Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
maxwelld_

Darren Bent On Loan To Brighton

He's scored 6 goals in his last 46 Premier League games. He commands a huge wage. We'll be adding a striker that can't score very often to other strikers who can't score very often.

He's in a rut caused by low confidence and not playing regularly, no doubt about that. But 24 of those 46 games were at Fulham last season – a terrible team where he was only on loan – and the rest sporadic appearances for Villa. Not exactly settled.  

I think if he's given a starting spot and a "bit of loving" he has the ability to be a very good Premier league striker. He was quality at Sunderland - hence Villa splashed around £20m on him (not that large fees automatically mean quality, but he was in the England squad at the time). 

The wage could be a problem. Maybe I'm being naive but if he really wants to leave and play regularly at the highest level he might take a pay cut. Or are those days officially over? Footballers actually wanting to play football?

Another thing is that we wouldn't have to pay over the odds for him. His contract runs out next summer. Although that could throw in another variable – he might want to run it down and go and cash in in the MLS or something. 

(Couldn't find a thread on him so mods please feel free to move if I missed it).

Just seen that Villa are sending Darren Bent out to Brighton on a short-term loan.

As we're struggling for goals, I would look to sign him in January. 

1. Bent could just be the thing we need. He is lethal in the box and has what many have called for – "proven quality". 50+ Premier league goals in 110 games at Villa and Sunderland - when he was playing week in week out.

2. He was club captain for a period at Villa - so must have some leadership qualities and a decent attitude. Him not getting a game at Villa is a mystery. 

3. He's only 30 so wouldn't just be a quick fix. At least two seasons left in him.

4. He would have a point to prove so motivation wouldn't be a problem - especially if we and Villa are both in a relegation scrap. 

The more I think about it, the thought of Bent, Ulloa and Vardy as our options up front make me quite excited. As much as I love Nuge, I have given up on him making an impact this season. I see him more of a squad player at the moment.

Already being discussed in the General Football section.

He's a weird one, will be interesting to see how does in December for Brighton getting actual starts. The large wage would be a risk given he's not had much of a run of starting games recently.

In the last 2 and a bit seasons, he has played 47 league games of which only 19 have been starts, with a return of 6 goals. They're hardly inspiring statistics. 

However, the 2 seasons before that he played 38 games, starting 37 of them and notched up 18 goals which isn't a terrible return.

So either he's been unlucky and not been given a decent chance, or something has gone wrong, a loss of pace, form or a poor attitude has meant he's not earning a place in the starting line ups.

As much as I want to sign Sergio Aguero, we have to be realistic and look at who we can attract in our predicament.

Maybe with some good man management, at his age and record at this level could mean he might be worth a punt - if the fee/wages were right.

That said whilst you could argue that the strikers aren't experienced enough, we also need to look at giving them better service...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what’s known as putting the cart before the horse.

If we were missing lots of chances then maybe Bent could help. But we’re not even creating chances, so he would just be a passenger in our side.

We need someone like Tom Huddlestone who can add some creativity into our midfield.

If we were missing lots of chances then maybe Bent could help. But we’re not even creating chances, so he would just be a passenger in our side.

We need someone like Tom Huddlestone who can add some creativity into our midfield.

I think he's a defensive midfielder, only assisted 1 and scored 0 this season.

I'd say since his time at Villa in 2011 the only decent season he's had there was his first season, without his goals in that first season Villa would probably have gone down. Since then he's been very injury prone and when he does return from injury he doesn't offer much, not worth his wages Leicester wouldn't have missed much. Perhaps the championship will be more his level.

I think he's a defensive midfielder, only assisted 1 and scored 0 this season.

A word of advice fella: I wouldn’t use the term “d*vens*ve m*dfielder” on Foxestalk unless you’re prepared for a 2-day raging argument about which exact blades of grass are covered by such a player. J

I think you’re right though : Huddlestone was just the first name that came to mind. What we need is someone like Yohan Cabaye. Someone who plays that role but obviously worse so that we could sign them.

In fact, if Andy King played for another club I’d say he’s exactly who we need to sign.

Hull create that many chances? :giggle:

Archived