Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
stingray

Independent - if Pearson takes on the world, he’ll lose

Recommended Posts

Posted

So you think he made a calculated ploy to strangle someone and get into a media row with a club legend?

If his forward planning was that well thought out I'm guessing we wouldn't be bottom.

Posted

How can the press question Mourinho ethics, he would just point them in the direction of the trophy cabinet.

That said I don't think I have ever seen him do the things Nigel has.

 

He's eye gauged another manager/coach in Spain. Much worse than some nothing incident where a player crashes into him and afterwards literally nobody involved makes a big deal out of it apart from the media.

 

Not saying it wasn't odd, just another thing people can't wait to jump on.

Posted

So you think he made a calculated ploy to strangle someone and get into a media row with a club legend?

 

I think that's his no nonsense personality. Gary was well out of line with what he said, whether it is true or not. I expect Pearson to react better but I'm not crucifying him for it like some of these people who have their tongues buried in Lineker's arsehole just because he's a Leicester legend. I've said it elsewhere, they're both being childish but Lineker's comments are much more unprofessional.

Posted

I think it's pretty unanimous that nobody around the club has covered themselves in glory here, with the exception of whichever Raksriaksorn(sp) cancelled the sacking - I think the implications are that it was Top.

 

This is the sort of situation where everybody needs to just agree to disagree and get on with it for the sake of the club.  I still have a lot of time for Pearson, he's clearly under a lot more pressure than he ever has been and is obviously struggling a bit with the newfound media scrutiny now that we're in the PL.  After all's said and done though, he's still the same man who's achieved more with this club than any other manager since O'Neill, consistently improving the club in each consecutive season at the helm so I think he's earned the right to a few good graces.  We should wait and see what happens between now and the end of the season then reconsider.  If he continues to make gaffes and the team plays poorly then fair enough, but I don't think he or it will.  It simply isn't in his character.

Posted

I really hope Nigel can turn it around for us and shove all this criticism from the media up their arses. 

So do I, he hasn't been treated fairly in this incidence, he wasn't the one who told the media that he has been sacked, what a horrible set of circumstances!!

Posted

He's eye gauged another manager/coach in Spain. Much worse than some nothing incident where a player crashes into him and afterwards literally nobody involved makes a big deal out of it apart from the media.

 

Not saying it wasn't odd, just another thing people can't wait to jump on.

Good point but when you have achieved what JM has achieved there is much less scope to be critiqued on your actions, NP obviously considers himself a hardman you don't have to dig to deep to find the story of him head butting Mills, as Manager unfortunately you are meant to lead by example, unprofessional behaviour such as telling fans to F off and die and the actions we saw the weekend are not common place hence the media frenzy.

I have a lot of respect for what the man has achieved, and had high expectations for this season based on the level of financial backing by the board.

But I feel everybody is accountable for their actions and NP's stubbornness that both incidents didn't warrant some sort of hands up apology for beng unprofessional leave a lot to be desired.

People forget how he was after the Man U game (smug) and the Burnley game(very unsportsman like), for neutrals I beleive any respect for the man was lost prior to these incidents.

Posted

We are talking about it, aren't we. What happened to the massive outrage that we lost the most important game of the season. That would put more pressure on his job and team, then this would. I'm not saying that he strangled the player on purpose, but when the opportunity arose he took it. Mourinho does the same thing as well, especially when his teams are losing. He will find some way to make himself the story and not the teams performance

While I think it's not unreasonable to believe some of what has been said the last couple of days could have been intentional, the main focus of all this is SSN stating speculation as a matter of fact and the media running with it. That part is anything but intentional - he's just been the victim of vultures in the press(albeit he and the club have probably not reacted the best) and by consequence talk is about everything but tonight's game.

Posted

Good point but when you have achieved what JM has achieved there is much less scope to be critiqued on your actions, NP obviously considers himself a hardman you don't have to dig to deep to find the story of him head butting Mills, as Manager unfortunately you are meant to lead by example, unprofessional behaviour such as telling fans to F off and die and the actions we saw the weekend are not common place hence the media frenzy.

I have a lot of respect for what the man has achieved, and had high expectations for this season based on the level of financial backing by the board.

But I feel everybody is accountable for their actions and NP's stubbornness that both incidents didn't warrant some sort of hands up apology for beng unprofessional leave a lot to be desired.

People forget how he was after the Man U game (smug) and the Burnley game(very unsportsman like), for neutrals I beleive any respect for the man was lost prior to these incidents.

 

I have been a lot less happy with his attitude this season to be honest. There are things like you've mentioned that can't be defended. He's always held his tongue in the past though. This is one of few times where he must be feeling the pressure. We all know who he is, he doesn't take bullshit but at the same time he generally doesn't make mountains out of molehills. I think some of what he's said is right but I've also been surprised he's got into this pissing match with Gary. All a little bit disappointing.

Posted

I think that's his no nonsense personality. Gary was well out of line with what he said, whether it is true or not. I expect Pearson to react better but I'm not crucifying him for it like some of these people who have their tongues buried in Lineker's arsehole just because he's a Leicester legend. I've said it elsewhere, they're both being childish but Lineker's comments are much more unprofessional.

Didn't lineker react to the fountain of knowledge and tax dig 1st before saying what he knew, so if anything Linekers is responding to NP

Press comment

Posted

Mourinho pulls shit like this all the time and nobody gets in a tiz over it.

 

Exactly, he had to run away from Spain because he was struggling to win trophies ahead of Barca and he resorted to poking people in their eyes.

 

He's the biggest Yogurt Slinger out there and people stick there head up his arse because he says 'No' in a funny way to questions.

Posted

Didn't lineker react to the fountain of knowledge and tax dig 1st before saying what he knew, so if anything Linekers is responding to NP

Press comment

 

Yeah, I'm not arguing over who said what first. Pearson made a sarcy comment but Lineker's revealing details about the running of the club. I'm not sure how people are defending him. 

Posted

Yeah, I'm not arguing over who said what first. Pearson made a sarcy comment but Lineker's revealing details about the running of the club. I'm not sure how people are defending him.

Well I guess it's like being on here, we agree we disagree. Just because linekers is in the public eye doesn't mean he wasn't offended by the Tax comments, lineker can't be held accountable for what is show on match of the day ( his name is not on the production/director credits is it?)

So therefore was just dong his job analysing an incident of match of the day, no need for Nigel's bitchy tax comment, as they say people in glasses houses shouldn't throw stones

Posted

We are talking about it, aren't we. What happened to the massive outrage that we lost the most important game of the season. That would put more pressure on his job and team, then this would. I'm not saying that he strangled the player on purpose, but when the opportunity arose he took it. Mourinho does the same thing as well, especially when his teams are losing. He will find some way to make himself the story and not the teams performance

 

There's just no reasoning with some people!

 

Tonight, if he runs on the pitch and horse-whips Mesut Ozil, you'll be on here tomorrow going "Very clever that. No-ones talking about the defeat."

 

:D

Posted

There's just no reasoning with some people!

 

Tonight, if he runs on the pitch and horse-whips Mesut Ozil, you'll be on here tomorrow going "Very clever that. No-ones talking about the defeat."

 

:D

If that happened and anyone complained then I'd lose all faith in humanity.

Posted

While I think it's not unreasonable to believe some of what has been said the last couple of days could have been intentional, the main focus of all this is SSN stating speculation as a matter of fact and the media running with it. That part is anything but intentional - he's just been the victim of vultures in the press(albeit he and the club have probably not reacted the best) and by consequence talk is about everything but tonight's game.

 

Fair enough. I'm not talking about Pearson sparking rumours over his own sacking. That would be mind games on another level.

 

I'm just saying for me, its strange for Pearson to appear to grab Mccarthur by the throat, because he would have known the consequences regardless of his intentions. His comments after the game seemed strange and having a go at MOTD pundits included. Pearson himself built the game up, so he knew the players and himself would get slaughtered if we lost. Think he was trying to divert the attention away

Posted

Probably.

 

But if I had to do it I'd certainly want him with me in trying.

 

(with Wasyl just behind him as well)

:nigel:

Posted

I genuinely believe that Nige just finds it uncomfortable talking to the media. This can come across as arrogance and aggression. He's visibly shaken at the moment, his interview yesterday proved that. I think maybe a spell back in the stands would be a decent decision by Nige

Posted

Feels and reads like a rather odd article. Much in the realm of an amalgamate, with pieces forced together to give the reader a glimpse of what Pearson might be in person.

The portrait fails insofar in that it takes the outside role, basing its content on observations, rehashed old news and rumours.

I'd have loved more input and quotes from the man himself, but herein lies the problem: Pearson isn't as open to the media as others, he doesn't give too much away, so the media are forced - in the quest to fill their pages - to construct something, anything.

At the current time, the information value here tends towards zero. It strikes me as an attempt at jumping on a bandwagon.

Posted

 

 
l
 
It is the best story about Nigel Pearson, perhaps the best story about any Premier League manager, and it concerns the man still in charge of Leicester City and a pack of wild dogs that he encountered while hiking alone in the Carpathian mountains.

 

 

Pearson’s most detailed account of the incident came in a documentary Sky Sports made about the newly promoted Leicester last summer. “There was five of them,” he recalled, “and what they do is that one goes for you and the others [circle] around until one of them can bring you down – what they essentially do is rip the throat out.”

 

He said he had escaped them first time by throwing himself into a “patch of brambles and nettles” where he knew the dogs would not follow. When they attacked a second time he had only his walking poles to defend himself. “I backed myself against a tree,” Pearson said. “I thought ‘I don’t want to get attacked from behind’. I was absolutely goosed by this point.” He did not go into details about how he survived, saying only that he “managed to get rid of them”.

 

A man not given to hyperbole, Pearson reflected on the incident – he is a keen walker, who sought out the Carpathians having conquered most of Britain’s mountains, peaks and trails – as if he was looking back on a bad home defeat. “It was,” he said, “not a nice experience.”

As football managers’ holidays go, Pearson’s adventure stands very much alone. Certainly, a good deal more adventurous than anything the profession is likely to encounter in its favoured haunts of Dubai or Florida. One would struggle to imagine, for instance, Sam Allardyce and Steve Bruce being forced to fight wild animals on their annual Portugal golf jaunt together – although it is best never to rule it out.

 

A man not given to hyperbole, Pearson reflected on the incident – he is a keen walker, who sought out the Carpathians having conquered most of Britain’s mountains, peaks and trails – as if he was looking back on a bad home defeat. “It was,” he said, “not a nice experience.”

As football managers’ holidays go, Pearson’s adventure stands very much alone. Certainly, a good deal more adventurous than anything the profession is likely to encounter in its favoured haunts of Dubai or Florida. One would struggle to imagine, for instance, Sam Allardyce and Steve Bruce being forced to fight wild animals on their annual Portugal golf jaunt together – although it is best never to rule it out. 

Above all, it certainly suggested a man with an interest in the wider world and a life outside of football who is unprepared to allow his job, and all it encompasses, to consume him. Having listened to the wild dogs story, the interviewer in the documentary ventured that it must make dealing with chairmen and owners feel easier by comparison. “Life,” Pearson replied, “is about perspective.”

Amen to that. Yet come Saturday against Crystal Palace, Pearson seemed to have lost most of his. When he pinned James McArthur to the ground, and then refused to let go with the sleeve-tugging persistence of a parent with a three-year-old, the question again presented itself. What is it that pushes experienced managers into self-destructive acts when a carefully built career can be shattered in a moment’s misjudgement?

In his 2006 autobiography, Gordon Strachan, never a manager who could bury his feelings, gives one of the most vivid insights into the job in the first chapter, “The Pressure Game”. He talks of an evening in the 1980s when he was at Manchester United and his manager, then just plain Alex Ferguson, broke down in tears in the Strachans’ front room. They had been caring for Ferguson’s three sons while his wife, Cathy, recovered from an illness.

“While talking about not having given her and his children enough attention, he [Ferguson] became so emotional that he burst into tears,” Strachan wrote. “The very last thing you would have expected of someone with his image.”

As for his own career, Strachan cannot forget the sheer relief he felt during his periods out of work when his wife, Lesley, could take down the sign in her kitchen that reads: “We interrupt this marriage to bring you the football season.”

Those who cover Leicester regularly would say Pearson has a relationship with the press as prickly as that patch of brambles he escaped into. That is his choice, but of late it has been the rest of his behaviour that is suggestive of a man needlessly in danger of chucking everything away.

There was no climbdown over the McArthur incident which, whatever might have happened with the player’s aborted transfer to Leicester last summer, required an apology from the Foxes manager. He should not have grabbed McArthur as he did, and a simple acknowledgement, regardless of what the player said later, would have eased some pressure around his position at the club.

More than ever now it seems that his job was only just saved over the course of Sunday evening when, after he had reportedly been sacked by one member of the Srivaddhanaprabha family who own the club, there was a move to reverse the decision. Pearson might feel that, having twice won promotion at the club he has served over two – is it now three? – spells, he needs to give no explanations for his behaviour, and if so it is a strangely self-destructive impulse.

It is a romantic notion that a modern-day Premier League manager can live independent of the scrutiny that engulfs the game these days, but the reality is that it exists and, whether one approves of it or not, it has to be handled. With his refusal to apologise to the fan he told to “**** off and die”, and now the McArthur incident, it feels like Pearson is retreating further into a bunker from which he might not emerge.

He is at pains to present himself as a man who lives in blissful ignorance of the 24-hour news cycle and Twitter – and good for him – but that seems increasingly matched by an impulse to fight the world. You wonder if there is anyone on his staff in a position to advise him to take a deep breath and concede a little ground.

There is a reason why the Uefa Pro Licence courses teach modules on dealing with the media and, while it might offend the sensibility of the old school to which Pearson belongs, there is no doubt that it is an integral part of the job. The best managers turn it into an advantage rather than a chore and the most accomplished – Ferguson, Jose Mourinho – use press conferences as a way of addressing their own players, as well as the opposition.

Pearson said in the summer he was contemplating changing his approach but that plan seems to have been abandoned. Insistent that he had not known about the reports of his sacking on Sunday, he said yesterday: “Have you ever tried ringing me? You can’t get me. My cat was sitting on my knee all [sunday] afternoon, I was like Blofeld. You can keep trying all you want but I am not going to elaborate any further on this story.”

That at least shows a glimpse of the sense of humour that can be useful in these situations. This season he has divided Leicester fans between those whose remain loyal after those two promotions and those who think he has made too many mistakes. In some respects, it is admirable that he is so unwilling to change but he need not betray his principles to give himself a better chance of survival.

British managers fall out of this game at an alarming rate. A glance back over Pearson’s CV reminds you that at Newcastle he was assistant to Glenn Roeder, who managed two Premier League clubs but has not had a job since 2009. Roeder is a well-regarded coach and his story, along with countless other managers, tells you that this is a game that is very quick to forget. Especially those who find themselves on  the outside.

 

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sam-wallace-nigel-pearson-has-outfought-wild-dogs-but-if-he-takes-on-the-world-hell-lose-10035080.html

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well that says it all.

Posted

Yeah, I'm not arguing over who said what first. Pearson made a sarcy comment but Lineker's revealing details about the running of the club. I'm not sure how people are defending him. 

Why did Pearson have to make that tax jibe? It was truly out of order. I am not surprised Gary reacted as he did. The whole scenario of late, has been quite bizarre, and Pearson continues to shoot himself in the foot. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...