Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Ulloa: Let's all be positive and welcome the new signing

Could be a solid signing. No PL experience and he's not super skillful, but he's gonna feast off of his teammates' wing play and speed. Definitely an upgrade to Wood as the team's big (in stature) striker, and considering all the money that's been thrown around in the PL, 7 mil' sounds pretty reasonable.

I'm ready to be excited for him (although a Brighton fan I know used the word Akinbiyi to describe him). From all the players we've been linked with, the prices floated around and what some of them went for, this seems about right. 

They were all about 8mil, mostly 28 or older, none proven above a championship or similar standard and few with a 20 a season track record. We've got one of them who's (marginally) younger and (marginally) cheaper. But most importantly, he's the one NP and the guys wanted. I think they've earned a little trust with their transfer dealings.

Genuine question...why is everyone so preoccupied with the money at the club? I really don't get it.

The Thais aren't skint, we made over 70 million from getting promoted and we've sold out of season tickets. Pretty much, every home game will be nearly sold out I suspect.

We are now Premiership. Before the likes of Babylon gets his sensible head on, I'm NOT advocating spending silly money. But 7 million quid, having made what we've made and will make, seems a scratch on the surface.

Doesn't it?

At last someone else seeing the kings not wearing any clothes. :thumbup:

Genuine question...why is everyone so preoccupied with the money at the club? I really don't get it.

The Thais aren't skint, we made over 70 million from getting promoted and we've sold out of season tickets. Pretty much, every home game will be nearly sold out I suspect.

We are now Premiership. Before the likes of Babylon gets his sensible head on, I'm NOT advocating spending silly money. But 7 million quid, having made what we've made and will make, seems a scratch on the surface.

Doesn't it?

I agree. And £7m is worth at least double what it was last time we were in the Prem.

I know wages must play a part in the package, as well.

It just strikes me as rather odd to pay £7m for an Argentine striker from a Championship club, while at the same time, Demba Ba goes to Turkey for £4.5m.

I guess age plays a part, too (Ba is two years older than Ulloa).

The relations are all upside down in a way.

He will go for that price because nobody is going to pay £10m+ and £80,000 a week in wages. It's pretty standard.

I just don't understand some of our 'supporters'? Here we are, in the best position in terms of league status and finance for so many years. We have a management team that seem balanced, experienced and good at what they do and we can look forward to seeing some of they very best players in the world over the next 9 months, yet they still have to find something to moan about or someone to take a pop at. We ain't a top 6 club, we ain't competing with them either, we will play in our own little league within the Prem and I for one am happy with our lot, it will be tough to survive, better teams than us have struggled in the past, but this is where I want us to be, these are the challenges I want us to face. Ulloa made our defenders look pedantic at the KP last season. I'm sure he will do the same to some of our competitors this season.

I can see a K-nockaert-esque debate occurring with the pronunciation of his name. Is oo-low-a, oo-yo-ah (Castellan Spanish) or oo-schwah (Latin Spanish)? Is the oo actually yoo? Probably for the best that Youngy's moved on!

I know wages must play a part in the package, as well.

It just strikes me as rather odd to pay £7m for an Argentine striker from a Championship club, while at the same time, Demba Ba goes to Turkey for £4.5m.

I guess age plays a part, too (Ba is two years older than Ulloa).

The relations are all upside down in a way.

My views entirely.

I can't get excited about this, he's just a bit of a munter y'know, and I'm convinced he's the reincarnation of the guy from the green mile that got fried first.

2285488.jpg?type=articleLandscape

6966.gif

But to be fair if NP is after a physical striker who can poach a goal and be on the end of some quality delivery off the wings (which I think we'll have with Mahrez, Knocky, and especially Albrighton) then he's as good as we're going to get no?

He impressed fairly well in a defensively set up Brighton squad last season, and that's despite injury, I think he'll do good for us, more to the point I think alongside Vardy he will give opposition multiple threats to worry about.

Signing strikers is always a little bit of a gamble, But I think he'll prove good value for us.

7 million is little money nowadays for a premiership player, especially a striker.

Any striker who has two goals from two cup matches against premiership opposition can't be two bad.

I also like the way he sorts his feet out quickly and takes up good positions in the box. 

Yes the more I think about it the more I think Pearson has got it right again.

Doesn't it?

I'm not bothered about paying £7m for Ulloa if that's who we wanted.

But lots of people on here seemed to think we'd be able to spend £30/40/£50m no problem with the prem money. And that was before all the £180m nonsense the press reported.

As I said at the time that's just not feasible, even more so now FFP has come into place.

When you take into account the losses we were already running at, the bonuses paid to players and staff, automatic wage increases and renewed contracts the amount left over to spend on new player fees and wages isn't going to be those kind of amounts.

You only need to look at Saints books, their losses and amounts outstanding on players to see that.

The way the club and Pearson have acted since he came back I have every faith in them to sensibly invest without taking silly risks. Which is what they have been preaching.

If people are moaning at the moment, why not look at is this way, this will be so far 5/6 signings we have made, and spent 7mil…..

Thats no money at all for the money. the only problem i can see is that spending money like that on someone means you gotta play him every week, lets hope he's physically up to it. Im very hopeful! good signing

Archived