Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
5waller5

OK Nige .....

• 3 weeks later...

I quite understand what 5Waller5 is saying. Last season Pearson failed to get us promotion, when my granny could have succeeded.

12 points from the last 16 games was sh1te. 24 points would have secured automatic promotion. His persistence in playing a poorly operated 4-4-2 system, together with his intransigence failed all of us as fans, including those who refuse to accept the unadulterated facts of the situation as they existed last season.

Pearson has changed this season. He is still 'a work in progress', but the signs that he has now learnt many lessons does give me hope.

4-4-2 now works better simply because Knocky and Dyer are putting in a proper shift. They are covering defensively and tackling with proper midfield capabilities instead of only playing as attackers. That was the problem last season, which left both King and Drinky always knackered after an hour every game because they had too many opposition players to contend with. We lost many games.

Add all that to the fact that he now has two or three other formation options and there is hope.

However why he selected a 4-4-2 option against Barnsley is bizarre. He must have known that they would come with a 4-5-1 set up to defend against us. Dyer needs to use pace, so too to an extent does Knocky - why he did not realise there would be no pace options available against a defensive set up means he is still learning. We should have played through the middle with quick passing with the full backs overlapping. At half time my option would have been to bring on Taylor-Fletcher for Dyer to achieve this. What gives me hope is that even though Pearson did not realise this before the match, he did play Dyer in a more central role which had the desired effect and worked very well.

He must also learn to make his substitutions at the right time, not 15 minutes too late. His changes against Barnsley were absolutely right, but just about in time to secure the win.

Crikey!

:o:

Another good post..!

We're five points better off than this time last year, but it's worth remembering that back then we'd just gone on a four match winning run and were second in the table. We've finished the past three seasons poorly (two of them under Pearson) so, as it stands, he's still a manager who hasn't succeeded in doing the job he came here to do. It's good to be optimistic, but unwise to get too carried away.

You have not evaluated me very well. The only aspect of Pearson's management skills that I have been evaluating is his tactical nouse. Yes I do have greater tactical ability than Pearson, that is perfectly clear. It does not mean I would be a better manager however.

Delusions of grandeur?

Honesty, humility, open, motivational .... you had the time to speak to me the common fan, took your time, kept your cool, and remembered you were speaking to us and not Stringer .....

You thanked the fans for their patience and backing, you're trying new formations and signing different sorts of players apart from just the "young and hungry"s. You're also telling us what's going on and giving an insight into your tactics ....

With the post match interview today you've won me around ..... I was steadily turning this season towards being a Nige fan again ..... You got me back completely after that interview.

:scarf:  :scarf:  :scarf:  :pearson:  :trumpet:  :trumpet:  :trumpet:

Good for you fella, but although I am backing him, not knocking him, and hoping he does well, I have to say I am not yet won over. As I have said before, that will have to wait until the end of this, his third season.

Here's hoping though.

I read this earlier... thought it was absolutely fantastic!!

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/10/21/sp-leicester-reaping-the-rewards/?

Definitely worth the read, basically a glowing review of all things Leicester! Some very good points. I'm glad that someone has taken the time out to write it and it finally shows us in a good light!

Wow what awful journalism, spelling and grammatical errors aplenty.

Good for you fella, but although I am backing him, not knocking him, and hoping he does well, I have to say I am not yet won over. As I have said before, that will have to wait until the end of this, his third season.

Here's hoping though.

"not knocking him"

However subtle it was it's still there. You're one of the remaining few who still doesn't like Pearson, why? Is it so appalling that he hasn't won promotion in his disjointed spells at the club?

Not sure I want to open up this debate again as it seems to have subsided recently for obvious reasons but it does intrigue me how some remain unwilling to be satisfied with Pearson as manager.

"not knocking him"

However subtle it was it's still there. You're one of the remaining few who still doesn't like Pearson, why? Is it so appalling that he hasn't won promotion in his disjointed spells at the club?

Not sure I want to open up this debate again as it seems to have subsided recently for obvious reasons but it does intrigue me how some remain unwilling to be satisfied with Pearson as manager.

It's not 'appalling', no, because most managers installed to win promotion don't do it either. However it does, up to now, represent a failure on his part to do the job he was assigned to do.

Now I agreed that this was unfair back in 2010 when Mandaric wanted back-to-back promotions. I thought it was a tall order in 2012 when he returned and inherited an incongruous and over-paid bunch of players that was expected by most to make the Premier League, but last season was a straightforward failure. There's no hiding from that. He had better funds than two of the three promoted sides (having taken over the most expensively assembled group of players in the division) and failed to take them up, which means that we have now passed through the biggest period of team investment in the club's history with nothing to show for it - and FFP failure on the horizon.

That's not to say that Pearson is solely, or even primarily to blame. That doesn't mean that he won't redeem himself this year. The signs are good. But it's hard to see how you can expect people to be 'won over' by a man who is yet to achieve what was, by a good distance, his main objective in coming here two years ago.

It's not 'appalling', no, because most managers installed to win promotion don't do it either. However it does, up to now, represent a failure on his part to do the job he was assigned to do.

Now I agreed that this was unfair back in 2010 when Mandaric wanted back-to-back promotions. I thought it was a tall order in 2012 when he returned and inherited an incongruous and over-paid bunch of players that was expected by most to make the Premier League, but last season was a straightforward failure. There's no hiding from that. He had better funds than two of the three promoted sides (having taken over the most expensively assembled group of players in the division) and failed to take them up, which means that we have now passed through the biggest period of team investment in the club's history with nothing to show for it - and FFP failure on the horizon.

That's not to say that Pearson is solely, or even primarily to blame. That doesn't mean that he won't redeem himself this year. The signs are good. But it's hard to see how you can expect people to be 'won over' by a man who is yet to achieve what was, by a good distance, his main objective in coming here two years ago.

I don't agree with some of that analysis.

The expensive squad led to less funds not more. Pearson's ability to spend was reduced as his hands were tied by the excessive amount going towards players doing nothing. Spending money on nothing absolutely does not equate to 'better funds' and it clearly hindered the manager's ability to add to the squad.

I think this is the first time I've seen someone try to use the expensive squad against Pearson, it's a point that should be used to support the work he's done.

I read this earlier... thought it was absolutely fantastic!! 

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/10/21/sp-leicester-reaping-the-rewards/?

Definitely worth the read, basically a glowing review of all things Leicester! Some very good points. I'm glad that someone has taken the time out to write it and it finally shows us in a good light! 

Good of you to join us Mr Pickering.

I don't agree with some of that analysis.

The expensive squad led to less funds not more. Pearson's ability to spend was reduced as his hands were tied by the excessive amount going towards players doing nothing. Spending money on nothing absolutely does not equate to 'better funds' and it clearly hindered the manager's ability to add to the squad.

I think this is the first time I've seen someone try to use the expensive squad against Pearson, it's a point that should be used to support the work he's done.

No I don't think it's the first time someone has pointed out that Pearson had quite a bit of cash himself to spend and inherited a side that looked, on paper, to be worthy promotion contenders.

I may be wrong, but I believe his spending between January 2012 and January 2013 was more substantial than Hull's or Palace's, or indeed the vast bulk of other teams in the division. In addition there remain question marks over a good percentage of his signings (Marshall, Futacs, Whitbread didn't work out; Vardy is doing well right now but it's overly-generous to say he has yet paid off that 1m fee, the jury is out on Wood, Drinkwater and, needless to say, the newer purchases).

As for the value of the squad he inherited; personally I'm glad to see many of those players elsewhere, but there can be little question that our rivals at the time were intimidated by the 'quality' of our purchases. And, of course, the likes of Schmeichel, Konchesky and Nugent remain at the core of the squad; while Danns, St. Ledger and Beckford were fixtures in the first team for the first eight months. He may not have rated them especially, but we can't say he never benefited from having them at his disposal.

On the other hand it would, of course, be unfair to criticise Pearson for (a) moving on most of the players he moved on or (b) making significant inroads into reducing the wage bill, while bringing down the age of the squad. I think there's a balance to be struck regarding the success of his second stint here; but the truth is that he came here to achieve promotion and I suspect he won't feel 'satisfied', just as we shouldn't, until he's achieved it.

"not knocking him"

I still don't like him.he's been fannying around for the past four seasons and I dare say this one will be the same, he lacks killer instinct and even if he does by sods law somehow get us up, he wont last ten games in the Prem. it's not a popular view on Pearsontalk, but the bizarre stay of execution he got last season will probably see him here for a while yet.....boring though it is...probably be called a Wum for not joining in the sickening love in.........

I still don't like him.he's been fannying around for the past four seasons and I dare say this one will be the same, he lacks killer instinct and even if he does by sods law somehow get us up, he wont last ten games in the Prem. it's not a popular view on Pearsontalk, but the bizarre stay of execution he got last season will probably see him here for a while yet.....boring though it is...probably be called a Wum for not joining in the sickening love in.........

WUM.

I dunno, I guess there's not joining in with the love in and then there's accusing him of fannying around for four seasons which does strike me as a little odd. You can't possibly mean 08/09 nor can I imagine you mean 09/10 either so we're left with three seasons (two seasons in terms of time he's had here) which, to my mind, does not constitute four.

I don't mind people disliking him if their reasons are valid, but if you accuse the bloke of fannying around for four seasons it's little wonder people think you're being a Wum. That sort of statement would be widely regarded as incorrect, sorry.

Pearsontalk actually made me lol.

You can't possibly say he wouldn't last ten games in the Premier League. How do you know? People said Kevin Phillips wouldn't manage five goals in the Premier League, he ended up scoring thirty odd. 

I don't get why you have this perception that this is 'Pearsontalk'. I know you have said something along these lines before. I like to back the manager of my football club, untill I think he deserves to go, and at this moment in time I believe Nigel Pearson is, again, doing a decent enough job here. I'm talking about behind the scenes and on the pitch.

"Fannying around for four years" lol lol

Brilliant. What a moron, four years this guy has spent fannying around offloading shit, cutting an obscene wage bill and taking us higher in the league. Bastard.

"Fannying around for four years" lol lol

Brilliant. What a moron, four years this guy has spent fannying around offloading shit, cutting an obscene wage bill and taking us higher in the league. Bastard.

I didn't say he was a moron, or have you spun this into a personal attack again?

I said he lacked killer instinct and had been fannying around (by which I really meant failing to achieve anything, as in not getting promoted) for four seasons.

Let's see how he does this year but already he (his team now and his tactics) has stumbled a couple of times when even a draw would have helped.

The rest of the tripe you talk about is irrelevant to me - we are only higher in the league because we have not been high enough for ten years, don't let being slightly less mediocre be taken as success you little charmer you.

I get the impression stringer doesn't ask as many stupid questions. Plus Nige may actually be warming to stringer. I used to hate stringer but its took a few years but actually don't mind him I love that he loves the club so much. Always helps when we doung well too I guess

'Not getting us over the line' is easily one of the worst criticisms of Pearson I've heard. Fact is, if somebody more accomplished than Kermorgant stepped up, things could be different, as with Knockaert. He got us in positions to get over the line. The players every time have choked, surely this'll change this year. 

What is wrong with a clubs fans loving their manager? (And let's be honest he's been our best manager for a very long time)

Last season we should have been over the line and promoted easily, it went wrong a long time before Knocky and that penalty.

Absolutely. Our inclusion in the play-offs was an absolute farce in the manner it was achieved. Had we got promoted, little would be thought of it but it was pretty dire. Has he learnt? Have the players learnt? We seem slightly more stronger as a team and Pearson's going about things slightly different but the next 2 months is the real test for me.

Absolutely. Our inclusion in the play-offs was an absolute farce in the manner it was achieved. Had we got promoted, little would be thought of it but it was pretty dire. Has he learnt? Have the players learnt? We seem slightly more stronger as a team and Pearson's going about things slightly different but the next 2 months is the real test for me.

Top post

Archived