Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
copunk

what supporting city means to you

It means a ridiculous amount to me!

Now I'm too young for a missus in terms of marriage but I think if you asked my ex, it meant more to me than she would have appreciated. It's never far away from my mind! I check this forum multiple times a day. I'm constantly on newsnow (especially during transfer season)

I cried when we got promoted! And it made me happier than anything I've experienced thus far in life. I find myself dreaming about city and singing our songs in the shower! I'm so excited about tonight just because I know we can win the league! I've been singing champions all day.

Living in London makes me appreciate it more. I'm born and bred in London. I don't have a Leicester accent, my dad brought me up a city fan and I won't ever change! I look at my mates and I just know I'm far more passionate than they are!! So yeah, it means everything to me. I kind of wish it didn't but I just can't help but be obsessed.

Guilty ;-)

Well considering the OP puts the club before his missus, wouldnt surprise me in the slightest.

no fella, if you read my comment properly you would see I said aside from my daughter, who I would put before anything in life, read carefully next time :)

It means I was washed and ready for bed at half 11(half 10 for you lot) when I thought "fvck it, I'm not gonna have a legitimate celebration like this for a while" and booted up the PC with some jubbly(well, beer - it's all I've got).  Almost 2 hours later and I'm still revelling in the FT wankathon.   I hope my boss will understand.

The feeling that I can't describe in the 20 minutes after the final whistle went tonight. That meant a hell of a lot to me.

My team. Through thick and thin.

It means everything in the world.

Being a City fan can be really tough sometimes. My dad took me to my first ever game (vs Wolves) but as he hadn't been for a while he didn't realise you couldn't buy on the gate, so we had to go home.... The next week however, he took me to see us against Liverpool, which we lost 2-1. I was hooked.

We couldn't afford a season ticket but managed to make it to at least 5-6 games inc. every last home game of the season. We went to Wembley 4 times (Palace, Boro, Spurs & Tranmere) each one of them memorable for their own reasons. Then Dad surprised me with a season ticket (MON's last season) which I kept for at least 5 years before going to Uni in Wales; the only game I could make was Cardiff away but me dad drove down every time to endure the misery with me.

{my friends at school all supported Man U or Arsenal or Blackburn so it's always going to be me and me dad... Despite both of us being twats sometimes we've always bonded over City}

After Uni and with no job I inevitably went travelling, so I missed going down the City for a few years, but I tell you, there is no happier moment on the road than walking into a pub in Zambia and finding Leicester on the telly, and proudly announcing to the locals that it's your home team losing! Getting the whole pub to cheer us on was unforgettable.

Or pumping the RL commentary through the speakers at the shop I worked at in New Zealand to hear us thrash Forest in the cup 4-0. Wore my shirt for the rest of that day - funnily enough my boss was a Spurs supporter who had also been at Wembley all them years before! - he understood (and Kiwi culture is so laid back nothing fazes anyone)

Being a nocturnal creature I used to Skype me dad back in Leicester and listen to the commentary whenever we were playing (my mum listened in so she could hear me snore from 12,000 miles away if it was a particularly boring game).

These days I'm back in Leicester working at a special needs school and as a Carer for a young lad with learning difficulties, which means I'm working every Saturday; I try to get down the City as much as possible and when I can afford it which means occasionally taking the day off work (to see us lose to Forest) so I can't afford to do it very often.

I see why some ST holders and hardcore fans consider people like me a 'lesser' fan but they can go fcck em selves as far as I'm concerned. Me and me dad are City through and through, we've been there through the good times and the rough and that's all that matters to be honest.

I think it says a lot when my 3 most memorable games are as follows:

2-1, 1996 Palace at Wembley (11 years old, euphoria at that most unforgettable moment)

0-2, 1997 Athletico Madrid at Filbo (sat in the unsold away end next to the Kop - the most incredible atmosphere I've ever witnessed; my dad still remembers my 12 yr old voice screaming out 'The referees a willy puller')

0-1, 2001 Man U at Filbo (confirmed out relegation - I will never, EVER forget the moment that the WHOLE crowd stood up to sing 'stand up up if you love Leicester')

--

Sorry for the long read, but to sum up LCFC means everything to me. If following your club regardless of whether you're there every week makes your heart dance whatever the result then that is all that matters. I am truly LEICESTER TILL I DIE and no-one can take that away!

In days gone by I followed City from Plymouth to Newcastle and everywhere in between. (Even including Collins John scoring our only goal in a 1-1 thriller at Colchester in front of 5,661 fans.) 

I had season tickets in the East stand and West stand with my Dad before having season tickets in the Kop and L with mates. I even bought tickets in N block every week in Milan's first season watching the likes of Andy Johnson and Geoff Horsefield consolidate 16th place. 

All the glory of this season comes with a hint of disappointment on my part. It's a shame that it has happened at a time that I have zero time or money i.e. the last year of university. The worst part is that me and my housemate who is also a City fan bought Burnley tickets only to go out on the Friday night, get a little carried away on the night out and wake up at 11:30 the next morning wondering why we weren't at Turf Moor. I'd have absolutely 100% sacrificed my pull to have been there. No doubt about that. I ended up having to chuck the girl out to enable me and my mate to watch the game on stream hungover in bed. The crazed celebration despite our sore heads, I feel, spoke volumes in terms of what City means to us.

It's difficult, though, not seeing your team play. Like love with a partner, the love is made more powerful by the ongoing drama of shared experience. I've only been to 4 games this season (Leeds 0-0, Brum 3-2, Bolton 5-3 and Brighton 4-1 (Yes, I had a 34% chance of witnessing us not win in each game that I've been to based on our record this season, and I managed it twice in 4 games!))

So having only witnessed 2 of the 29 wins so far this season, it's difficult to be as 'in love' as I would have been having seen, say, over half. For example, if you were in a relationship with somebody who for whatever reason had to move away for a year, you would argue that you still love them just as much as you did before. However, if you were honest with yourself, you will undoubtedly have drifted apart somewhat and you wouldn't 'feel' as in love as if you were spending all of your time together. Well, that's kind of how I feel about LCFC at the moment and why I'm sort of gutted in a way that all of this didn't happen a few years ago when I had spare time and money. I still love Leicester and am absolutely chuffed that this is happening. I just can't help but feel that I'm not as buzzing about it as I would have been if I could have enjoyed and been part of it more.

For me, LCFC will always be there and for that reason will always have a special place in my heart. However, as this year has proven, when push comes to shove, I allow things to come between myself and the club that I love. Perspective perhaps gets the better of me at times, and sorting myself out with a successful career has arguably taken priority. 

Hopefully when all this degree 'no money, no time' nonsense is through and I have a job, I will be able to reignite my love with the club. My relationship with the club at the moment mirrors that of a middle aged married couple. I love her to bits and I'd never think of doing the dirty, but maybe we could do with bringing things to life a little in the bedroom.

Give me a job and a bit of spare time and the first thing on the shopping list will be an LCFC season ticket. Hopefully in the coming years I'll witness first hand LCFC becoming a solid Premier League team.

I suppose all that's left to say really is pass me the handcuffs. Premier League here we come, baby!

It means david pleat. Followed by that goal by tony james.

it means defeats at wembley followed by walshy ****ing the sheep.

It means watching a fat scottish bastard walk out on us. Followed by a play-off win and 2 cup wins.

It means years of management changes leading to relegation. Shit days out at plymouth. Followed by pearson instilling some pride.

it means seeing my team win the 2nd tier for the 1st time in my lifetime. Knowing next season could be tough. But it will be fun.

it means all I'm left with now is to see us lift and fa cup and I will die happy.

enjoy this summer boys it's been fun this year.

It means watching a fat scottish bastard walk out on us.

Me and my dad were in a pub in Belfast watching a local band last year, and when they started singing Daydream Believer we both looked at each other and immediate sang the Mark McGhee version! Never. Gets. Old.

We should definitely sing "Are you watching Mark McGhee" next season!

I'm not bitter or anything.

I'm just curious to see who would put a football club before their kids and is happy admitting it. I'm sure there will be some

Well I did pop over to Filbo from the Infirmary on the day my daughter was born in 1996 to see us draw 2-2 with Forest, went back to visit straight after the match though! There for the birth, saw the match, perfect.

Despite having been to 8 – 10 games a season for a few seasons in the late 1980s, it wasn’t until I went to Uni that I really discovered a passion for City. I was mixing with people from different parts of the country, supporting various clubs, and suddenly it made me feel prouder of my roots and of my team. This period also coincided with the 1990-91 season of the Great Escape – I managed to get to about 20 games that season and I guess it was then that I first felt the sense of belonging that you got on the Kop, the feeling that you were part of a tribe. I loved that, and still do.

For a few years then, my life revolved around City, my mates and music, until I met my wife on holiday a few months after Stevie Claridge had won the Play Off final.

I moved up to Mold about year later – I kept my season ticket for a while but the time and cost of a 260 mile round trip was too much. Had I married a local girl I could have had the best of both worlds but fate didn’t work out that way. It can be frustrating being a Foxile, going to far fewer games a season, missing the old matchday ritual and having to make do with Sky or the radio commentary. As Joni Mitchell sang ‘You Don’t Know What You’ve Got ‘til It’s Gone’, but you have to make sacrifices when you have a wife and children. Inevitably it all means I’m probably not as committed as I was back in the 1990s, but it doesn’t mean I love the club any less. (see the recently discussed ‘Plastic Fan’ topic on this forum). In some respects I like to see it as a way of retaining a comforting link to Leicestershire despite not having lived there for almost 17 years.

Archived