Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

Win the league or the Play-offs?

Winning the league is brilliant because it takes the pressure off. The play-offs, as we know, are a lottery and STRESSFUL!

However, the build-up to the play-offs, getting to Wembley and winning are literally moments in my life that are just about unsurpassed. I'm being genuine there. I remember Claridge's winner like it was yesterday and the walk/drive home after that game was a high that will always be remembered.

Depends how you win the League.

If you start the final day 3rd and a last minute winner ends up winning you the league then it'd be that every time. Because I've never really experienced anything like Claridge's 120th minute Play-Off winner I'd have to say that would be a greater moment than anything we've had this season and I'd go with that. But winning the league is more enjoyable than finishing 3-6th and if it was done last minute, then the league every time.

As it is, it's nice to walk around Derby, wearing a Leicester shirt as the best team in the league, despite the possibility of their play-off victory.

Depends how you win the League.

If you start the final day 3rd and a last minute winner ends up winning you the league then it'd be that every time. Because I've never really experienced anything like Claridge's 120th minute Play-Off winner I'd have to say that would be a greater moment than anything we've had this season and I'd go with that. But winning the league is more enjoyable than finishing 3-6th and if it was done last minute, then the league every time.

As it is, it's nice to walk around Derby, wearing a Leicester shirt as the best team in the league, despite the possibility of their play-off victory.

Yep, that makes sense.. good post

:thumbup:

There is a fallacy in the original question though. The OP asks us would we prefer a Championship-winning season or a guaranteed dramatic play-off victory. But if the play-off victory is guaranteed, it can't be dramatic.

I was at the games against Charlton in 1980 and Burnley in 1983 when we went up automatically and there were pitch invasions at Filbert Street. (Great memories).

I was also at all 4 play-off finals between 1992 and 1996 along with the home semi-finals. Were the wins over Derby and Palace better than this season? Hard to say, but we've broken so many club records this year and got 102 points in the Championship so I don't think anyone will miss the play-offs. Going up via the play-offs is better than finishing 2nd though.

But my all-time favourite game is still at home v Oxford in May 1991. That was the happiest memory, finishing 22nd in the old 2nd Division.

Winning the League with 102 points & breaking many records in the process for me.

Proving you are without doubt the best team in one of the hardest divisions to win.

Although the scenes at Wembley when Walshy scored v Derby & Claridge v Palace were truly special moments.

unless you're a watford fan, in which case winning a play off semi final is better than winning the league. 

Cheeky!

:blush:

We wouldn't know about the latter (certainly not at Champions level) but I'd probably go for the sort of season you had at the best.

The play-off final(we've won 2) would be one memory but you'd have a season full getting such a points total.

That Claridge goal was the moment my love for leicester grew to what it is today. Those moments cant be beaten. also going up via the play offs gets you more money aswel.

Winning the league this season has been incredible but if you asked me if i would rather have this seasons way of getting promoted or the play off final steve claridge way it would have to be the mighty Stevie claridge. Those moments stay with you on a personal level. breaking records is all well and good but they arent necessarily remembered.

Claridge’s goal was a once in a lifetime moment. Unbelievable. I was right behind the ball and it seemed to go in slow motion. I just kept expecting Nigel Martyn to take a couple of steps to his left and comfortably catch it. But he just stood there gaping at it like the rest of us. Boom.

BUT, you can’t beat the months of satisfaction that this season has provided. All the away wins at places like Leeds, QPR, Watford. Dyer’s goal against Bolton. Wood’s goal at Burnley. Mahrez wonderstrike against Blackpool. Spanking Derby.

This has been a once-in-a-lifetime season for us.

Winning the league every time.

By default, finishing top means that during the season there must have been a sustained feeling of excuberance and happiness - rather than a nervy, stressy year with an ultimate payout of one massive high at the end of the season.

I guess it would be the equivalent of having to choose between having:

a) an excellent, truly memorable pissup nearly every Saturday throughout an entire year and spending each working week looking forward to the next

b) very little fun for a year and then for one single night, booking into a "no holds barred" house party at a luxury mansion with a swimming pool filled with cocaine, champagne and expensive women

Definitely "a" for me, but horses for courses.

Archived