Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MHC

Why Nigel Pearson is good enough for the Premier League

The way Pearson goes about building a team is absolutely spot on and his values are what I want from a manager. My only concern about him is tactics, he seems very much the sort of manager who puts players in a position and just lets them play, rather than perhaps having a set strict ethos on how we go about playing. Similarly if there is a problem, it tends to get fixed by replacing players rather than perhaps tactical changes. Next season is going to be the acid test as we are going to have to be much more tactical in how we approach certain games, than we've had to in this division.

The way Pearson goes about building a team is absolutely spot on and his values are what I want from a manager. My only concern about him is tactics, he seems very much the sort of manager who puts players in a position and just lets them play, rather than perhaps having a set strict ethos on how we go about playing. Similarly if there is a problem, it tends to get fixed by replacing players rather than perhaps tactical changes. Next season is going to be the acid test as we are going to have to be much more tactical in how we approach certain games, than we've had to in this division.

Again, spot on.

This IS the biggest test of Pearson's management ability.

Regarding this gubbins about him not being able to manage 'big personalities'.. you are quite right. The players he got rid of just weren't good enough.

The one thing I would add though is that Nige does tend to prefer a certain sort of player... one who realises he is boss, and also works for the team, not as an individual. Good, I say....

What has impressed me the most is his transition from a more defensive reactionary manager to a more aggressive attacking manager forcing sides to change their game plan.

Every word of this is true and I was so proud reading this knowing we have a manager capable of achieving or even surpassing what O'Neill did at the club. He has already broken many records at the club, this season has been one of the greatest the club has ever had.

I read the OP and it was entirely worth it.

I was gutted when Pearson left for Hull and delighted when he came back.  My faith was tested last season, but not to the extent I wanted him gone.

He has achieved targets and broken records in every full season at Leicester.

I'm hoping (but not expecting) for more of this in the PL over the couple of seasons.  We finally have a decent manager, a decent ground and decent owners all at the same time.

Things look rosier than at any other time I have supported Leicester.

Has anyone asked NP about our terrible spell last season and why he found it so difficult to halt the slide. I guess its a bit like what we saw this year from florist although they failed to grab hold of the chance in the last few fixtures when the door opened just enough. Shame.

Thats the only time i have worried about him. He seemed incapable of making the right decisions to reverse things. maybe he has been asked bit i've never seen or heard it.

The thing with that bad run is that he didnt do anything to trigger it. He was putting out the same starting 11 that were sweeping aside everyone pre-January. The young players bottled it and were a bit naive.

Pearson did start getting desperate by changing to 433 with Kane and Nugent on the wings but aside from that i dont think there was a clear solution to turn things round quicker than he did.

Has anyone asked NP about our terrible spell last season and why he found it so difficult to halt the slide. I guess its a bit like what we saw this year from florist although they failed to grab hold of the chance in the last few fixtures when the door opened just enough. Shame.

Thats the only time i have worried about him. He seemed incapable of making the right decisions to reverse things. maybe he has been asked bit i've never seen or heard it.

We made the playoffs so we achieved what was expected that season, this season he realised he needed that experience to avoid such a run happening again.

A cracking article enjoyed reading it. Wonder if nige played against us in that 82/83 season when we had Lineker Smith and Lynex? Interesting to see he had a similar experience as Youngy at the hands of fat Sam.

I try not to talk shit ,sometimes we all do .  I would never say, I could do something I haven't done as it would be stupid . time will tell , season ticket got , I will see for myself , predictions are for idiots . stick to reality . its gonna be tough . leave it at that . he'll do his best of that i'm sure !! but he has never been there has he ? so who knows ?

Terrific article.  I find it hard to understand what people expect from Pearson. He has already proven himself to be a astute Manager, Now he just needs to continue that progress and prove himself a great Manager. Remember he has got us were we are now without spending much Money or pampering to the media.

We have a very good young team. A proven great Scouting setup, Our Training ground is state of the Art with all the Sports Science facilities now being studied by the FA and all the big premiership clubs. Our under 21s are also flying finishing a few points off the top of the league.

Yes we need a few new players to compliment what we have for the battle ahead. Yes he needs to tackle the loss of goals from set pieces. Kasper has to learn to come off his line more to claims balls early in the Box thereby sniffing out the danger early.

I just hope the Owners show the same faith in him over the next 3 years as he adjusts to team to survive and challenge in the premiership.  I really don't know what more Pearson has to do to convince some people.

My big fear is that in a few years he'll be gone to Manage England then people will realise that we will have lost our greatest Manager.

Terrific article. I find it hard to understand what people expect from Pearson. He has already proven himself to be a astute Manager, Now he just needs to continue that progress and prove himself a great Manager. Remember he has got us were we are now without spending much Money or pampering to the media.

We have a very good young team. A proven great Scouting setup, Our Training ground is state of the Art with all the Sports Science facilities now being studied by the FA and all the big premiership clubs. Our under 21s are also flying finishing a few points off the top of the league.

Yes we need a few new players to compliment what we have for the battle ahead. Yes he needs to tackle the loss of goals from set pieces. Kasper has to learn to come off his line more to claims balls early in the Box thereby sniffing out the danger early.

I just hope the Owners show the same faith in him over the next 3 years as he adjusts to team to survive and challenge in the premiership. I really don't know what more Pearson has to do to convince some people.

My big fear is that in a few years he'll be gone to Manage England then people will realise that we will have lost our greatest Manager.

I agree entirely, I give Hodgson until 2016 as England boss and then I fear Pearson might be top choice. I challenge anyone to name a better English manager. Now I say it have we really got the best English manager in the world?

I think he'll do OK. All a minor provincial club like us are likely to get are failed big names looking for a pay day so I can see him sticking largely with the current squad, Burnley and the other play off winners are going to struggle even more to get decent players and one of the current Prem teams is likely to implode (Villa?) so I can see survival as very possible.

I don't like Pearson, I know its not popular but I've given up debating it.  I've no interest in going along to watch his team so that leaves more season tickets for the rest of you.  Hope you all enjoy it and I'll catch the highlights on Match of the Day.

I think he'll do OK. All a minor provincial club like us are likely to get are failed big names looking for a pay day so I can see him sticking largely with the current squad, Burnley and the other play off winners are going to struggle even more to get decent players and one of the current Prem teams is likely to implode (Villa?) so I can see survival as very possible.

I don't like Pearson, I know its not popular but I've given up debating it.  I've no interest in going along to watch his team so that leaves more season tickets for the rest of you.  Hope you all enjoy it and I'll catch the highlights on Match of the Day.

If you've got no interest in watching a side that has just destroyed the Championship, breaking numerous records along the way, a side that may be on the cusp of a great era for the club, then it's probably for the best you don't bother.

I agree entirely, I give Hodgson until 2016 as England boss and then I fear Pearson might be top choice. I challenge anyone to name a better English manager. Now I say it have we really got the best English manager in the world?

I got odds of 16/1 that he will manage England before 2040 from paddy power

Nigel Pearson is certainly a manager who divides opinion amongst foxes supporters, I know there are certainly some fans who cannot accept him as our manager, and that often leaves me scratching my head in amazement. What else can this man possibly do to win over the small minority of supporters who cannot see that Nigel Pearson is a very talented manager?

On the other hand, a vast majority of supporters see Nigel Pearson as a man with potential to become our greatest ever manager, and rightly so. I think he has done a marvellous job since returning to the king power stadium (or walkers stadium, which it was called in his first spell with the club).

To the point of this post. I would like to take you on a journey through the past, as we look at the career of Nigel Pearson (prior to joining the foxes) and what has made him the manager he is today. The present, as he guided us to the Skybet Championship title in what can easily be considered his greatest managerial achievement to date, and to the future, as we have a look at how far his managerial ability can take us. So sit back and enjoy as I inform you all why Nigel Pearson IS good enough for the Premier League.

Nigel Pearson was born in Nottingham, 1963. Although becoming a footballer was his desired occupation, a career in the military was his backup plan, and judging by his seemingly strict and professional personality he would have been as successful in the military as he has been in football. However, it was not to be and in 1980, Nigel Pearson began his youth career with non-league Heanor Town, his spell at Heanor only lasted until 1981 as his potential as a centre half was discovered by then Second Division Shrewsbury Town in November.

For the remainder of the season Nigel Pearson failed to make an appearance for the first team but he did make an impression on the coaching staff. That impression earned him his proffessional debut on the opening day of the 1982/83 season, a 1-0 defeat at Oldham Athletic. He went on to play for Shrewsbury Town until 1987 when his ability was spotted by Sheffield Wednesday's Howard Wilkinson.

Nigel Pearson finally made a name for himself at Hillsborough, where he was made captain and helped guide the Owls to the league cup in 1991, being named man of the match in the final. Sheffield Wednesday were also promoted to the First Division that very same season. In the 1992/93 season he broke his leg in the league cup semi-final, which meant he would go on to miss out on two potential winners medals in the league cup and FA cup finals respectively. He was described as "the best captain he had ever worked with" by Ron Atkinson during his spell at the club between 1989 and 1991.

By 1994 Nigel Pearson was heading into the final stages of his playing career and he joined Bryan Robson's revolution at Middlesbrough after seven successful years at Sheffield Wednesday. He was made club captain by Robson and achieved two promotions and three domestic cup finals during his time at Boro, one of which was against Leicester and the first match our future owner, Top watched. Slightly ironic I know and I'm sure anybody reading this will not need reminding what happened in the 1997 league cup final, so I shall not bother. Pearson decided to call it a day in 1998 after a reasonably successful playing career.

In December 1998, Pearson was named Carlisle United manager until the end of the season. Although the return of five wins from thirty doesn't seem impressive, consider that this was Pearson's first delve into management at a very young age and that Carlisle were considered a poor side back then, even by Division Three standards. Pearson still guided them to safety against the odds thanks to an injury time goal on the last day of the season, courtesy of a goalkeeper (yes, you read it correctly) called Jimmy Glass, whom Pearson signed on loan for the club. In the summer of 1999, Nigel Pearson joined Gary Megson's backroom staff at Stoke City in the old Division Two where he stayed until 2001, when he was sacked by their Icelandic owners. He spent the next three years in exile before finally joining West Brom in 2004, reuniting with former manager Bryan Robson as his assistant.

In the 2004/05 season Pearson helped Robson mastermind West Brom to Premier League safety. The following season, they were unfortunately relegated and when Robson left the club in November 2006 Pearson was made caretaker manager for four games (three wins and one draw). The appointment of Tony Mowbray drove Pearson to seek alternative employment as Mowbray wanted to bring in his own assistant.

Pearson was brought to Newcastle United as Kevin Bond's replacement who was sacked following a bung scandal. His presence helped influence Newcastle's defence to tighten up significantly and in 2007 he was named as Stuart Pearce's assistant at England under 21's. Due to a technicality in Pearce's contract which restricted the amount of friendlies in which he could manage the team, Pearson guided England under 21's to a 3-3 draw in the first game at the new Wembley.

Pearson was put in charge for the final game of the 2006/07 season after Newcastle and Glenn Roeder parted company. The game against Watford ended in a draw. Following Sam Allardyce's arrival at the club, Pearson was demoted to coach. Later that season he was again put in temporary charge after Allardyce's dismissal, in his two games, he won one and lost one before Kevin Keegan was re-appointed and Pearson left the club soon after.

Southampton saw Pearson's potential as a manager and decided to give him a contract lasting until the end of the season to save them from relegation to League One. He did just that, at Leicester's expense may I add. He won three, drew seven and lost four of his fourteen matches and despite saving Southampton from the drop he didn't get offered an extension to his contract. Nigel Pearson finally got a proper chance at management with none other then the foxes.

Pearson's first full season as a football manager ended in success as he guided Leicester to the League One title, as you all know. The following season was another success story as he guided the foxes to the Championship play-offs but was seemingly pushed out of the door, and at the end of the season he jumped ship and joined Hull City, where it is safe to say he built the foundations that have played a huge part in consolidating Hull's Premier League status.

After over a year of expensive decisions by Leicester's Thai owners, they decided to turn back time and re-appoint Nigel Pearson in what was quite an embarrassing u-turn for the owners, who no doubt played a part in Pearson's departure during his last spell at the club. It has proved to be the right choice, but the moment the owners truly redeemed themselves was when they opted to stand by their man a year ago. That decision could possibly be one of the greatest in the club's history, and is refreshing in this day and age considering the high amount of trigger happy chairmen.

Everything about Nigel Pearson as a manager is positive. From his tactics to his transfer dealings, and I get the feeling that he genuinely cares for the club in the sense that he could spend ridiculous money on overrated players like Eriksson did, but he chooses a more cautious approach for the good of the club, financially. You could also argue that he could (and perhaps should) have told our owners "no chance, not after what happened last time" when they approached him about the job in 2012, but he didn't. He said in his press conference upon returning to the club that he has an affinity with Leicester and it is that mixed with the fact that he hadn't seen the job through last time out that made him want to come back I believe.

We have a manager who was made for the Premier League in my opinion and we should consider ourselves lucky to have him. He already has experience in the big time albeit on a coaching and playing basis but his record in the Premier League as a manager isn't bad, one win, one draw and one defeat in difficult circumstances following managerial dismissals after an extended run of poor form. Nigel had to pick all those "low on confidence" sides up and achieve results and he only lost once to an almost invincible Manchester United side, so what could Pearson do with a side high on confidence in the Premier League? Who knows.

I would like to suggest that Leicester's rise under Pearson will continue in the Premier League. We have someone described by a former Man Utd manager as "the best captain he ever worked with", a manager who's style has evolved over the last few years, and I am lucky to have witnessed it, as have all of you. He has evolved into a manager worthy of a full season in the Premier League, no matter what happens, whether we end up like Cardiff or not is debatable but I am convinced we are more likely to go the way Southampton have. We have a Premier League class manager at the helm of our beloved club for the first time since O'Neill and if he continues to bring success to Leicester we may face a struggle to keep him, but Pearson is a loyal man and I can see him staying for at least three more years regardless of how high he may take us, so let us all embrace the Pearson era and watch the greatest spell in our history unfold before our very eyes.

Up there with the best posts I've read on foxestalk, even if we are to drop down next year I think we would go straight back up. Would I accept city to be like WBA? A yoyo club for 3 seasons before having a continuous run in the prem, most definitely. Give him a 5 year contract and stick by him through the good times and the bad!

I don't like Pearson, I know its not popular but I've given up debating it. I've no interest in going along to watch his team so that leaves more season tickets for the rest of you. Hope you all enjoy it and I'll catch the highlights on Match of the Day.

More fool you.

Simply incredible. Given the evidence, I'd say you clearly don't have the best interests of the club at heart. Why bother supporting Leicester at all?

Good read but I'm still not sold on how he will deal with the big players we are certain to need.....eventually. I hope I am wrong and we finish in the top half a la MoN. Come on the foxes

Really? Surely the big player’s myth has been de-bunked. What classifies a big player? Mills, Beckford, Fernandes, Pansil, Ball,

Pearson understands the need for Squad harmony and team-spirit. Something which is vitally important, and vastly underrated. If you have a team of bad eggs then they don't play for each other,

Think it was Liam Moore who said about getting promoted with this 'best mates' that's a rare thing in modern football. Look at teams like Spurs, littered with big names but players like Sandro are just out for himself.

I'll go on record now of saying I don't want any so called big names. I much prefer young players, who play for the shirt and have something to prove.  

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but out of interest what is it about Pearson that you don't like?

I've always been a big Pearson fan, from league one to his return. I'm glad he has achieved what he has this season because he manages football clubs in what I class as the right way. My only ever slight criticism of him, was that sometimes he tended to be a re-active manager rather than a pro-active. Not this season though. His substitutions have been suburb from the first game of the season (Nugent coming on and changing the game) onwards.

Perhaps we should let hi win a few games in the PL first, if we're bottom at Christmas then he won't be quite so popular amongst Leicester fans let alone the press or England fans.

Guest MattP

Perhaps we should let hi win a few games in the PL first, if we're bottom at Christmas then he won't be quite so popular amongst Leicester fans let alone the press or England fans.

I think most fans realise that's not going to happen and we'll be more than ok.

I'm just thankful the board didn't listen to people like you, I can't even bare to think about having a season we have just taken away from the fans.

I do think we'll lose him in a couple of years so I'm just going to enjoy every week he is here from now on.

WTF?

How many people, even Man U fans, would say they actually liked Alex Ferguson? As opposed to respecting him. If the criterion was liking the manager, we would have appointed the Dalai Lama, FFS.

But echoing what others have said, what's not to like about Pearson? He took over (twice) a failing Leicester City squad and rebuilt them into a team of winners. He's got us playing really attractive football, and away from football he's shown himself to be a cultured, intelligent and grounded man with a good sense of humour and an engaging modesty. His backroom squad clearly like him and respect him, and he's very open about giving credit where it is due, to people like Craig Shakespeare and Steve Walsh, as well as to the physios and sports scientists. Like I say, what's not to like?

Who would you prefer? Ian Holloway?

Archived