a game where tactics affect games ..... have more tactics at your disposal, use them wisely, and you'll win more games.

Unless you are saying that managers are paid for nothing??

So in fact ........

He had one of the worst runs in the club's history and then followed it with a dire pre season .... and I criticised him.

He tried one formation a game and stuck with it for the whole game, and i only remember him trying one formation too.

However you are the superior fan because you enjoyed losing and enjoyed seeing your manager keep trying a system that didn't work.

This makes it sound a lot more reasonable than it actually was.

You didn't start criticising him after one of the worst runs in the club's history and a dire pre season, you started to criticise him right at the start of that run when we were still very much in a battle for automatic promotion. Let's not pretend that you gave Nigel any time at all to sort out the poor run before you started calling for his head.

I quite understand what 5Waller5 is saying. Last season Pearson failed to get us promotion, when my granny could have succeeded.

12 points from the last 16 games was sh1te. 24 points would have secured automatic promotion. His persistence in playing a poorly operated 4-4-2 system, together with his intransigence failed all of us as fans, including those who refuse to accept the unadulterated facts of the situation as they existed last season.

Pearson has changed this season. He is still 'a work in progress', but the signs that he has now learnt many lessons does give me hope.

4-4-2 now works better simply because Knocky and Dyer are putting in a proper shift. They are covering defensively and tackling with proper midfield capabilities instead of only playing as attackers. That was the problem last season, which left both King and Drinky always knackered after an hour every game because they had too many opposition players to contend with. We lost many games.

Add all that to the fact that he now has two or three other formation options and there is hope.

However why he selected a 4-4-2 option against Barnsley is bizarre. He must have known that they would come with a 4-5-1 set up to defend against us. Dyer needs to use pace, so too to an extent does Knocky - why he did not realise there would be no pace options available against a defensive set up means he is still learning. We should have played through the middle with quick passing with the full backs overlapping. At half time my option would have been to bring on Taylor-Fletcher for Dyer to achieve this. What gives me hope is that even though Pearson did not realise this before the match, he did play Dyer in a more central role which had the desired effect and worked very well.

He must also learn to make his substitutions at the right time, not 15 minutes too late. His changes against Barnsley were absolutely right, but just about in time to secure the win.

I quite understand what 5Waller5 is saying. Last season Pearson failed to get us promotion, when my granny could have succeeded.

12 points from the last 16 games was sh1te. 24 points would have secured automatic promotion. His persistence in playing a poorly operated 4-4-2 system, together with his intransigence failed all of us as fans, including those who refuse to accept the unadulterated facts of the situation as they existed last season.

Pearson has changed this season. He is still 'a work in progress', but the signs that he has now learnt many lessons does give me hope.

4-4-2 now works better simply because Knocky and Dyer are putting in a proper shift. They are covering defensively and tackling with proper midfield capabilities instead of only playing as attackers. That was the problem last season, which left both King and Drinky always knackered after an hour every game because they had too many opposition players to contend with. We lost many games.

Add all that to the fact that he now has two or three other formation options and there is hope.

However why he selected a 4-4-2 option against Barnsley is bizarre. He must have known that they would come with a 4-5-1 set up to defend against us. Dyer needs to use pace, so too to an extent does Knocky - why he did not realise there would be no pace options available against a defensive set up means he is still learning. We should have played through the middle with quick passing with the full backs overlapping. At half time my option would have been to bring on Taylor-Fletcher for Dyer to achieve this. What gives me hope is that even though Pearson did not realise this before the match, he did play Dyer in a more central role which had the desired effect and worked very well.

He must also learn to make his substitutions at the right time, not 15 minutes too late. His changes against Barnsley were absolutely right, but just about in time to secure the win.

You genuinely do think you're better equipped to be a football manager than Nigel Pearson, don't you?

Jesus Christ.

You genuinely do think you're better equipped to be a football manager than Nigel Pearson, don't you?

Jesus Christ.

You have not evaluated me very well. The only aspect of Pearson's management skills that I have been evaluating is his tactical nouse. Yes I do have greater tactical ability than Pearson, that is perfectly clear. It does not mean I would be a better manager however.

I'll elaborate a little more about Lloyd Dyer. He is now being coached very well in what the team need for him to be effective to give us success. There were some signs last season. Dyer actually learnt to pull back some crosses to the edge of the area/penalty spot - something he had never done before. Previously his crosses were hopeless and had been throughout his career.

This season Pearson has managed to get a 'work ethic' into him. He defends, he actually tackles, .

and he is becoming effective as a midfield player. The coaching by Pearson et al could even be recognised in the use of Dyer in a pre season match where he was used as the left wingback in a 5-3-2 formation.

The second half against Barnsley he was even used in a more central role. Big changes from Pearson and from Dyer.

Let's face it, last season Dyer spent half his time with his head up his rectum - this season he is our most improved player. Long may it continue.

Yes it is.

It's a game where tactics affect games ..... have more tactics at your disposal, use them wisely, and you'll win more games.

Unless you are saying that managers are paid for nothing??

Yes but you seem to forget there is another manager with another 11 players trying to do exactly the same thing. lol so it's not that simple.

So in fact ........

Not at all 4-4-2 has served us well and has continued to serve us well this season, I think it's by far our best formation. 3-5-2 has picked up a result in the league or two in the league, I'm not a massive fan but there we are it can be unpredictable and hard to break down if you don't have effective wide players. 

As I've already told you we tried 4-5-1 and got some change out of it last season around Xmas time pretty boring play but with the players we had at our disposal it was the right move. Pearson undoubtedly has a tendency to default to 4-4-2 but has never been a stranger to mixing his formations to suit the scenario he is in this new found "flexibility" of yours is a myth.

He, alone, didn't have one of the worst runs in the clubs history, he and the team had a terrible run, but due to his excellent start to the season (similar to the one we're having now)  it turned out not to matter as we got into the play offs anyway which in his first full season should be an excellent base to work from but people like you wanted throw everything we achieved away and start again from scratch with no money.

Besides there is nothing wrong with criticising, critiscise away. I critiscised him, bit of difference between that and calling for him to be given his marching orders with no real alternative and then turn coating as soon as the results pick up claiming he's the managers seen the light, it's bull shit!

What a load of complete and utter horseshit. Maybe we should go for the managerial dream team of you and Raj the Newsagent eh?

Football isn't necessarily always tactics, tactics, tactics. It's equally attitude, confidence and work ethic. For me it was those three qualities which we sadly lacked in the run-in. We became over-confident and the work ethic dipped. To top it off, Pearson probably over-trusted his players to finally perform in the system which worked very well for parts of last season (which results at Cardiff and Brighton very nearly did - maybe would have been a catalyst). What I think he has done is trusted his players to be more divisive in their positions on the pitch.

He kept the 4-4-2 against Barnsley in order to trust his current XI after the late slip up at Blackpool. I personally think you are seeing the results of Pearson finally achieve the right balance in what he wants in a squad. Personally liked that we could bring on Hammond and GTF late on in a game and steady everything up. Sadly missed in that Watford play-off game.

Guest MattP

Glad to have another one on board the pro Pearson group but amazed it takes a radio interview to get you there.

We have been improving season by season on the pitch and at the same time the side has been getting younger and the wage bill has been coming down, that should have been more than enough.

Guest MattP

Pearson is like Mr Stean, I've seen them both wear a suit once. (People that went to Brookvale will get it)

lol Remember those shorts as well? I don't think a P.E teacher has ever got away with tighter ones.

Pearson wouldn't have tolerated being called the a gorilla in the same way he did mind.

You have not evaluated me very well. The only aspect of Pearson's management skills that I have been evaluating is his tactical nouse. Yes I do have greater tactical ability than Pearson, that is perfectly clear. It does not mean I would be a better manager however.

I'm sorry mate but  :crylaugh:

Why would you play down the middle with an already overcrowded midfield?

I'll elaborate a little more about Lloyd Dyer. He is now being coached very well in what the team need for him to be effective to give us success. There were some signs last season. Dyer actually learnt to pull back some crosses to the edge of the area/penalty spot - something he had never done before. Previously his crosses were hopeless and had been throughout his career.

This season Pearson has managed to get a 'work ethic' into him. He defends, he actually tackles, .

and he is becoming effective as a midfield player. The coaching by Pearson et al could even be recognised in the use of Dyer in a pre season match where he was used as the left wingback in a 5-3-2 formation.

The second half against Barnsley he was even used in a more central role. Big changes from Pearson and from Dyer.

Let's face it, last season Dyer spent half his time with his head up his rectum - this season he is our most improved player. Long may it continue.

Have you actually ever watched Dyer play? He always tracks back, to state otherwise is pure folly. You really don't have a clue do you.

Glad to have another one on board the pro Pearson group but amazed it takes a radio interview to get you there.

We have been improving season by season on the pitch and at the same time the side has been getting younger and the wage bill has been coming down, that should have been more than enough.

I thought i made it really clear that it was a radio interview that was the final reason in a string of reasons to think that he's changed.

However flexibility and the ability to change your opinion when the facts change aren't recognised on here .... so i might go back to not rating him .... it seems it's too much for some to cope with seeing someone give credit where it's due.

Ummmm.... why aren't more people making MORE fun of this? One of my favourite FT posts in my 5 years here....

Listening to his interview from last night, it seems so much different to last season. He's quite critical even in victory and explaning things.

Doesn't seem to be much tension between NP and Stringer, too.

Archived