Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

St Etienne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Super St Etienne beat Lyon 1-0 today

Puel ball takes effect straight away

:D

Honestly one of the worst games I've seen in ages. 

Made United at the Geordies look good. 

Bit of a shame to see what Sylvinho is doing at Lyon, they were cracking to watch last few years and I quite liked him as a player. 

They're utter garbage this year. Sure, Ndombele and Fekir are losses but that's no excuse. 

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Honestly one of the worst games I've seen in ages. 

Made United at the Geordies look good. 

Bit of a shame to see what Sylvinho is doing at Lyon, they were cracking to watch last few years and I quite liked him as a player. 

They're utter garbage this year. Sure, Ndombele and Fekir are losses but that's no excuse. 

French football in general seems so poor at present (weird as the national team are so strong etc) as if you take PSG out of the equation the others are a mish mash of average to poor sides

20 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

French football in general seems so poor at present (weird as the national team are so strong etc) as if you take PSG out of the equation the others are a mish mash of average to poor sides

Even PSG haven't looked convincing this year. 

Last year Lyon were great to watch, I like to adopt a team to follow on BT that are on most weekends and I've been watching a lot of Lyon since BT lost Serie A. I've seen most of their games this year and they've been hideous.

Last year, Lille, Lyon, Strasbourg, Saint Etienne, Marseille and Nice were all quite good watching. 

This year, everyone's got the Monaco bug. They're all shit. 

Three points split 11th and 20th! STE jumped seven places winning last night with one shit header haha.

Best value for money atm on BT is probably Dortmund in the Bundesliga. Score loads but can't defend for shit, every game is a roller-coaster. 

• Like 1

The problem with Ligue Un is regular turn-over in playing staff. For example, Lille were an exciting team full of youth last season but now they have sold their best players and in the process of the next generation developing. 

It's a continuous repeat. The recent takeover of Nice may change that but even they know that they can just aim for 2nd and keep the CL money every year at profit without greatly investing in their squad. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The problem with Ligue Un is regular turn-over in playing staff. For example, Lille were an exciting team full of youth last season but now they have sold their best players and in the process of the next generation developing. 

It's a continuous repeat. The recent takeover of Nice may change that but even they know that they can just aim for 2nd and keep the CL money every year at profit without greatly investing in their squad. 

It kinda surprises me the state of French domestic football tbf. 

French rugby has one of the biggest television deals in rugby union, their clubs are the wealthiest in the Northern hemisphere (sans Saracens who are corrupt af.) Their league is full of stars. 

Why has French domestic football fallen so far behind the rest of Europe's big boys? 

It's a huge country, pretty stable economy, loads of fans, big clubs, produces a shit load of great footballers, national team is world champions, league gets broadcast internationally, has a half decent UEFA coefficient. 

How come it can't even compete with the Bundesliga and it's fan ownership model? What's the state of the broadcast rights within the country? 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It kinda surprises me the state of French domestic football tbf. 

French rugby has one of the biggest television deals in rugby union, their clubs are the wealthiest in the Northern hemisphere (sans Saracens who are corrupt af.) Their league is full of stars. 

Why has French domestic football fallen so far behind the rest of Europe's big boys? 

It's a huge country, pretty stable economy, loads of fans, big clubs, produces a shit load of great footballers, national team is world champions, league gets broadcast internationally, has a half decent UEFA coefficient. 

How come it can't even compete with the Bundesliga and it's fan ownership model? What's the state of the broadcast rights within the country? 

French football isn't overly popular with the middle class of France - that certainly affects the ownership and the crowd numbers. The owners really vary in their origin - peculiar in fact; some are owned by huge companies, others by very rich businessmen and others literally by dodgy characters. 

The sport is played by lads of dual nationality, watched by lads of dual nationality from hard backgrounds and it's the sport of the working class. I think this largely leads to their domestic game just not being supported in the same manner rugby does. Worth mentioning as well some of French Rugby's ties to biggest industries such as Mechelin with Clermont. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...