Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MHC

Why Nigel Pearson is good enough for the Premier League

Perhaps we should let hi win a few games in the PL first, if we're bottom at Christmas then he won't be quite so popular amongst Leicester fans let alone the press or England fans.

Personally I don't give a flying fvck about the press or England fans: but in the unlikely event that we are bottom at Christmas, Pearson will still have my vocal support. And I hope the Thais are as good as their word and keep him in place, even if we get relegated - because Pearson will bring us straight back up if we do.

Personally I don't give a flying fvck about the press or England fans: but in the unlikely event that we are bottom at Christmas, Pearson will still have my vocal support. And I hope the Thais are as good as their word and keep him in place, even if we get relegated - because Pearson will bring us straight back up if we do

In general I agree with this, my point was that some peole may be getting a bit carried away when claiming he'll be the next England manager.

Not many clubs come straight back up.

WTF?

How many people, even Man U fans, would say they actually liked Alex Ferguson? As opposed to respecting him. If the criterion was liking the manager, we would have appointed the Dalai Lama, FFS.

But echoing what others have said, what's not to like about Pearson? He took over (twice) a failing Leicester City squad and rebuilt them into a team of winners. He's got us playing really attractive football, and away from football he's shown himself to be a cultured, intelligent and grounded man with a good sense of humour and an engaging modesty. His backroom squad clearly like him and respect him, and he's very open about giving credit where it is due, to people like Craig Shakespeare and Steve Walsh, as well as to the physios and sports scientists. Like I say, what's not to like?

Calling our fans clowns and telling them to not bother coming back didn't make him very popular in some circles.

Managers should never slate those who will still be there long after they have left.

Guest MattP

Calling our fans clowns and telling them to not bother coming back didn't make him very popular in some circles.

Managers should never slate those who will still be there long after they have left.

People either want honest managers or they don't.

Sometimes you will hear things that make you uncomfortable, that's football.

Managers have a right to slate idiots who know nothing about the game whether they are fans or not.

People either want honest managers or they don't.

Sometimes you will hear things that make you uncomfortable, that's football.

Managers have a right to slate idiots who know nothing about the game whether they are fans or not.

I don't want any manager of ours slating the fans, they have kept this going the last 10 years.

I prefer that both the manager and players rise above petty name calling.

Guest MattP

I don't want any manager of ours slating the fans, they have kept this going the last 10 years.

I prefer that both the manager and players rise above petty name calling.

Respectfully disagree.

I want our managers to be honest and if that means upsetting a few idiots then so be it.

A lot of our supporters wanted this man dismissed, had they got their way they would have done more damage to our football club than any managers comments could ever do.

We will find out come the end of next season, how he handles his Premiership side, and by whom he brings in. This will go a long way in testing his ability to manage at top level.

Let's not expect miracles, but I feel that if he can keep us up, which I hope he does, then he should be able to build a solid, and reasonably good outfit.  :thumbup:

You mean gave the usual suspects another stick to beat him with, nobody suddenly decided they didn't like him because he was honest about those idiots who were abusing him.

Respectfully disagree.

I want our managers to be honest and if that means upsetting a few idiots then so be it.

A lot of our supporters wanted this man dismissed, had they got their way they would have done more damage to our football club than any managers comments could ever do.

Managers are never completely honest to the press about their players due to 'man-management'.

If they're happy to lie/bend the truth to protect players' feelings they should do the same about the fans, that or just keep quiet.

You mean gave the usual suspects another stick to beat him with, nobody suddenly decided they didn't like him because he was honest about those idiots who were abusing him.

That's not completely true though, this board went into meltdown with many Pearson admirer's getting upset over his comment.

There's just no need for it, he should be mature enough to know that whatever he does he'll never have everyone on his side and at the time it was quite understandable that many were starting to doubt him.

He should be bigger than petty name calling.

Guest MattP

Managers are never completely honest to the press about their players due to 'man-management'.

If they're happy to lie/bend the truth to protect players' feelings they should do the same about the fans, that or just keep quiet.

Invalid comparison.

If they lie and bend the truth to protect and possible improve player performance then it's acceptable.

He doesn't need to do that with fans, in fact he probably enjoyed it as well given he knew the ones he was criticising would be made to look even more ridiculous eventually.

I certainly did and I'm sure others did also, his comments didn't bother me as I know he wasn't talking about me.

WTF?

How many people, even Man U fans, would say they actually liked Alex Ferguson? As opposed to respecting him. If the criterion was liking the manager, we would have appointed the Dalai Lama, FFS.

But echoing what others have said, what's not to like about Pearson? He took over (twice) a failing Leicester City squad and rebuilt them into a team of winners. He's got us playing really attractive football, and away from football he's shown himself to be a cultured, intelligent and grounded man with a good sense of humour and an engaging modesty. His backroom squad clearly like him and respect him, and he's very open about giving credit where it is due, to people like Craig Shakespeare and Steve Walsh, as well as to the physios and sports scientists. Like I say, what's not to like?

Who would you prefer? Ian Holloway?

The Dalai Lama is a príck.

How anyone cannot be fully behind NP now beggars belief tbh

I don't think anyone isn't fully behind him at the moment but opinions can change rapidly if you're watching your team get beaten every week, not that I expect that to happen next season.

Invalid comparison.

If they lie and bend the truth to protect and possible improve player performance then it's acceptable.

He doesn't need to do that with fans, in fact he probably enjoyed it as well given he knew the ones he was criticising would be made to look even more ridiculous eventually.

I certainly did and I'm sure others did also, his comments didn't bother me as I know he wasn't talking about me.

This 

Pepe Mel leaving West Brom could mean they come in for Pearson. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

He's been there, done that and was quickly shafted when Mowbray came in. Not worried about that in the slightest.

He's been there, done that and was quickly shafted when Mowbray came in. Not worried about that in the slightest.

I think Pearson will really appreciate the loyalty that the Thais have shown to him, especially towards the end of the 2012-13 season. They've also indicated that they will support him in the next season, even if things don't go well. 

Prior to becoming City's manager at the start of the third-tier season, Pearson had been badly treated by several of the clubs at which he had worked. Not just West Brom, but Carlisle, Stoke City, Newcastle, and Southampton - and even after two really good years, the cvnt Mandaric crapped on him and eased him out of the door.

So I don't think he is going to jump ship any time soon.

I think Pearson will really appreciate the loyalty that the Thais have shown to him, especially towards the end of the 2012-13 season. They've also indicated that they will support him in the next season, even if things don't go well. 

Prior to becoming City's manager at the start of the third-tier season, Pearson had been badly treated by several of the clubs at which he had worked. Not just West Brom, but Carlisle, Stoke City, Newcastle, and Southampton - and even after two really good years, the cvnt Mandaric crapped on him and eased him out of the door.

So I don't think he is going to jump ship any time soon.

Not necessarily treated badly, he was coach or assistant at some of those clubs, when a new manager comes in they want their own staff, it's probably nothing personal.

That's not completely true though, this board went into meltdown with many Pearson admirer's getting upset over his comment.

There's just no need for it, he should be mature enough to know that whatever he does he'll never have everyone on his side and at the time it was quite understandable that many were starting to doubt him.

He should be bigger than petty name calling.

I do agree with this, he can now back up his opinions with the Championship trophy and 102 points, which strikes me as a man who knows what he's doing.

He's been far more relaxed and open this season.

I wonder why 6 clubs thought he wasn't good enough?

Profile not high enough? That was certainly the case with Mandaric.

And look where that got us. A laughing stock of a club, haemorrhaging money like it's going out of fashion. Or as I like to call it. QPR.

And look where that got us. A laughing stock of a club, haemorrhaging money like it's going out of fashion. Or as I like to call it. QPR.

Or City, pre-Pearson.

Nigel has done a TREMENDOUS job if truth be told. The only thing I'm sorry about was, having welcomed him back with open arms after the Sven debacle, I then started to doubt him. Though, I still maintain I have no fookin idea what happened last season, other than us changing our game to accomodate Wood and Kane.

Anyway, that's now history, I, like many hit the panic trigger and were proven wrong.

So much so that I say again, give him two seasons NOW...and HOWEVER we do, don't sack him. Even if we get relegated I have every faith he would get us back up again the following season.

What I want to see now is:

1. Our fans per se and those on here, not raising expectations at all.... someone started a thread whereby they were predicting a possible 6th. Now is not the time to be making rash predictions.

2. Having patience re. Signings.. lets wait and see who we get

3. Not getting frustrated at the grounds next season. Again, being patient with the players and manager, not booing and trying to look at the long-term picture.

Look, it may be great.. we might look pretty shit hot next year.

But whatever, Pearson has earnt my respect and the right to be given time and patience by the City faithful.

Archived